support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Accessories My harness is hard to adjust

TonyP

Hi all,
I have recently bought the new Vandoren harness for my bari, and it is wonderful, if pricy (yes, lots of you commented on this in a previous thread, but it works for me). The only problem is that the hook won't go up and down easily when I try to adjust its length, so going from Bari to alto necessitates a mighty heave upwards holding the hook steady.
Can anyone advise on a lubricant to ease the mechanism? It consists of strings that wind too & fro as you adjust the hook up and down, and it should hold steady while you play, but not really be THAT hard to alter.
Any suggestions very much appreciated. (I shall try to get advice from Vandoren as well - it cost me enough, so it should work seamlessly!)
TonyP

I think it should slide easily with no load on it, but not at all once the load is on. I guess you're saying it won't move easily without a load.

Hi Tony. I'd be inclined to set up the harness for the baritone and set up a sling for the alto. That way you have no faffing around when you're busy. Some guys I know always use two slings, one for alto, and one for tenor. The air turns blue when they use the wrong hook. I hope you resolve your problem.

Jim.

I have one and I think it is made to slide more easily if you tip the V contraption to one side but be more "locked" when the V is in its normal orientation. At least that's how mine seems to work.
Hope that helps
Tony

the only thing that you should do is to use a lubricant to ease sliding if you do that you will go from difficult sliding to slipping which has to be the worst that can happen to you while using an harness or a strap.

It is like having energetic disk brakes on a new car, to cure what would naturally wear with use you put some oil on the disks.........yes the braking won’t be that energetic but you will be no longer able to stop the car.

Using two slings looks like a good idea but with a little use and wear everything should be going fine in just some time.

Last edited by a moderator:
the only thing that you should do is to use a lubricant to ease sliding if you do that you will go from difficult sliding to slipping which has to be the worst that can happen to you while using an harness or a strap.

I think you mean 'should not do'.

Hi, Thanks Tony for your comment - It works. You tip the Vee so that the long edge is horizontal, put a finger either side of the strings and pull - and it moves a lot more easily.

Glad it worked for you. I was struggling a while back and found out by accident! As you said in your first post, it's a great harness and really reduces the apparent weight of the sax.

Tony

Back
Top Bottom