support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Mouthpiece practise

SaxyMalcolm

hi fellow sax fiends

I have been doing a lot of practise on my mouthpiece lately after reading some of the great saxophone tutor Joe Allards teachings on the subject and the benefits mpc practise has on your sound/tone. I use a vandoren optimum ligature that has 3 removable plates that are supposed to change your sound/tonal qualities, but I never noticed much of a difference before especially on the tenor. But I was experimenting with the plates today when I was practising with the mpc and found that using the plate with the 4 little dimples on it made a significant difference in tone quality/resonance/ability to play a 12th on the mpc. It just shows you the difference a ligatures design can make.

Malcolm

Can you describe the exercises you practice on your mouthpiece? Curious to learn what you do - plus I'd love to get a few exercises down to put on my website and give you full credit if you like.

Can you describe the exercises you practice on your mouthpiece? Curious to learn what you do - plus I'd love to get a few exercises down to put on my website and give you full credit if you like.

A good place to start is by studying the Joe Allard technique to saxophone playing, there is an excellent website with a lot of his teachings The Joe Allard Project plus there is information on a lot of his former students websites ie: http://www.daveliebman.com/home.php plus this has good info Saxophone Frequently Asked Questions

Malcolm

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you describe the exercises you practice on your mouthpiece?

Best is to start by just playing scale exercises over a 10th. Play a major scale, then in 3rds, etc., and at different dynamic levels-- Like a miniature version of running through the Baermann method. Go on to playing any exercise, turnarounds, tunes. It really gets you in the habit of tuning your vocal cavity and your ears to what you're playing.

Best is to start by just playing scale exercises over a 10th. Play a major scale, then in 3rds, etc., and at different dynamic levels-- Like a miniature version of running through the Baermann method. Go on to playing any exercise, turnarounds, tunes. It really gets you in the habit of tuning your vocal cavity and your ears to what you're playing.

Wow, never thought to do that, very cool stuff. If you'd like me to mention you as a source on my article, please email me your name and a URL if you have a website. You can email me via http://www.bestsaxophonewebsiteever.com/contact.

Thanks!

Support Cafesaxophone

Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Back
Top Bottom