support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Left pinky keys modification?

Bobby G

Locality
Wonderful Welwyn Garden City, Herts
I have an old Dolnet alto, and the left hand pinky keys work differently to a modern horn (I believe the term is "non-articulated"). Is it possible to get this modified so it works in a similar way to my Yamaha? I have 'semi-modified' it with a cable tie around the shaft of one of the keys but I would quite like a proper job doing as it's a nice sounding horn.

It is possible to do this by silver soldering (brazing) an extension that goes under the G# key from the low B and C# touchpieces. A skilled tech should be able to do this quite easily. You need to realize that once this is done the regulation at the "junction" of F#, G#, and Bis becomes much more critical.

+1 on JBTsax's remarks

There may be scope to make a non permanent mod, by adding linkage material - tech cork for example- in between the G# Key and the low B and C# keys.

Dolnets (Dolly's as they are affectionately known by some) are real nice horns and are becoming more popular.

You're right griff. I haven't played it in a while, but it is a nice horn. If I was a bit nearer to you (are you still in Exmouth? I was down there a couple of weeks ago on a flying visit) I'd let you have a look at it. how much d'you think I should be paying for this mod if I get it done?

Not only is a Dolly nice-sounding, I think they look pretty good too!

You're right griff. I haven't played it in a while, but it is a nice horn. If I was a bit nearer to you (are you still in Exmouth? I was down there a couple of weeks ago on a flying visit) I'd let you have a look at it. how much d'you think I should be paying for this mod if I get it done?

Not only is a Dolly nice-sounding, I think they look pretty good too!

The price you should be paying depends on what work is involved and what materials are needed.

If you go down the Soldering the "tabs" on the back of the G# spatula - these need to be fabricated and silver soldered this will damage any lacquer or plating on that key.

You could possibly drill and tap a couple of holes to hold the tab in situ - this method is used on saxes like the Beaugnier made Noblet and other makes that have the adjustable Articulated mechanism where you can effectively either have it or not.

Without looking at the keys its difficult to give an estimate, but whichever way you chose to go, if I was doing the work it would be by the hour and my rate is £27 ph so if it takes 2 hours it'd cost you £54.

If you could post some pictures of the left hand pinky mech preferably from the side or behind it may help in giving you better advice.

Good luck.

Thanks Griff, I will see if I can put some pictures up (scratches non-techy head...)

Oops. I wrote that early in the morning before I had my coffee. It should have said "goes from the G# key to under the B and C#". Griff got it right. :p

Dolnets (Dolly's as they are affectionately known by some) are real nice horns and are becoming more popular.

The great Don Byas' use of a Dolnet should be all that is needed to convince one to give them a try!

I gave mine a try with the new Pillinger mpc and was not very impressed, I think it needs, erm,something else.;} Sounded ok but not great, but played well.