support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones My quick Andy Sheppard saxophone thoughts

daveysaxboy

Account Closed
Just been to listen to my idol and try out the Newcastle model Autograph series tenor.Bad turn out today.Not pushed enough in the press etc i think.The handfull there were in for a treat.No mic,just him blowing and as ever pure magical sound.1st off at the end he says right who wants to try it.I jumped in and said me but not 1st.DERRRRR.no 1 else offered so there pressure was on.Just me,them watching in total silence :))) well i messed about and rather tense as Andy is standing next to me.Went ok.Heres my quick thoughts on the model i blew.

Coming from my TJ RAW XS which i traded in a few weeks ago to get my last Borgani back the Sheppard sounded louder than the Raw which was also a monster.I'm using a Drake mp today so i have to remember that but the AS seemed more free blowing for sure.Andy mentioned the middle D thing and WOW on this horn it was pure thick pop out in ya face lush.Altissimo on my quick blow seemed great also.The ergos seemed more closer than the RAW also.Its sure a beast of a horn and has a lush fat sound if you play it that way.I agree with Andy in his thinking it feels alive in your hands.I think it vibrates more than the RAW.Is it on my quick mess about better than my 1st thoughts on my RAW,OH YESSSSS.It felt rather special which is the feeling i get on a Borgani.You know its a rare beast and i feel you can tell theres been more hand work and love out into it.I for 1 moaned about the price tag but after trying it i would snatch 1 if the cash flow was there for sure.Wish i had more than my 10 minutes on it.These are just my very quick 1st thoughts but i know straight off if i like a horn or mp and this felt very special and WOW LOUD which i love.

So? Are you going to or are you settled with the Borg Davey?

So? Are you going to or are you settled with the Borg Davey?

Love Borganis ,love Yamaha Z's ,love Keilwerths and the TJ Raw is great.The AS horn reminds me of my Borganis.You know there kind of 1 offs.If you ever get a try of a Borg you will be shocked how they vibrate in your hands.Lush is the sound.Hey a nice thing would be to own my borg and a Sheppard,now i am dreaming !!!!!!!!!!!!! or am i :))).

The truth is Rhys is probably a worse case than you because you trade one in for another and Rhys just adds another to the huge collection

When I attended the Liverpool Jazz festival last month they had a workshop on the sunday morning, Bobby Wellins was meant to attend on improviasation but sadly had to pull out, his replacement (sorry forgot his name) was a seasoned pro who had been given a AS to try out and give his opinions, he is a TJ endorser.
He sounded fabulous on the AS that was also without any mic set up, he went on to say he would buy one but hoped for a discount (i'm sure he will) I do remember the one he had, had not been named yet and was hoping it would be named 'Newcastle' as that is where he was from ? (you may know him Davey)
Anyhow he loved it and it sounded awesome :D

The truth is Rhys is probably a worse case than you because you trade one in for another and Rhys just adds another to the huge collection

Moi ?

I'm cured.

Rhys

PS I haven't been cured of lying though.

When I attended the Liverpool Jazz festival last month they had a workshop on the sunday morning, Bobby Wellins was meant to attend on improviasation but sadly had to pull out, his replacement (sorry forgot his name) was a seasoned pro who had been given a AS to try out and give his opinions, he is a TJ endorser.
He sounded fabulous on the AS that was also without any mic set up, he went on to say he would buy one but hoped for a discount (i'm sure he will) I do remember the one he had, had not been named yet and was hoping it would be named 'Newcastle' as that is where he was from ? (you may know him Davey)
Anyhow he loved it and it sounded awesome :D

I tested the Newcastle model the other day.I had a chance of putting a deposit on it last year before it was even made.I nearly bit at it.I also had the chance of the Clifton model which is number 1 plus another model,forgot which model.Each time the wife had the last word !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! After owning a great RAW XS then testing the AS all i can say is i liked the AS more.Not by a huge thing but it just seemed so alive in my hands.I will get 1 but not for a good while.Got hols to pay and i want my holiday !!!!!!!!!!

Well old thread as I own the Toon AS tenor now of course but just to say how much I like it and my thoughts after having used and gigged it abit the last few weeks. The 1st thing is I've had 100% positive feedback from everyone who has heard me on it so that's great news for me. My band members have all agreed it sounds fuller and they think the altissimo just jumps out and sings more. I also find this. As for ergonomics its the most slock and comfy tenor I've had and the extra large flat pearls are great on the finger tips and I mean there flat ! no concave what so ever. The neck has a higher angle going up over that feels very nice. As for sound I'm just so happy with it and I truly think its the best tenor out there for me. With only 100 ever made nigh on every tenor player in the world will never know what there like but I'm the lucky bugger who does.

Sounds like you may have found the cure for your gas at last or at least as far as tenors go, good luck and I hope you keep on loving it ......John

Sounds like you may have found the cure for your gas at last or at least as far as tenors go, good luck and I hope you keep on loving it ......John

Are Andy Sheppard and Trev James thinking of a soprano etc. range d'ya think?

Yes there is. Andy told me this when I tested my Newcastle tenor.he also said theres a mp on the way. It will be made through Bari USA. Based on his 10* link. I saw Andy in a recent picture using a solid silver Yanagisawa soprano so I mailed him.he said its nice but has flaws.will be nice to see what comes of it.

I hope they make that piece in a range of sizes, you`d need a gob like a beartrap for a 10* . 6 (in link-speak) would be fine . also if Bari are doing it, I hope it comes out better than their other metal pieces, the writeups alone put me off even trying them (thinking the WTII In particular)

EDIT- Solid silver soprano horn or mouthpiece Dave ? . I know they make a "solid silver" curved sop , I`d think it wouldn`t be that solid, silverwise as it`d be a nightmare to keep in one shape and the keywork would be bendier than usual

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope they make that piece in a range of sizes, you`d need a gob like a beartrap for a 10* . 6 (in link-speak) would be fine . also if Bari are doing it, I hope it comes out better than their other metal pieces, the writeups alone put me off even trying them (thinking the WTII In particular)

EDIT- Solid silver soprano horn or mouthpiece Dave ? . I know they make a "solid silver" curved sop , I`d think it wouldn`t be that solid, silverwise as it`d be a nightmare to keep in one shape and the keywork would be bendier than usual

Andy said his link was a bog standard vintage drain pipe, yea his words. Had nothing done to it just a suits him. He said he keeps buying links of ebay and having a go refacing them himself with not much luck. He went from a 4 to 4 1/2 reed to a 2 1/2 or 3 reed when going on the link. End of the day a good mp is 1 that suits you. For me my PPT's are the best I've had and you know I've had a lot. As for the soprano Yanagisawa do 2 straight solid silver body/neck sopranos,brass keys which have been out a good while.Tim Garland played 1 for a while.Sheppard has played a handmade Guardala Studio soprano mp for many years. Yani lacquer there solid silver I think.

Attachments

• as1.jpg
    as1.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 229
  • Andy_Sheppard_sax_.jpg
    Andy_Sheppard_sax_.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 249
Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom