support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

New Better Worst This Week

Better; do i keep my Mauriat Low Bb:mrcool

I dont think two Baritones is self indulgent:)))

I have the same dilemma. When I record them my old Martin sounds the same as the bauhaus (but not as in tune), but when playing it does seem to have a certain je ne sais quoi (except that I don't know what it is). Hmmm...

New: all the nice birthday wishes (thanks so much - maybe we should start a birthday/anniversary thread?)

Better: the sun is shining - and my oldie but turning out to be a goodie Martin bari has held up nicely to regular red squirrel patrols -

Worst: the darn things keep coming back!

Hi Pete, Martin told me you had got yourself a BW Baritone,i must say i did hesitate on the last shipment and missed out but it was worth the wait i cannot believe how good these horns are.:welldoneI have never had chance to try a Martin Bari but i know what you mean about that certain something that is almost impossible to put your finger on, i had an old Big B a few years ago great tone but quirky intonation, the crook was really short had to get it extended to get in tune.
birdman

I must say it has been a pleasure talking to the Guvnor:)

New: PPT 8* Mouth piece arrived on Tuesday. Thanks Pete.

Better: Getting used to it after a few hours practice. Great tone, starting to like it a lot.

Worse: It's Friday, I'm not working over the weekend, seeing Dr Feelgood tonight, concert band practice tomorrow morning, rock/blues band practice tomorrow afternoon, understanding wife, kids don't miss me, more beer Saturday night. Can't think of anything for Worse other than back to work on Monday.

New: the hummingbirds have returned

Better: invite to join Vermont Military Band for the summer

Worse: Concert band has wrapped up it's season until the fall .....

Best: good friends in BR :welldone

New: starting gigging as a duet with my wife, thanks to the advice on this forum re: audacity and backing tapes

Better: Playing the blues better than ever

Worse: Playing the blues better 'cause I've now been out of work for 5 months with no propsect of getting a job this year. As the recent BBC 4(?) programme said, you've got to feel the blues to play them. Plus rehearsing everyday helps.

worse: Having learnt to play the Pink Panther theme without looking at the music, on Saturday I couldn't play it at all!!!

(might have been something to do with the 8 bottles of various different ales I'd
drunk during the afternoon)

New: Sunny weather

Better: Going to France on holiday tomorrow, biking around for a few days.

Worse: My dog is ill and I'm worried but wife will take good care of him. £88 to see vet today, more on Monday. Don't care about the money though, two saxes-worth will give him all the treatment he needs. Can always get another sax, can't get another dog like this one.

Martin

That's great news. Have a lot of fun.

Jim.

Thanks

New: Sunny weather

Better: Going to France on holiday tomorrow, biking around for a few days.

Worse: My dog is ill and I'm worried but wife will take good care of him. £88 to see vet today, more on Monday. Don't care about the money though, two saxes-worth will give him all the treatment he needs. Can always get another sax, can't get another dog like this one.

Martin

Hope your dog is ok and you have a good holiday

Will be back on the Sax this week, maybe even tomorrow if I get a chance

How'd it go? Hope you are feeling much better Smiffy :D

Martin - I know what you mean about your dog, I hope he's on the mend.

New: Wave 2 of company coming tonight - my scary father-in-law :confused:

Better: Wave 1 of company (the Chicago Dada Invasion) just left :mrcool

Worst: The hot water heater broke and instead of practicing my bari sax :sax:, I'm full of insulation and spider webs from crawling around in the basement - feeble attempt on my part to re-ignite the pilot light. Once I saw the sign about the propane causing an explosion, I decided to call in the pros and keep my eyebrows and hair ;}

Worst: The hot water heater broke and instead of practicing my bari sax :sax:, I'm full of insulation and spider webs from crawling around in the basement - feeble attempt on my part to re-ignite the pilot light. Once I saw the sign about the propane causing an explosion, I decided to call in the pros and keep my eyebrows and hair ;}

Couldn't you have waited for scary father-in-law and sent him down there?;}

Love your avatars Luluna - consistently high quality.

Anyway - new; haven't played the sax (not a good thing) in over 2 weeks due to being on holiday in Italy - better; I can look back on a great holiday in Italy - worst; see "new" above :mad:

How'd it go? Hope you are feeling much better Smiffy :D

Martin - I know what you mean about your dog, I hope he's on the mend.

New: Wave 2 of company coming tonight - my scary father-in-law :confused:

Better: Wave 1 of company (the Chicago Dada Invasion) just left :mrcool

Hey, Lulu, you're not scaring me! Our avatars clash! Time to bury the past, the Red man forgives, but does not forget:verysad

Another week.

New: I've been lending Bill at work a spare alto, and he's doing ok.

Better: He's bought himself a saxophone and is delighted with it. I'm giving him some lessons at lunchtime, which is fun.

Worse: The lessons prompted me to think that I'm not stretching myself.
I then set about working out a version of the 'Cagney & Lacey' theme.
All well and good, including the fact that I'm playing lots of it that is played by strings on the original.
So, on to the worst. Has anyone here worked out the intro? I can't seem to understand quite what is going on there. Plus it sounds very difficult after the first line.

Lori, wise decision. Eyebrows and hair always take precedence.
And I see from your new avatar that you believe in 'Canada' Bill Jones' maxim 'A Smith & Wesson beats four aces'.

Keep schmoozing the squirrels, I'm convinced they look forward to it.

New: got to sing in my band as well as play sax. ( not at same time though, working on that one )
Better: playing in the band lot easier now
Worse: just like Moz, my two little Shih Tzu puppies are ill. Aaaahh!!
we had their long coats cut as they were getting too hot and i think they have caught a cold. Off to the vet today:verysad