support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Mouthpieces Morgan Fry Jazz + mp

Morgan does ebonite too

Na Na Na your not starting me down that road like that it's something I'm trying to avoid this mpc trip and I'm very happy with the sound I'm getting from my Selmer S80 although I do feel that I'm probably at the stage now where I could appreciate the differences in mp's.......john

I was thinking the same thing. I'll admit that his asking price is a bit above my maximum ceiling for a mouthpiece. Call me cheap.

I am professionally cheap (£200 maximum investment on a mouthpiece). I tried one, once. It wasn't even my facing. Wonderful; I seriously risked to spend that money. And they are beautifully made.
I will not try one again for a long time.

I am professionally cheap (£200 maximum investment on a mouthpiece). I tried one, once. It wasn't even my facing. Wonderful; I seriously risked to spend that money. And they are beautifully made.
I will not try one again for a long time.

We must have the same accountant because £200 is now my max amount i will spend on a mpc,in fact one of my main alto pieces cost me about £20 on Ebay about 8 years ago a Runyon Quantum Delrin,i have tried some of Morgan's alto pieces,very nice players but i couldn't get the financial director to let me part with some cash,next time i am in London i will give her £10 and leave her in Selfidges.

next time i am in London i will give her £10 and leave her in Selfidges.

You know how to treat a lady!

About my price limits, I am currently in the position to decide if some money spent on a saxophone is an investment or not.
If I had better paid gigs, Mr. Fry would be an option.

Are you saying that £10 is too much because i could give her £5 and that gives me more to spend in Howarths and/or sax.co.uk>:)

Sometimes I realize that i currently live in a hopeless country...

You need two credit cards. Secretly demagnetize one. When you are sure it does not work, you give it to Mrs Wife, with the pin number, saying loud "Treat yourself! I will meet you at the top floor café at 5pm!"
She will kiss you passionately.
Now you can switch off your mobile phone an go shopping to the aforementioned shops (both at walking distance) with the credit card that works.
At 5 pm bring a red rose and be ready to say "Impossible! I used that card this morning to buy the travelcards!"

Better paid gigs,are there any about?

I am not sure, but many colleagues always complain for the night's pay, boasting that the previous night they got ten times as much, playing beautiful creative music in a nice and welcoming venue.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sometimes I realize that i currently live in a hopeless country...

You need two credit cards. Secretly demagnetize one. When you are sure it does not work, you give it to Mrs Wife, with the pin number, saying loud "Treat yourself! I will meet you at the top floor café at 5pm!"
She will kiss you passionately.
Now you can switch off your mobile phone an go shopping to the aforementioned shops (both at walking distance) with the credit card that works.
At 5 pm bring a red rose and the ready to say "Impossible! I used that card this morning to buy the travelcards!"

You have it all worked out,don't think my wife will fall for this ploy.

Noticed Morgan is doing a metal alto,interesting.

Noticed Morgan is doing a metal alto,interesting.
He is doing worse than that: have you seen the new pages about custom mouthpieces? You can have a metal version of virtually everything! And considering the metal PPT, he is also good at it.

Na Na Na your not starting me down that road like that it's something I'm trying to avoid this mpc trip and I'm very happy with the sound I'm getting from my Selmer S80 although I do feel that I'm probably at the stage now where I could appreciate the differences in mp's.......john

I never realized Manchester and Leeds are lo close to each other.

Last week Morgan sent me two of his metal tenor pieces to choose the one I prefer. They are the Jazz+ in an 8 tip opening and Studio in an 8* tip.

They look pretty similar on the outside and are both beautifully finished in Rhodium plate. As I would expect, the facings are both great so they play easily and I am really enjoying them with Rigotti Gold reeds.

The Jazz+ does exactly what it is supposed to do: it has a big, rich sound like Morgan Fry's Rhodium metal piece, but with a bit more edge to help it project and cut through. Definite family resemblance to the Rhodium metal in terms of sound, but better for competing with guitars, keyboards and drums. Tuning is really good.

The Studio looks to have a baffle that is slightly higher but shorter and then the chamber has scooped out sides. But interestingly, my ligature seems a little looser than on the Jazz+. Here is what Morgan says about the design in an email to me.

"They're different. The chamber width is the same, but the big difference is that on the Studio the table angle is shallower. Also the baffle is higher and shorter and the slope of the floor is shallower w/r/t the table. The table angle is why it's a bit narrower than the Jazz+. The different angles is why it plays so much brighter than it looks, and can still be really edgy but maintain an acoustic soundness that you don't normally get in really edgy pieces."

The Studio in an 8* blows even more easily than the Jazz+ in an 8 or the Rhodium in a 7. The sound is not extreme, like a Dukoff D, a Larsen 0 or a Lawton BB and seems to me to have a better balance than the Guardala-style mouthpieces I have played. The sound has some warmth but a bit more edge, maybe tending towards the 'brittle'. Tuning is still good, but it has to sit further out on the cork.

I need to blow them both a bit more, and try some different reeds. At the moment I am intending to keep the Jazz+ and return the Studio.

Rhys

PS I just remembered that the side rails on both are superbly even, but those on the Studio seem slightly narrower.

Anyone blew the new model by Morgan Fry called the Jazz +.Says it has more power for louder settings and stuff like funk etc.I had the normal large chamber Fry piece and it sounded great but it lacked power.This 1 sounds rather tempting.
uh oh, i think you gotta stick with your current set up, best tone i heard you have also you will never maintain a consistent sound if you keep changing pieces.

GREEDY Davey! haha

Morgan really knows how to make a nice mouthpiece. I was listening to some clips i made while trying mouthpieces a while back and the Fry Slant really stood out as having a great sound. Now why didn't I buy it?

uh oh, i think you gotta stick with your current set up, best tone i heard you have also you will never maintain a consistent sound if you keep changing pieces.

GREEDY Davey! haha

That's a older post I posted.I'm cured now...I am on my mission and going to stick to it.Failed many many times but I feel good about being a good boy now.To the future I say.A new man I am.

I listened to a bit of the Wade's ECM challenge by you. I am suspecting you should set for a "sharper" position of the mouthpiece. Try it for a while and see if you can control the high notes.

But I might well be wrong.

That's a older post I posted.I'm cured now...I am on my mission and going to stick to it.Failed many many times but I feel good about being a good boy now.To the future I say.A new man I am.
REALLY glad after all these years and changes of set up and saxes that you seen sense young man, i think all the changes you made has been 1 big excuse now knucke down and enjoy cos this IS the best set up i heard you play...

i think i have my own sound and i like it a lot and that is very much to do with blowing on my custom Lawton (inside cut like MB1) for over 20 years, this helped me develop my sound and the fact i moved to Guardala recently was that i felt i wanted a little more projection, and my playing is moving through a transition in style and technique (doing some serious shed work) but the tone is basically the same, tho a bit brighter top end, had i chopped and changed then it would of been less stable :)

long story cut short, no more GAS ;-)

Back
Top Bottom