support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Beginner Yamaha Music School vs Private Lessons

Andrej

Hi,

I am a beginner at sax, playing alto. I am a 25 year old adult. At first, I had a big passion for saxophone, and I started to read books and watch video lectures on my own to learn to get a sound on my sax. I did learn basic things for few weeks, and understood a lot of theory on playing saxophone. I have a strong music background in playing piano for 6 year music school back in my teenage years. I signed for a Yamaha Music School Junior Saxophone course (they have only this junior program). It is individual lessons for duration of 30 minutes once a week. I am attending this lessons for something more than a month.

The teacher is older guy and probably experienced. But I kind of start to question whether switching to a private classes can be a better option for better progress.

The thing is that for the first few lessons, I just sit down and play tunes that he puts in front of me. However, I don't get any feedback or comments. Just hear a short "good" or "softer" once in a while and that's it, no explanation or comment on how to improve or what to focus on. My question is "Am I that good by myself since he doesn't correct me at all?" or he just doesn't care as long as a sound goes on for a beginner its good. I can't complain about the materials that I am getting, since he gives me tons of things to play. The class is meant for Pop or Rock, and since I like more Jazz, he gave me some basic Jazz exercise as well. I do practice every day and try to organize my practice as good as I can. But, I feel like I except the materials that I am getting, so far I heard no advice or comment whatsoever. I am using things I previously learned by myself or things that I learn on youtube videos.

Another thing is that out of that short 30 mins, in 2 out of my 5 lessons I got only 15 with him since he goes to copy materials and prepare stuff for me. I guess he does this at that moment, because he has classes all day, students just go in one after the other...

So I am asking some of you that are more experienced and that maybe can give me an opinion on this situation.

For example, I found a private teacher for similar amount to have 45-60 min lessons. I am not sure how good he is, he is quite young and very good performer. He is an endorsed Yamaha Artist, so I guess he should be good at it, think gonna have a trial lessons to see the difference.

Let me know what you think about it. Should I maybe stick to the Yamaha, cause I am maybe overreacting fast and maybe their program is quite good to get to some decent level? Or maybe it's gonna be much better to switch to this private lessons.

Of course no one can tell for sure, maybe both are not bad... But just an opinion or advice out of your experience will be very helpful.

Thanks

Have you asked your current teacher how you are doing? Besides the tunes he gives you to work on ask him to teach you something specific and see what reaction you get.

That said a trial with someone else won't go amiss.

Go with your gut instinct

Jx

However, I don't get any feedback or comments.

Just hear a short "good" or "softer" once in a while and that's it, no explanation or comment on how to improve or what to focus on.

My question is "Am I that good by myself since he doesn't correct me at all?" or he just doesn't care as long as a sound goes on for a beginner its good.

But, I feel like I except the materials that I am getting, so far I heard no advice or comment whatsoever.

I am using things I previously learned by myself or things that I learn on youtube videos.

Another thing is that out of that short 30 mins, in 2 out of my 5 lessons I got only 15 with him since he goes to copy materials and prepare stuff for me.

So I am asking some of you that are more experienced and that maybe can give me an opinion on this situation.

Jeanettes post is good.

based on your comments above, I think there is a very strong case for looking elsewhere. why not try the other teacher

One comment of yours stood out, in particular.

"Another thing is that out of that short 30 mins, in 2 out of my 5 lessons I got only 15 with him since he goes to copy materials and prepare stuff for me."

I hate seeing that. It is a terrible attitude to teaching and shows a lack of respect. But sadly, not uncommon. DONT STAND FOR IT.
If he cant be organised enough to make sure you get your full time, DUMP HIM !!

In general, the teacher is probably the most expensive part of learning to play. Certainly I've paid my teacher a lot more than everything else combined...and he is absolutely worth it.

If you can't say the same, find another teacher.

It can take a few lessons for the teacher and student to get accustomed to each other, but after that you should feel that you are getting a lot out of your lessons.

You could try the other teacher to see if they are more inspiring.

Feedback is essential so that you can gauge whether or not your practise and efforts are getting you anywhere - there's no point practising bad technique or bad tone because it becomes a habit that will be hard to break. I'd suggest you take on board the comments made above and certainly ask your tutor some specific questions such as "how do you think I sound" and "what can I improve", if you don't get answers you are satisfied with then move on to someone that will and can relate to you.

My concern is the bit about losing time in the lessons. Also, there seems to be a shortage of tuition, but it's difficult to tell without being there...

I've been OK with sax and cello teachers, but I have really struggled to find a bass guitar teacher who actually teaches and I think you may have a similar issue here.

It's worth trying the other teacher for comparison and then making a decision. I know that music teaching in France is very different to the UK, so hard to judge.

Last edited:
It sounds to me like you're getting no teaching at all. Just supplying material to play through is simply not good enough, in my opinion. You could get the same from a method book and save the time and expense of going to the lessons. Maybe the school doesn't even have a saxophonist on the staff, which is why there's only a juinior course. I would recommend finding a private teacher for whom saxophone is their main instrument. In the early stages it's important to get the mechanics of sound production on the right track.

And, yes, spending half the lesson copying materials is disgraceful (And possibly illegal, depending on what those materials are. Most teachers will expect you to buy your own music, or in some cases lend you stuff when they know you can be trusted to bring it back).

Sorry to be so negative about your current situation but the picture you paint does not look good to me.

Last edited:
:( Sounds to me that your teacher fails to communicate with you effectively, both to give you input, by way of proper and considered instruction and on your output regarding your skills, abilities and progress [No Feedback].

:mad: Your tutor also seems to be providing you with lessons [if you can call it that] off the cuff with little or No Preparation.

:old: I would certainly look elsewhere ...

:sax: Sorry to be so blunt and negative but if you seriously want to progress, then I truly believe that your current teacher is not the best person to help you achieve your goals ...

Last edited:
Thanks a lot to everybody!!! You are so right, my current teacher is not worth a single cent... I just had a very expensive copy guy to give me what to play... I tried to talk to him and ask for feedback, he was just no time no time, see you next time. My reed was half destroyed, and when I ask him if I should change, he didn't care at all, just say, good good, no need... hahaha... The trial lesson with the other guy was much better, he really explained a lot of things I should consider and he understood what I want to accomplish... So I guess I am switching there. Thank a lot to everybody again. I was kind of telling myself, it's Yamaha, it's gonna get better... but yeah, it isn't. Cheers

The money you spent on the dud teacher will prove really well spent next time you start to doubt yourself.
You'll know that your instincts and gut feeling are good, and being able to trust yourself is a precious gift - congratulations!