support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Mouthpieces Mpc/Reed combo for a Bari sax

MandyH

Sax-Mad fiend!
Café Supporter
I am thinking about varying the mpc/reed set up on my Bari sax.
I currently have a Selmer S80 D with a Rico Royal 2 1/2 reed.
My gut feeling is that the reed is too weak - I frequently squeak, and when I play sfz I shut the reed off against the mouthpiece completely and get nothing!
However, I cannot play a Rico Royal 3, it's just too hard for me. I can get about 80% of the notes out of it, but it seems a constant struggle. I have been trying to play the 3 for weeks.
I know little about reeds - I play Rico Royals 3 on all of my other saxes S A T and on my clarinet.

I also own a Meyer 7 mpc.

So, rather than try out a random selection of mpc/ reed combos, does anyone have any suggestions?
Maybe for a reed that will sit between the 2 1/2 and the 3 in strength?
Or for a reed to try on the Meyer 7?

This will be predominantly for playing classical music solo (for my diploma) or for playing in a Sax ensemble and in the Concert band.

The sax is a YBS 62, 18 months old and is going in for a service next week, just in case it is the sax and not me.

Hi Mandy,

I used to use an S80D on bari with Rico Royal reeds (2), but have recently switched to a PPT m/piece and Marca Jazz reeds (they're not only for jazz, and I use them on my other saxes!) when I got the YBS32. My tutor was very impressed with the sound at my lesson on Friday, and I'm hoping this will help cut through the swing band sound- only bari vs horns, bass, percussion etc. Will let you know!

There's a pretty big difference in tip openings between your two mouthpieces. The Selmer D is narrow for a bari, at 0.90 opening, whereas the Meyer is normal, maybe just on the narrow side of normal, for a bari at 0.105. I'd be inclined to slap a RR 2 1/2 on the Meyer and try playing that for a few days. Alternatively, my favourite reed on all my saxes is a Rico Jazz Select, try a 2 medium or 2 Hard on the Meyer. If you try one of these on the Selmer, go for a 3 soft to start with.

Thanks for advice.

I have never tried playing the Meyer - I acquired it quite a while ago, but it has simply been in the drawer for a long time.
I will give the suggestions a go when the Bari gets back from the service.

I'd have a go at the Meyer. It's not as dull as the S80.
I have (somewhere - I may have lent it to someone) an S80D too. I doubt I used anything softer than a 3 on it but it's a while since I played it. If I want to do anything vaguely classical on bari I use a Meyer 9M. Normally I'd stick an RJS 3M on that but if I absolutely needed to take any edge off that (not that there's much) I'd look to change that.

DeadAudiolink Removed

I have made a recording of the 2 mouthpieces and 3 reeds combinations.
In this piece, there are 4 sections using the following:
Meyer 7 with Rico Riyal 2 1/2
Selmer S80D with Rico Royal 3 strength reed
Selmer S80D with Legere 2 1/4 reed
Selmer S80D with Rico Royal 2 1/2 reed.

Although I can hear some differences, I would appreciate your opinions.
Thanks

The second one sounds to be getting there to my ear. From what I can hear through pooter speakers I'd be aiming to play a little higher on your embouchure with more air support. A set up with more back pressure requiring you to blow harder may help. It will probably feel a little tough till you get used to it and develop muscles but a harder reed may be the way to go. Try a vandoren blue on the selmer or a rico reserve. It's a nightmare searching for baritone reeds. £8 each is painful. Here's a couple of singles and a box.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B0039RRAWM/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vandoren-Ba...7&sr=8-2&keywords=vandoren+baritone+sax+reeds

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vandoren-Tr...7&sr=8-4&keywords=vandoren+baritone+sax+reeds

Support Cafesaxophone

Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Back
Top Bottom