support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Mouthpieces Landreth Zephyr tenor mouthpiece

ngtamphuong

Hi everyone,

Have you heard of or played on a Landreth mouthpiece? I found this one on eBay, saying it’s inspired of Otto Link Double Ring. The cost was not much so I decided to give it a try. The tip opening is 6 (0.09), made of stainless steel (!).

The Landreth mouthpiece arrived today, packed in a beautiful wooden box. I was so excited to try it but immediately my excitement faded away. The tip of the mouthpiece is quite narrow which makes the reed overhanging. I found out that this mouthpiece was refaced before. It’s actually 7 or 7*, not 6. That explains why the tip is very thin, the tip rail is quite thick and doesn’t match the reed perfectly (it passes the pop test though).

This mouthpiece works well with medium soft reeds like Rico, Rico Royal, Rigotti Gold and Marca American Vintage 2 ½ or Lavoz MS. Going up ½ of the reed’s strength makes it sound quite stuffy.

The sound is quite bright, not as the mouthpieces with higher baffle, but definitely not dark. The low notes are huge, but the altissimo notes are significantly harder to achieve. I think it’s because I’m more used to high baffle pieces and it will take time to get familiar with a Link like piece (again, I used to have a modern STM NY).

I see (and I can feel by touching it) that it has some rollover baffle at the tip, about 4mm. May this attribute to the bright sound? I don’t know much about Links so I’d love to hear from you guys.

With a Legere Signature it has some serious edge and projection! :sax:

Back
Top Bottom