All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

M/Pieces - Ligs Tenor Mouthpiece Advice Please

Jobylou

Hi
I am now the very proud owner of a Yamaha 62, bought second hand last week from Saxophone Heaven and I love it! :)
I am currently playing a Selmer Soloist C** mouthpiece with Rico Royal 3 reeds, ideally I would prefer to play Javas or Rico Jazz Selects after using up the reeds I have.
Anyway to cut a long story short while I was at SH I tried a few Alto mouthpieces and settled on a Meyer 7M, don't know why I didn't try some Tenor ones while I was there, but now I am thinking that I would be better on Tenor Mouthpiece with a larger Tip Opening.
Currently considering Otto Link or Jody Jazz maybe 6*, have read about the inconsistencies of modern Links though. I would love to hear any suggestions / advise - the mouthpice needs to be rubber, I don't like metal in my mouth :confused:
Also if anyone knows of any reasonable priced second hand mouthpieces I may be interested :)
Thanks for reading
Jo

Saxlicker

Hi
Otto Link or Jody Jazz maybe 6*,
Jo
You could do a lot worse than these so I think you are on a good path.
I have to throw in saxscape as a suggestion.
A variety of models that are affordable and all the ones I have played make life easy enough. I would how ever not consider the Hudson or the Red River to be as versatile as you would probably hope for. Maybe the Namia would suit quite well.

Jobylou

Thank you for your reply. I just found a second hand Jody Jazz HR 6* so I am going to go for that I think :)
Now to find the best reeds to use!
Fun fun fun! :)

Saxlicker

Great!

Should that not end up happening, I thought afterwards about Philtone Pieces.
He does an Otto Link type piece and are often available second hand.

TomMapfumo

How is the reed situation going - are you using Java's or something else?

On Steve Neffs website he did a test of 9 Otto Link type tenor mouthpieces and Phil Engleman's Eclipse Tenor mouthpiece came second - it was decided by online voting. andyb1970 is selling the latest Phil-Tone in Yard Sale if you're interested.

Kind regards
Tom

Jobylou

Hi Tom
Thank you for your reply. Going to stick with my Jody Jazz and Javas and practise lots!!! Think that is the most important thing now :)
Also had a lesson last week and my teacher really liked the Jody Jazz, have been playing for just over a year without lessons, but I need some structure to my practise so am going to have regular lessons from now on :)
I was very brave last week and went to a Jazz Group - very scary and totally out of my depth but have signed up for enrollment in September (it is at a local college).
Time to up my game lol...

TomMapfumo

Good news!

My main sax teacher played a Jody Jazz HR* 7* and produced a good noise. I assume it is the Green Javas?! Well done in starting lessons and joining a Jazz Group. "There may be trouble ahead....."
Kind regards
Tom

Jobylou

Green box Java 2's at the moment with Jody Jazz HR6* :)
That song should be renamed - There will be trouble ahead! ;}
Cheers
Jo

Saxholder Pro
Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom