support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones Magnum neck

sorrel

Hello there,,

I have a P mauriat Magnum neck that I play with a P mauriat PMXT 66R and a Theo wanne metal kali.,When I use the original neck that came with the Pmxt the horn sounds great and plays beautifully,when I use the Magnum neck I find it very hard to subtone the A note and sometimes even G,other times I even find it hard to just play midle A softly.,I can play loudly no problem,it´s just when i try to play soft notes and tunes when i have this problem time and time again,I feel the magnum is great neck if it wasn´t for this..The sax uk guys sold this neck to me and it was meant to fit this particular Pmauriat model,it´s not a snug fit at all.

I would kindly appreciate any help if any of you have had the same problem,there isn´t any obvious problem with the neck I can be aware of,It maybe be my embrouchure but it shoulnd´t be that hard I believe.
Many thanks

Hi sorrel i have sold many Magnum crooks in fact Mornington Lockett had his Magnum from me......firstly the tenon should fit snugly secondly it may be that your octave lever on your sax may be slightly opening the crook octave.A quick test is in the assembled position you should be able to pass a rizla between the octave lever and the crook octave where they meet without there being any drag on the rizla (excuse the pun)
Put your original crook on and compare the set up...good news if it is this it easily fixed.
I hope my explanation makes sense.

Hello there,,

The sax uk guys sold this neck to me and it was meant to fit this particular Pmauriat model,it´s not a snug fit at all.

Get a technician to fine tune the fit- chances are it should solve all the problems.....

magnum

Many thanks for the replies,it seems we are going to solve the problem,it seems there was a leak in the cork of the neck together with the fact that the tenon needs expanding a bit perhaps,yesterday after trying many things we noticed these issues,it was mainly our fault in not noticing it was mainly the neck cork.

I asked about all this basically because the Magnum is a great neck for this tenor and was a bit frustrated it wasn´t working as well as i would have desired..Im also happy it wasn´t my embrochure:)

Thank you.