support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Lessons in Chicago Blues

Mack

I don't know how many of you have come across Derrick Big Walker - I stumbled across him on Youtube. Not only does he have a beautiful subtone filled sound, and plays fluid blues (sounds good to me anyway), but he also does good beginners lessons in blues. Great character. I think there at least an hours worth of lessons on Youtube.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great guy. I took some lessons from him for some years ago. And I've also arranged a BluesSax workshop with Big Walker as leader. Good player and he makes everyone to feel good. Bobby Forte was Big Walker's teacher back in 70's when he lived in San Francisco

Thanks for posting the video. I watched it and picked up some good tips. I'm interested in playing this kind of music, especially at blues jams. I've bookmarked it. I went to his web site but it was painfully slow.

I would recommend to listen to some players that are into the "Chicago BluesSax Style". IMO this style have less in common with jazz! And the Chicago Blues Sax Style is also much about the electric guitar and sax.

J.T. Brown (Elmore James ....), A.C Reed (Earl Hooker ...... Rolling Stones), Eddie Shaw (Muddy Waters, Howlin Wolf ....).

Another saxplayer that is important to the Chicago Blues and Chicago sound is Gene Barge (Little Milton, Koko Tayor, ..... Rolling Stones) and also Harold Ashby (went on to be soloist with Duke Ellington) did lots of classic Chicago Blues from Otis Rush to Willie Dixon/Memphis Slim. Abb Locke on Koko Taylor's "I Got What It takes" and "Earthshaker" (Alligator Records) is also a great sample of Chicago Blues Sax. There are other good saxplayers pre Muddy Waters and Howlin Wolf era.

The Chicago Blues Sax is often about a single sax in a band.