All profit supporting   special needs music

Major Blues Scale & Minor Blues Scale ?

Nick Wyver

Nick Wyver

noisy
Café Supporter
Locality
Minster On Sea
Is there anything wrong in using your ears when deciding what to play? Your decisions may not be the same as Rollins/Gordon/Curtis/Parker etc. but they are your decisions that (presumably) please your ears, so stick to them and be happy with them.

Colin the Bear

Colin the Bear

Locality
Burnley bb9 9dn
Yes , but , sometimes, when I'm playing, I get fed up listening to me. So any other ideas are welcome.

BigMartin

BigMartin

Locality
Manchester, UK
If I understand correctly, the problem with thinking about the 7th mode of Ab melodic minor is that it doesn't tell you what the functions of those notes are over G7. It tells you how to run up and down the scale, but that may not be the best way to use that sound.

Nick Wyver

Nick Wyver

noisy
Café Supporter
Locality
Minster On Sea
If I understand correctly, the problem with thinking about the 7th mode of Ab melodic minor is that it doesn't tell you what the functions of those notes are over G7.
I suppose there probably are people who think of such things as "the 7th mode of Ab melodic minor" when playing blues...

Colin the Bear

Colin the Bear

Locality
Burnley bb9 9dn
Not me. I'm thinking....woke up this morning feeling for my shoes, can't find the left one Man I got the blues......Oh! stormy monday, she left me down by the train track hear that whistle blow man I feel so low ohhhhhhh! Unless it's a quick one then it's shooo shooo she booogie diddle do bop wop.

jbtsax

jbtsax

Café Supporter
Locality
Beautiful Springville, Utah USA
If I understand correctly, the problem with thinking about the 7th mode of Ab melodic minor is that it doesn't tell you what the functions of those notes are over G7. It tells you how to run up and down the scale, but that may not be the best way to use that sound.
I think of it this way. We practice scales till they are memorized, and then we keep repeating them until they are "under our fingers" which means we can play them up and down without thinking. The other thing that happens is that we get the sound of that scale in our head. All of those notes under our fingers and sounds in our head can be drawn upon when we improvise.

It is not complicated. All of the "altered" notes of the altered scale (super locrian) b9, #9, b5, #5, b7 have the same function. That is to add color and tension over the V7 that is then released when the chord resolves to the tonic. For me practicing the Ab major scale, then the Ab major scale with a lowered 3rd, then running that same scale from ti to ti instead of do to do is simply a shortcut to quickly get that note pattern under my fingers and the sound of that scale inside my head.

Edit: My post about how I think about the "altered scale" is not meant to suggest that I would use that sound in a traditional blues which is related to the topic of this thread. Depending upon the melody and tempo the notes of the "altered scale" may work in a jazz blues setting over the V7.

Last edited:
Targa

Targa

Among the pigeons
Locality
KIC 8462852
The blues is about feeling not thinking.
The music shouldn't be constructed in your brain it should be flowing from your soul.

Colin the Bear

Colin the Bear

Locality
Burnley bb9 9dn
There's a lot of practice and study goes into making it sound like you just made it up.

Then there's all the mystique and myth when you talk about it. You have to be very wise to sound that naive.

Veggie Dave

Veggie Dave

Sax Worker
Locality
Citizen of Nowhere
There's a lot of practice

Indeed.

and study goes into making it sound like you just made it up.

Not really. The best blues guitar players I've known haven't been technically very knowledgeable at all. They play with their ears, rather than play by ear as they did know your basic theory even if they couldn't read it or know what any of the modes were called.

As with everything else, there are no rules; you don't need any major theoretical knowledge to play the blues. If it sounds right then it is right. There's no reason not to thoroughly explore theory, either. Whatever you want to do and however far you want to take it is up the player.

Colin the Bear

Colin the Bear

Locality
Burnley bb9 9dn
Yes. There are lots of ways to study. Some are born with good ears. The rest of us find a little theory helps to speed up the learning process. All good players have studied and practiced. You can study by just listening.

Colin the Bear

Colin the Bear

Locality
Burnley bb9 9dn
It's a bit technical. :p

Stick a different accent on him and it's Country:cool:

jbtsax

jbtsax

Café Supporter
Locality
Beautiful Springville, Utah USA
Rather than learn lots of scales/modes and get all :confused::confused::confused::confused: Watch the video and
Listen to what he says about using minor pentatonic scales over V7 chords etc. :)

View: https://youtu.be/M7uX6FNMn7c

It took several viewings for all that to sink in, but that is really neat! I especially like how the minor pentatonics just go up by half steps going through the IIm7 V7 I maj7 VI7.

Jazzaferri

Jazzaferri

Locality
Victoria BC Canada
very high level noodling that.....

Chris

Chris

Well Known
Café Supporter
Locality
Manchester,England
@kevgermany and @jbtsax I like it because it seems like an interesting/easier way of using scales we should already know rather than learning new scales. :)

Chris..