• New!

    Try our new Social Feeds, look out for the navigation icon: . You can now set default social feed view in your account preferences.

Saxophone beginners Just started the saxophone? Intermediate? Consider Posting Your Recordings

6441

Well-Known Member
Messages
5,847
Welcome to Café Saxophone!

In a recent conversation, someone expressed to me the idea that so few people actually post their work here.
Café Saxophone has one of the highest benefit to burden ratios of all user-driven content, aside from paid subscription lessons. Here you can post recordings at any level of playing and get encouragement and inspiration. Other than having a good teacher, constructive feedback is high on my list of ways to improve. Yes, you can continue to lurk, observe, take in all the (mostly) great advice and (mostly) good humor, but you shouldn't hesitate to post your progress and see what comments it may solicit.
For a start, I'd suggest playing one of the organized Song or Ballad of the Month. Feel free to go through the old ones, there must be hundreds of songs by now. Some are not hard and can be played in your first year.
It's worth thinking about recording, at least, because it alone will be a tremendous help. I listen to some of my older recordings and hopefully my intonation and articulation have both improved. These things take time, so I keep working, and part of that work is recording and listening back, making mental notes. Recording also gets you used to playing all the way through a song. I usually cheat by making sure the songs are short 😉

I mention this because I see a lot of new "faces" coming in, and that's excellent. The newer people aren't afraid to ask for help, and this is a good place for that. There are a few posts dedicated to how to record yourself. These days, most people have a phone that will make a recording good enough to use for your own private study. The high end phones can make very good videos, too.

We see you, now, let's hear you.
 
If anyone needs a shorter backing track, or a slower one, or in a different key, then contact me, and I may be able to help.

Nobody should feel shy about posting a recording - the standard of playing varies enormously, and that's how it should be.
And don't feel that you have to improvise - just play the tune as well as you can.
 
I'm not used to play a blues- rock -, soul - song ... for 5 minutes. It's often just a 2x12 bar, 8 bar, 24 bar, 16 bar solo and then fillings when the singer is not singing or horn background. You can cut the song as well and take the parts when you sounds best. To play "Hoochie Coochie Man" without vocal is not fun. But to play it with vocal and play the fillings/riff and add a solo is fun.
 
If you use Band in a Box or iReal Pro to generate your tracks, you can make them as short (or long) as you wish. If you download a backing track, you can load it in Audacity (free!) and cut out spots that make it too long. I sometimes take a groove and make it into a loop to play over. You can also change the pitch and speed in Audacity.
 
Playing and recording even short numbers as a soloist a is pretty always going to be challenging on many fronts. Even if you manage to get to the end without mistakes there's the whole business of mixing and then offering up the finished article.
I have made this comment before but will make it again as it's relevant. Modern DAWs all offer up really good editing and punch in along with pro fx and eq and dynamics plugsins as a basic feature Unfortunately many here still favour audicity which is an awesome bit of freeware but just manages and is not a real DAW.
The way I see it if you folks are prepared to make the time investment learning audicity then you would be better off learning how to use a industry standard DAW. It won't make you a better player but it will improve your recordings.
Many industry standard DAW,s can be obtained not not too much cash certainly for less than price of a decent mouthpiece.
 
The way I see it if you folks are prepared to make the time investment learning audicity then you would be better off learning how to use a industry standard DAW. It won't make you a better player but it will improve your recordings.
Many industry standard DAW,s can be obtained not not too much cash certainly for less than price of a decent mouthpiece.

For Apple Mac users, the obvious DAW is Apple GarageBand, which is free. It's a cut-down version of Apple's professional sound editing program, but it has all the facilities that I need. A lot more powerful and easier to use than Audacity.
 
Nice post, @randulo ! It convinced me to record and post something from a Snidero Jazz Conception book. It's titled "A Doll."


It's one of my current assignments from my teacher, and it's fun to play, so why not? I'm not happy with the tone at 0:33, Or maybe it's intonation? (I'm not good at picking up intonation--yet) It's a B natural on tenor. I dunno...anyone have any thoughts on what's going on there? It sounds hollow or something.

So why not something from the wonderful collection of BOTM and SOTM? Time management, basically. There are only so many hours in a day, and I'm lucky enough to have something to do in every one of them
 
I don't like babies, children, young people, or musicians. Musicians cry about inadequate improvisation skills and playing incorrect notes.
In my world, we teach people that self-expression and self-love is the key. We also teach people there is no wrong way to play a song.
Play it like mean it, because the Universe loves you.
 
A little heads up. today I noticed for the first time that out of the streaming hosts that I use Soundclick is the only one that really lets you upload your FLAC which it then changes to a bitrate of 328 for mp3 playback which is way better than soundcloud or bandcamp. that is. they pretty well all convert the FLAC to something like 120 kbps or that neck of the woods for playback anyway.

I know it might not be everyones favorite host but as they say at Tesco "every little helps".

Oh.heres a handy audio conversion site for gettin the flac from your Wav file if you don`t have a converter.

 
Last edited:
Drumming up beginner participation in BOTM and SOTM because I think it's beneficial for newbies to post and be heard. with possible suggestions from other members. You might post this in the same thread where it was a BOTM (if it was and I think so?)
 

Similar threads... or are they? Maybe not but they could be worth reading anyway 😀

Trending

Latest Song of the Month

Forum statistics

Topics
32,262
Messages
576,074
Members
8,083
Latest member
Reedswinds
Back
Top Bottom