support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Mouthpieces Just a Thank you to Pete!

Melissa

Locality
Northamptonshire UK
I have been trying to find my ideal set up for Alto and whilst going through Taming the Saxophone and listening to all the mouthpiece comparisons, I decided to try a Meyer, it has arrived today, that with the RJS on any of my vintage horns has literally thrown me- they did not sound anything like this using the vintage long scroll shank C* I have been using, I thought they would be pretty close together but Wow how very different they are, Thank you for that Pete, very much so, I am simply delighted that I chose your clip comparisons.. If anyone else needs mouthpiece advice the resources Pete has put up are absolutely invaluable.

Now, I can really get down to some seriously noisy practice!

Pete,:thanks3:

I have been trying to find my ideal set up for Alto and whilst going through Taming the Saxophone and listening to all the mouthpiece comparisons, I decided to try a Meyer, it has arrived today, that with the RJS on any of my vintage horns has literally thrown me- they did not sound anything like this using the vintage long scroll shank C* I have been using, I thought they would be pretty close together but Wow how very different they are, Thank you for that Pete, very much so, I am simply delighted that I chose your clip comparisons.. If anyone else needs mouthpiece advice the resources Pete has put up are absolutely invaluable.

Now, I can really get down to some seriously noisy practice!

Pete,:thanks3:

Meyer are the industry standard for alto - Phil Woods, Marc Russo, Cannonball (?) and others can't be wrong.

A lot of the custom mouthpiece makers appear to base their alto designs on the New York Meyers of yesteryear - Phil-Tone, Phil Barone , C.E. Winds, etc,

Another good one to try that Pete recommends is the Eugene Rousseau JDX Jazz Mouthpiece - to me it plays like a Meyer with a bit of an edge to the sound, but not as extreme as the Vandoren Jumbo Javas.

Have fun with the Meyer...

Greg S.

Eugene Rousseau JDX Jazz Mouthpiece - great mouthpiece that I use on my vintage Martins. Easy to blow and makes full use of the range of a Martin

Hi Prof, is it alto mouthpieces you are talking about. I have a JDX7 tenor mouthpiece. I find it anything but easy to blow.

I use a Rousseau on alto, which i like. i bought the same for tenor a while back-didn't like it at all, sold it on very quickly.

Back
Top Bottom