All fees from subs and sales are given to special needs music education charities

It's A Bittersweet Day - Need A New Alto

Nick Wyver

noisy
Subscriber
Ah well, after 47 years of playing the bloomin' things perhaps I've become somewhat less open to the opinions of others concerning my tone. Although, actually, I can't remember anyone sensibly commenting on it in the last 36 years (since I did a grade 8 exam and I'm not counting recordings - too many variables). So I find it difficult to regard it as an issue for anybody else.

If my tone really is an issue for somebody else then (unless they're very weird) it will pale into insignificance compared with what it means to me. If my ears tell me something's wrong tonewise then I'm not going to play as well as I could. Which is possibly bad news for everyone.

But having said all that, I certainly get your (Stephen and Jaye) points about less experienced players not necessarily being the best judges. I've certainly criticised the horrible noises my students have produced from time to time. :)

Colin the Bear

Have you considered that the intonation problems may be down to a mouthpiece/horn mis match.

A different set up might be the way to go to find the sweet spot on this alto.

OP
Veggie Dave

Veggie Dave

Sax Worker
Have you considered that the intonation problems may be down to a mouthpiece/horn mis match.
As jbt said earlier, Selmer didn't really know what they were doing with the Model 26. IIRC, it was the first sax Selmer designed (as the 22 was really a rebadged Adolph Sax sax) and it shows. The G# key is, er, unique ;) and the intonation is famously challenging.

I do honestly love it but it's time for something a little more modern and easier to play.

thomsax

The alto sax is the sax that I would miss the least. I sounds terrible on alto. I prefer to play tenor and bari. Have you tried to play the baritone sax? I tried to play alto for many years. One day a guitar player asked why I didn't play bari instead of alto. So I borrowed a bari and that was better for me. On bari I became a less problem for the band. Maybe you already have a baritone player in the band?

Ivan

Undecided
Subscriber
I think the title should say it's a bittersweet day

Farewell to an old but unreliable friend. Hello to exciting possibilities

thomsax

No, but baris are never cheap, plus the alto would get used a lot more than a bari.
I have heard some soundclips with you and I think you can be a bari guy as well. What would the Memphis and Muscle Shouls ... recordings sound without a beefy bari? Yes, an alto is easier to carry around. And a new bari is expensive. Weight .... use a harness .... If I'm asked to play they use to tell me to bring my bari. Not that I'm particulary good but there are not so many bari players around. I know a guy who bought a Th.....man bari to low Bb. A good bari for less money.

Ivan

Undecided
Subscriber
D'ya think, @Veggie Dave that you could be looking at getting another second hand Selmer?

I like the tonal possibilities on my SA80 and it seems to have accurate intonation. I was playing to a tuner for a minute or two last night in a cold environment, trying to find the right mouthpiece position and I was surprised at how dialable the tuning is

Also... Selmers, even my lowly SA80(1), are remarkable for their ability to maintain, or increase their value. So a second hand example is unlikely to cost you if you need to free the funds at a future point

Juss thinkin' y'understand

OP
Veggie Dave

Veggie Dave

Sax Worker
I have heard some soundclips with you and I think you can be a bari guy as well.
It's not that I don't want one but rather I need a new (to me) alto, which has to take precedence. At the moment I play in three bands, which equates to around 75 songs that I play on. A bari would only improve about 5 of them whereas around 25/30 need an alto.

Sadly it's all about practicality at the moment,

But one day. :)

D'ya think, @Veggie Dave that you could be looking at getting another second hand Selmer?

even my lowly SA80(1), are remarkable for their ability to maintain, or increase their value.
I have never played a Selmer tenor that I liked but I have no idea if the same will be true with altos. Having never played another alto I'm going to coming from something of an unusual reference point. ;)

Saxholder Pro

Members OnlineStatistics

Help!

Latest posts

Top Bottom