support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Mouthpiece practice

Mamos

Locality
Falmouth Cornwall
Been practising with just the mouthpiece and it makes a terrible noise but slowly I am being to hold a steady tone and I can produce about 5 note of a scale

Then I thought I would try the same thing with the mouthpiece attached to the neck.

Very easy to make a nice steady tone but impossible to alter that tone and play a scale

What's going on

mamos

Totally normal

Being able to pay a scale just by embouchure is the mouthpiece only exercise.

Don't ask me why. It's acoustic science.

Thanks Pete

I was surprised at how - I wouldn't say pleasant - un-offensive a sound I could produce with just the mouthpiece.

Whenever I had tried it in the past it was very shrill and unpleasant but given a little practice it is not too bad.

It's great.Now, I come in from work and while I watch the news I try to blow scales on the mouthpiece.

I am home alone while I do this I might add

One more question.

What is this doing that playing a complete saxophone isn't?

mamos

What is this doing that playing a complete saxophone isn't?

It's good ear training, but also it encourages you to work on a flexible embouchure.

I'm sure other folks will have some other ideas.

The big question: Do you believe it has improved your playing? And if so, what kind of investment in time have you given it.

Thanks.

The big question: Do you believe it has improved your playing? And if so, what kind of investment in time have you given it.

Thanks.

Such stuff may be hard to eveluate, if you are doing other prcatice as well.

But this is great for when you can't play a saxophone, e.g. in the car in traffic jams.

Thanks.

I have no idea but as Pete says sometimes you cant play the sax so it is something you can do to improve your embouchure.

I have only just started doing it so I will not have seen any improvement at all yet

I started after watching this video on youtube

The weird thing is the less you think about it the easier it becomes.

If I tried to play a specific tone I found it hard but could find that tone as part of a simple melody quite easily

mamos

I find that mouthpiece only practise improves my intonation and my ability to bend notes, as well as strengthening my embouchure.

I tried blowing just the mpc once, never again:w00t:
The cat couldn't get out the cat-flap quick enough, next doors dogs started howling, the missus shouted "what's that awful noise" from downstairs, and I nearly sh*t meself:shocked:

I tried blowing just the mpc once, never again:w00t:
The cat couldn't get out the cat-flap quick enough, next doors dogs started howling, the missus shouted "what's that awful noise" from downstairs, and I nearly sh*t meself:shocked:

:))):))):)))

You are right, it is best practised when on ones own

According to another post on the subject Mornington Lockett did it wearing ear plugs.

mamos