• New!

    Try our new Social Feeds, look out for the navigation icon: . You can now set default social feed view in your account preferences.

Beginner Saxes New to sax - Odyssey

SarahT

Member
Messages
18
Location
Yorkshire
Hi all. My son is keen to learn sax. Now he’s brought it up I fancy learning myself!
He plays violin and I played flute in my (distant youth). I have NO CLUE about saxophones.

We have a local store that services saxophones and they also teach (no room for lessons at the moment though). There’s a secondhand Odyssey we could buy. It’s £300 and I’m guessing the basic model. We could both play it (once I stopped overthinking it!). I’m just checking whether it’s worth buying from a local place where any issues can be instantly sorted (one year warranty with same day turnaround). I know I could get a new sax for this but wouldn’t be able to get that sorted so easily.

I know in the world of the sax this is peanuts! But definitely a big whack for the first toe dip into this world.

Any pearls of wisdom would be massively appreciated. Thanks.
 
Regarding plan A - knowing you can have the horn checked and working, locally and at no extra cost, for a year is, itself, valuable. It's quite hard for beginners to know if their struggles are them or the horn. This way you can be assured it's you (!).
 
Vote:
Upvote 0
I always seem to be pushing Headwind in Bristol but I promise I have no connection to them. Anyway, they do their own brand and a new alto is £350. They also hire them with a Zetland, their brand, at £19 a month and used ones if available for £15. They mention a Trevor James but it seems to have modified keywork for children whatever that might be but I don’t think it’s what you want. They’re worth a call, shut Mondays. Here’s a link Rental | Headwind Music, you can see the sax elsewhere on the site.

One problem with this is that getting it serviced will be a pain assuming you are renting. I looked at Hanson and they have a range of options for renting and a scheme called pay as you play which means you buy it over two years but can sell it back to them if you decide you don’t want it. The overall cost is more than you are looking at but could still be to your advantage. They are a lot handier for you as well.
 
Last edited:
Vote:
Upvote 0
My first saxophone was an Artemis and I had no problems with it.
It was bought with all the research of walking past the shop and thinking I fancy buying a saxophone, going in and that being recommended and demonstrated and then in the only lesson I've had he showed me how to play three notes.
(I can play a few more now.)
It’s good to know that they’re both good choices.
 
Vote:
Upvote 0
I always seem to be pushing Headwind in Bristol but I promise I have no connection to them. Anyway, they do their own brand and a new alto is £350. They also hire them with a Zetland, their brand, at £19 a month and used ones if available for £15. They mention a Trevor James but it seems to have modified keywork for children whatever that might be but I don’t think it’s what you want. They’re worth a call, shut Mondays. Here’s a link Rental | Headwind Music, you can see the sax elsewhere on the site.

One problem with this is that getting it serviced will be a pain assuming you are renting. I looked at Hanson and they have a range of options for renting and a scheme called pay as you play which means you buy it over two years but can sell it back to them if you decide you don’t want it. The overall cost is more than you are looking at but could still be to your advantage. They are a lot handier for you as well.
Thanks, I’ll look into Headwind too.
 
Vote:
Upvote 0
Regarding plan A - knowing you can have the horn checked and working, locally and at no extra cost, for a year is, itself, valuable. It's quite hard for beginners to know if their struggles are them or the horn. This way you can be assured it's you (!).
This is so true and the main reason for going to a local shop. Think we may hire first after advice on here, though. And take it from there.
 
Vote:
Upvote 0

Trending

Latest Song of the Month

Forum statistics

Topics
32,261
Messages
575,966
Members
8,083
Latest member
Reedswinds
Back
Top Bottom