support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones Learning the sax/ Buying first sax

learnerlou94

I should probably start by saying hello, so hi :p

I have came to the decision to start learning the saxophone after 10 years of playing the trumpet. I have came to the decision that it should be a tenor sax, partly due to my height of 6ft4. I am struggling to find many in my area, due to my budget of £300 (Being a student and being a total beginner). I know this leaves me only with the cheap Chinese horns or pre owned learner or possibly a vintage horn(Probably showing signs of damage). So I am looking for some advise on what I should do, bear in mind that I really can't spend over £300 in case I do not enjoy it that much. :confused:

Thanks,
Louis

Hi

Lots to choose from. Bauhaus-Walstein, Trevor James, J Packer, you shouldn't have any trouble finding a used one in your price range. I tried a Thomann about a year ago, that was pretty good as well.

Don't forget to budget for a mouthpiece as well. The ones that come with the saxes are generally rubbish. Something like Yamaha, Rico Royal Graftonite, Runyon 22 should be good.

Plan on getting a technician to check it over as well. Small faults can make an otherwise good instrument really difficult to play.

I should probably start by saying hello, so hi :p

I have came to the decision to start learning the saxophone after 10 years of playing the trumpet. I have came to the decision that it should be a tenor sax, partly due to my height of 6ft4.

Don't let your height be the determining factor. I'm taller than that and I've just bought a sopranino. Don't care if I do look silly playing it. Which sax do you most like the sound of?

Depending if you are anywhere near Stafford in the UK, a forum member is selling quite a decent tenor for £300. (Bauhaus Walstein)

Have you thought about renting a sax - usually comes with the option of buying later? You get to check out if you enjoy it and you would get a horn in good playing order.

Pete

I'd get in touch with the poster selling the BW and arrange to have it sent down by courier. Shouldn't cost more than £15 or so.
It'll be a better deal than anything you can buy new at that price - and if you decide the sax isn't for you, it'll fetch pretty much what you paid for it when you sell it.

Regards,

I've decided to wait a little while as my friend has kindly said that I could borrow his old selmer for a while so I can decide whether I actually want to learn it or not, but thanks for the advise anyway

Louis

Support Cafesaxophone

Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Back
Top Bottom