support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Mouthpieces Mouthpiece library??

andyp

Locality
Barry, S. Wales
Is there anywhere you can try different mouthpieces without feeling obliged to buy? It's ok to buy cheapish ones & discard them if unsatisfactory, but I'm not about to spend hundreds & do the same.
I have the same problem with saddles on my bike - trying to find the perfect one is a never-ending search.
Any solutions?

Andy

Im sure many shops are the same, but I have only experienced Dawkes at Maidenhead, where I visited last year and tried as many mouthpieces as I wanted to with no obligation to buy. I did however purchase a mouthpiece from them.

I tried a load of alto pieces at sax.co.uk once, really accommodating and with no pressure to buy.....but you will end up spending hundreds though, but it was worth it just to have a blast on a bass sax that they had in!

Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately I'm nowhere near those shops. As far as I know there's nothing in S. Wales area. The music shops in Cardiff just have a few basic mouthpieces.

Andy

I would recommend a shopping trip to London, if you are planning to buy something expensive.
Some online retailers accept returns, but you must have a general idea about what you are after.

Howarths of London will let you trial mouthpieces for the cost of the postage,you just give them a credit card No and they will send the pieces and you just pay for what you want or send them all back.

Brian

Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately I'm nowhere near those shops. As far as I know there's nothing in S. Wales area. The music shops in Cardiff just have a few basic mouthpieces.

Andy

A day trip to Packers in Taunton could be worthwhile. They have a lot of stock and are easily reached off the M5.

Rhys

PS Pete at Studio saxophones also great and very friendly.

Is there anywhere you can try different mouthpieces without feeling obliged to buy? It's ok to buy cheapish ones & discard them if unsatisfactory, but I'm not about to spend hundreds & do the same.
I have the same problem with saddles on my bike - trying to find the perfect one is a never-ending search.
Any solutions?

Andy

Hi Andy.
Ha! Ha! I know just what you are talking about with the saddle ...Me too !
As for your mouthpiece hunt, have a look at how far you are from Wessex Music (Dorset). They have a whole bunch of Aaron Drake M.P's. nice guys & nice shop.

What kind of Piece are you looking for ?

Maybe I'll try popping over into England some time!
ManEast, I've no idea what I'm after, just keen to try different mouthpieces. Have got a basic Yanagisawa which came with my tenor, & just bought a metalite which I didn't like at first, but after trying many reeds I've found a sound that I quite like.

Hey Andy ...

I have found the Yanagisawa mouthpieces to be very good ... :thumb:

Both Ebonite and Metal ...

Stick with them and give yourself some more time before discarding them from your favourites ...

You may need to try different reed strengths to get you mouthpiece set-up to work better for you ...

Cheers mate ...:cheers:

Back
Top Bottom