support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

MB2, Francois Louis ligature demo 2- 'opening up' the sax

thesaxman71

Account Closed
Here is my 2nd demo of the Guardala Brecker model 2 mouthpiece with Francois Louis ligature, rico jazz select 2M reeds on my trusty old YTS-62
In this demo i open up the saxophone emphasising the projection and i get with this set up..
p.s.
I couldn't help myself but i had to throw in a few Brecker licks on this set up, ;-)

any feedback, is welcome,
many thanks.
Ian

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=qvYPkD_Xf8w

Last edited by a moderator:
Seriously thinking about getting one of these for my Sakshama Guardala, at present I use a Lawton ligature but today have been experimenting with a vintage link ligature, well I can tell you the link lig (not to be confused with the modern link lig's, cuz their crap!) makes one hell of a difference, completely transformed the whole instrument, only fault is it tends to twist about when you put on/take off the piece....so am thinking if that does that what would the Francois Louis be like? Tell me Saxman does the Louis lig move/twist when you take it off?

Seriously thinking about getting one of these for my Sakshama Guardala, at present I use a Lawton ligature but today have been experimenting with a vintage link ligature, well I can tell you the link lig (not to be confused with the modern link lig's, cuz their crap!) makes one hell of a difference, completely transformed the whole instrument, only fault is it tends to twist about when you put on/take off the piece....so am thinking if that does that what would the Francois Louis be like? Tell me Saxman does the Louis lig move/twist when you take it off?

hello Fraser,
The Francois Louis ultimate ligature is great, no slipping and a more open sound, as demonstrated in my clip, you can hear how open it is. I really rate this ligature highly, and i tried many others (inc the 1 you use now) til i found this, i say go for it, fits great, opens sound much more than the link ligature you are using.I got mine from Berlin, i was playing there, from a tech shop there called 'Duchstein', look it up, they were really good with me, 1 thing to do if you do get the ligature is to get them to put in a larger adjustment washer where you tighten up the screw, it might be an extra euro or something but worth it, it is an extra MM or 2 thicker and helps to stop it slipping, a fantastic ligature, and funky looking too..hope that helps!

oh and my name is Ian :)

Thanks for that Ian, you've just convinced me I need one, haha! BTW my friend Drew Stansall uses one on his Lawton, says it makes it considerably brighter..

Thanks for that Ian, you've just convinced me I need one, haha! BTW my friend Drew Stansall uses one on his Lawton, says it makes it considerably brighter..

trust me you DO need one,haha, it really is a great ligature, but you MUST get the slightly bigger adjustment screw thingy, makes a huge difference...
sounds daft but did you watch my demo's i posted and were you able to compare the set up i use as oppose to what you use yourself, and what is the difference to you? the clips are also meant as informational for anyone who is thinking to get a MB2 set up.

Yeah, watched it, looks like you have the same issue as me with altisimo sometimes breaking down into the fundamentals, or is this an issue with this particular mouthpiece I wonder? anyway looks like Thoman is offering the best deal on this lig.

Yeah, watched it, looks like you have the same issue as me with altisimo sometimes breaking down into the fundamentals, or is this an issue with this particular mouthpiece I wonder? anyway looks like Thoman is offering the best deal on this lig.

when i made the clip earlier today i simply just ran out of breath up in the altissimo, human error not mouthpiece error, cos usually it flows great. maybe i will post another with just altissimo :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got the FL lig with the extra washer here.Use it on my Guardala King mp.Have used it on a SR Tech Pro mp,PPT metal,all my Sakshamas and other Guardals and a few more.Had a few a few years back for alto,soprano also.They really open things up for sure and they never slip.I love Winslows or Saxaxx ligs but they slip all the time.Agree with saxman there great and abit costly but worth it and they do look cool.I had a silver plated FL for alto and it looked sweet.

Here is my 2nd demo of the Guardala Brecker model 2 mouthpiece with Francois Louis ligature, rico jazz select 2M reeds on my trusty old YTS-62
In this demo i open up the saxophone emphasising the projection and i get with this set up..
p.s.
I couldn't help myself but i had to throw in a few Brecker licks on this set up, ;-)

any feedback, is welcome,
many thanks.
Ian

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=qvYPkD_Xf8w

Big rich tones,very nice indeed.The MBII's blow huge.I may end up getting another off Sakshama.His MB 1 is killing also.

You save a little but remember theres £10.00 shipping to add on.Still though you do save on 95% of things.I use them alot.

forgot to say earlier, look up Duchstein in Berlin, i paid around 50 to 60 euro's i also know a good tech in Poland who may be able to ship you 1 also

Big rich tones,very nice indeed.The MBII's blow huge.I may end up getting another off Sakshama.His MB 1 is killing also.

just to note:
the sakshama MB2 is a .110 opening, my MB2 is .118 opening, which i had measured (and i watched it being measured, literally), next to a hand made original MB2 which was also .118 so if you do get a sakshama you gotta get it opened to .118 to make it more like original hand made plan and free blowing like the original.

just to note:
the sakshama MB2 is a .110 opening, my MB2 is .118 opening, which i had measured (and i watched it being measured, literally), next to a hand made original MB2 which was also .118 so if you do get a sakshama you gotta get it opened to .118 to make it more like original hand made plan and free blowing like the original.

I've had Sakshama make me 5 tenor mps all at a 118 tip.He's made me a MBI ,MBII,STUDIO And King Guardalas and also a Florida Link copy.Between 116/118 is my size on all tenor pieces.He also made me a great Studio DG alto mp.Nick on here bought that.The thing i love about Sakshama is he will listen to your needs/wants and makes them like you said.His finish work is amazing.I've owned a big bunch of laser trimmed and original DG's and i still think Sakshamas play with more body for me.The best original DG i had was my MBII i got Dave Guardala to make me years gone by.It took about 4 months of waiting but when it landed it was nice.I always go back to Guardalas for loud gigging.Theres nothing can touch them for this kind of work.For my day to day stuff now though and jazzy stuff i'm soooo happy with my new Drake NY Jazz piece.Lastnight i done a fusion funk rehearsal and it was great.Drake is making some fine pieces.

Back
Top Bottom