All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

Beginner Sax New to sax - Odyssey

SarahT

Hi all. My son is keen to learn sax. Now he’s brought it up I fancy learning myself!
He plays violin and I played flute in my (distant youth). I have NO CLUE about saxophones.

We have a local store that services saxophones and they also teach (no room for lessons at the moment though). There’s a secondhand Odyssey we could buy. It’s £300 and I’m guessing the basic model. We could both play it (once I stopped overthinking it!). I’m just checking whether it’s worth buying from a local place where any issues can be instantly sorted (one year warranty with same day turnaround). I know I could get a new sax for this but wouldn’t be able to get that sorted so easily.

I know in the world of the sax this is peanuts! But definitely a big whack for the first toe dip into this world.

Any pearls of wisdom would be massively appreciated. Thanks.

nigeld

I don't need another mouthpiece; but . . .
Café Supporter
I'm assuming that the instrument is an alto. £300 for a secondhand Odyssey sounds high to me, though a shop will always charge more than a private sale and the 1-year warranty is certainly worth quite a lot.

The thing about cheap Chinese-made saxes is that the good ones are very good, but the bad ones are horrid, and it can be hard for a beginner to tell which is which.

Do you know anyone who could try it out for you? When I bought my first saxophone, I paid a local professional to test-play it - this cost me the same as a lesson, and I think it was well worth it.

If you just want to put a toe in the water, then hiring is an alternative to buying.

Vote:
Upvote 0

SarahT

It is for an alto. You’re confirming my initial thoughts. He played it for us and it did sound great. But my guess is he’s good enough to make anything sound good! There was no pressure but we know no one who knows more than we do.
I think I may look into hiring. Where would be good to look into that. I think I saw that option on sax.co.uk
So sorry for all the questions, it’s so tricky when you’re clueless.

Vote:
Upvote 0

randulo

Living the dream
Café Supporter
@SarahT is it possible to hire/rent or rent to buy? That's the way I went, I rented a Jupiter beginner alto. AFter a few months, I renewed. I ended up buying something else, though because I didn't think the rental one would have much value if resold.

Vote:
Upvote 0

randulo

Living the dream
Café Supporter
I think I may look into hiring.
Messages crossed! You definitely want to do this IMO, because if it all works out as you are hoping, you won't be stuck with an inferior instrument, and if for some reason alto or sax isn't what it seems to be, you didn't invest a lump sum for nothing.

Vote:
Upvote 0

SarahT

Messages crossed! You definitely want to do this IMO, because if it all works out as you are hoping, you won't be stuck with an inferior instrument, and if for some reason alto or sax isn't what it seems to be, you didn't invest a lump sum for nothing.
Hmmm, looks like this should be our plan. Do you mind me asking where you hired from? Was it expensive?

Vote:
Upvote 0

randulo

Living the dream
Café Supporter
Hmmm, looks like this should be our plan. Do you mind me asking where you hired from? Was it expensive?
It would be very pricey, since I'm in France, but you would enjoy the wine here in Bordeaux!

I was paying 30€ per month for 3 months. So that 3 month rental was just under £78.

Vote:
Upvote 0

SarahT

It would be very pricey, since I'm in France, but you would enjoy the wine here in Bordeaux!

I was paying 30€ per month for 3 months. So that 3 month rental was just under £78
Ah, yes Bordeaux to Sheffield won’t work!!! Oh but the wine, and the gorgeous light. I’m so envious.

Vote:
Upvote 0

thomsax

My neighbour is playing a Odyssey alto sax. She use to play blues and rock guitar and wanted to give the saxophone a try. I helped her and then the corona came ..... . I don't think these saxes are bad as beginner saxes. I offerd her to borrow an Indian alto but she wanted something more modern.

Vote:
Upvote 0

nigeld

Café Supporter
Yes, it's worth checking Hanson to see what secondhand instruments they have.
Apparently you need to ring them if you want to get in touch - they are bad at answering emails.

UKSaxHire have a very good reputation for hiring

Vote:
Upvote 0

SarahT

Final question....
If we hire do we go Trevor James Artemis or Yamaha YAS-280? Obviously massively different price points to buying.

Vote:
Upvote 0

Targa

Among the pigeons
Café Supporter
My first saxophone was an Artemis and I had no problems with it.
It was bought with all the research of walking past the shop and thinking I fancy buying a saxophone, going in and that being recommended and demonstrated and then in the only lesson I've had he showed me how to play three notes.
(I can play a few more now.)

Vote:
Upvote 0

nigeld

Café Supporter
Final question....
If we hire do we go Trevor James Artemis or Yamaha YAS-280? Obviously massively different price points to buying.
I haven't played the Artemis, but I once owned a YAS-280, and it was an excellent instrument.

Vote:
Upvote 0

eb424

I guess it all depends on whether your going to buy the one you hire...you cant go wrong with a yam selling on wise..i also dont know if you are hoing to get 2 otherwise there may be fights over whose turn it is...my mate started on the gear for music it was a good starting point.. i bought a jp 141 blues which was also ok...do kind of wish id rented for a few months then tried out in a shop, hansons make good saxes but it would be easier to sell a yam but expensive to rent, cheap to buy sax may mean issues and you wont know if its you or the sax, you may be lucky or not. I would say you will lose money anyway ( probably) if you buy a sax and dont enjoy it, if i had the choice again now i would hire for 3 monthd then buy a good sax if i enjoyed it. Dont forget you need mouthpieces and reeds etc. 3 months will give you enought time to decide without to much of an investment only time.....

Vote:
Upvote 0

Popular Discussions

Top Bottom