support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Music theory help, please!

MandyH

Sax-Mad fiend!
Café Supporter
I'm trying to teach myself music theory!
I am working my way through the ABRSM "First steps in Music Theory", then the "my music theory" web-site, and then attempting some past papers.
So far this has served me well.

I have just come across this page relating to grade 4:
http://www.mymusictheory.com/grade4/lessons/5-intervals.html

If you scroll towards the bottom of the page, it discusses working out the interval from D to F double sharp.

Now I'm confused!

Everything I've learnt so far tells me that the interval from D to Fsharp is a major 3rd (Fsharp occurs in the scale of D major (two sharps), therefore it's a major 3rd)

Since in grade 4, 3rds can only be major or minor, this tells me that D to F double sharp should happen in this grade, yet that web-page says it is a major 3rd.

Have I missed something obvious? Am I being really stupid here - TBH I thought I had this sussed. Or is this page wrong?

Thanks

Beat me to it Kev! Yup, it starts on D#.
When I learnt this stuff my teacher said to work as though it was always in a major key. It simpler than worrying about whether it's major or minor. Just look at the key signature and any accidentals like the Fdouble sharp in this case.
The ABRSM Grade workbooks are very good to work through too.
YC

Thanks Kev.
I feel really stupid. But making such a blindingly obvious mistake now will probably make sure I don't make it in the exam.

I'm wondering if I was thrown by the double sharp - concentrating on it so much, I failed to read the key signature properly.
But hey hum!

Thanks Kev.
I feel really stupid. But making such a blindingly obvious mistake now will probably make sure I don't make it in the exam.

I'm wondering if I was thrown by the double sharp - concentrating on it so much, I failed to read the key signature properly.
But hey hum!

We all do it. Don't do yourself in over it.

Could well be the double sharp, combined with a complicated key sig - probably intentional on the writer's part, to make you aware of the pitfall. Doesn't help that there's a semitone between the E & F, which you'd also either over concentrate on or miss... :shocked::w00t::shocked:

So I'd say well done to whoever wrote it.:welldone