support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones John Packer Tenor

SaxMart

Hi just getting back into playing after tooo many years away but money's too tight to mention does anyone have experience of the John packer JP042 tenor as they seem to get good reviews?
Thanks

Well I don’t know much about the John Packer JP042 Tenor but have read some positive things about them.

If money is tight I would take a look at the Bauhaus-WALSTEIN range. I’ve only heard good things about them and have a Soprano from there stable. The bronze is the most popular I believe but the lacquered is the cheapest.

I don’t where you live but you can get the Bauhaus-WALSTEIN from:

Woodwind and Brass Ltd

If you live near Liverpool then you could check out Curly Woodwinds.

Whoever you buy from, try asking for a discount! You might be surprised :D

Hope that helps a bit!

Paul

Last edited by a moderator:
FYI, I am thinking about selling my bronze Bauhaus Walstein ts-p tenor. I bought it second-hand for £450, but it's essentially new. It was a quick purchase and my main reason for selling is that I want a brighter sound.

You won't go far wrong with JP. I have one of their ex-demo baris and it is a great instrument. Very nice and helpful people to deal with as well - it's worth making the trip to their shop if that's practical for you.

FYI, I am thinking about selling my bronze Bauhaus Walstein ts-p tenor. I bought it second-hand for £450, but it's essentially new. It was a quick purchase and my main reason for selling is that I want a brighter sound.

Try first with a brighter mouthpiece. Dukoff D chamber, Berg Larsen 0 chamber, Gary Sugal 106* Super Gonz II, Lawton BB .... all these mouthpieces produce brighter tones (more edge). "Baffled" mouthpieces. But it's always nice to buy a new saxophone!!

Thomas

Apologies if I've highjacked this thread...

What are you thinking of replacing it with?
A used YTS-23. My goal was to play a "cheap" tenor for a year and then replace it with something nice (£££) once I was in a position to properly play-test a number of horns. I've come to the conclusion that what I really like is the sound of a dark sounding sax with lots of high harmonic content (e.g. Keilwerth Shadow or Mauriat Black Pearl), but I'm not aware of anything "cheap" that would deliver that type of sound.

I rushed into buying the BW; when I bought it, I also tried a YTS-23 and preferred its tone, but I couldn't get on with that particular instrument. I didn't think the warm tone would be that much of an issue for me, but it is. As you've found, it's possible simply not to "get on with" a particular horn. I'm sure that most people will get on with the BW fine; many people like a warm tone, but wouldn't like the brightness of the 23...

Try first with a brighter mouthpiece. Dukoff D chamber, Berg Larsen 0 chamber, Gary Sugal 106* Super Gonz II, Lawton BB .... all these mouthpieces produce brighter tones (more edge). "Baffled" mouthpieces. But it's always nice to buy a new saxophone!!
Yes, I'm sure that I could go down the mouthpiece route, but I think I really need an intrinsically brighter horn.

I've been experimenting with mouthpieces and reeds recently. I'm amazed at the differences.... Taking your horn to a big shop and trying a few mouthpieces and reeds may be a much cheaper option.

Last edited by a moderator:
You won't go far wrong with JP. I have one of their ex-demo baris and it is a great instrument. Very nice and helpful people to deal with as well - it's worth making the trip to their shop if that's practical for you.
Thanks for your advice Bill the ex-demo idea seems a good option. Unfortunately I live to far from the shop so would have to be mail order. Did the sax need setting up or was that done prior to sale?
Mart

A player over here in Sweden is blowing a JP tenor and he likes his sax. Sounds good to! I think both BW and JP are good saxes. Otherwise I think used Yamahas are good saxes to buy. If I'm going to buy a "new" sax I think it would be a Yamaha. There are two fine Yamahas for sale near me: A YTS 25 for 4500 s e k (c £ 460.00) like new and a YTS 62S (serie I), recently overhauled, for 13 000 s e k (c £ 1300.00). Both saxes are something that I would consider to buy.

Thomas

Thanks for your advice Bill the ex-demo idea seems a good option. Unfortunately I live to far from the shop so would have to be mail order. Did the sax need setting up or was that done prior to sale?
Mart

Well, as I do love to tell everyone, my bari was first used in the backing band for Seals European tour earlier this year, so was set-up for and played by a seriously good (and very attractive) pro player, and came to me untouched from her fair hands. But the set-up is fine, as you would expect. I am confident that Packers staff would not let a sax out of the shop if they weren't happy with the set-up.

Well, as I do love to tell everyone, my bari was first used in the backing band for Seals European tour earlier this year, so was set-up for and played by a seriously good (and very attractive) pro player, and came to me untouched from her fair hands. But the set-up is fine, as you would expect. I am confident that Packers staff would not let a sax out of the shop if they weren't happy with the set-up.

That sounds interesting, thanks for your help and advice - just checking the piggy bank as I type
Mart

Yes, I'm sure that I could go down the mouthpiece route, but I think I really need an intrinsically brighter horn.

Changing mouthpiece will make lots, lots more difference to the sound than changing the sax. It's a lot cheaper as well. You could get something like a Vandoren Jumbo Java or a Dukoff D7 second hand for about fifty quid, and it would make a lot more difference than buying a YTS 23, decent sax though the Yamaha is.

Support Cafesaxophone

Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Back
Top Bottom