All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

Saxophones Is it possible to get a prototype (or abandoned idea) saxophone shopping online?

TenderLambs

Dear Thomsax,, spike, MMM and stitch and everyone, Thank you all so much for your comments and photos. I am overwhelmed...thank you, ---- for all your help and time and everything! Thank you. The saxophone is expected here tomorrow; hoping it does make it. I am thrilled to read all of the above. Hopefully, I can give you an update very soon on its condition and play-ability. Dear Thomsax, per your New King...how is your mouthpiece attached? That looks so unique. Or is it the photo that makes it look that way, as though the mouthpiece is narrower than the cork? That is one beautiful instrument, as all the photos you showed. Regarding the Bundy and Evette, etc., it reminds me of clarinets which also like the Evette could be made in Paris or Germany, and there were differences, but in a sense it was also a preference thing. Thank you for the link, spike...I can't wait to read all of it. Thank you, MMM for the photos. The similarity is amazing! Wow. Thank you stitich for the information, and sharing vital information about the La Sete stencils by Keilwerth. I believe I saw two lists that did not have it. The awareness is very exciting! And Thomsax, thank you again for all your time sharing what you did. I so very much appreciate it. Truly, I am thrilled for you and now for me! By the way...I had the impression that Keilwerth closed in recent past, but it is obvious online that there are 2020 models...do you know about that as far as the story on that? Thanks so much. I saw one just today online for some serious money, that is a 2020 model. Thanks.

thomsax

how is your mouthpiece attached? That looks so unique. Or is it the photo that makes it look that way, as though the mouthpiece is narrower than the cork?
It's a gold Rovner Deep-V mouthpiece. The design is a little special on the outside and inside. Long mouthpieces. A #8 is longer than a #10. John Laughter played (plays?) Rovner. I went to a "Boogie Woogie Burlesque" show and the saxman Bo "Mighty " Gustafsson played a Rovner. After the show I talked to Bo and had a close look at his mouthpiece. After that I ordered one. Big sound sound and the pieces are heavy to.
Rovner Deep-V tenor mouthpieces.
rovner 7mm.JPG

Here is "Mighty Bo" playing a Rovner on a Conn Artist 10M tenor.
View: https://youtu.be/T0V0sM2AyHM

thomsax

That is one beautiful instrument
Yes. it's a looker! I bought the sax with two Berg Larsen Stainless Bullet mouthpies (95/1 and 95/2). I gave the 95/1 to a young aspiring rocksax player. She was on an terrible Yamaha plastic;)!!!! We need more young and female rocksaxplayers! I was not sure if the plating was original? Gerhard Keilwerth confirmed that. @kevgermany knows more about the plating. The original pads is without resonators on the pads. I installed new with reonators. The "pepita"case is also very "60's inspired".
tnkgravyr.JPG

tnkcase2.jpg

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
I was not sure if the plating was original? Gerhard Keilwerth confirmed that. @kevgermany knows more about the plating.
Everytime @thomsax posts a pic of this sax I drool.

I know nothing (Mr. Fawlty)... But there is a catalogue on Basic sax where this is listed as an option. Black nickel, if I remember rightly. There don't seem to be many around.

TenderLambs

Hello everyone, I did get the La Sete in today, and the photos I saw of it did not do it justice. Way better in person. But two things...one half of the pads are not as good as described, but, also, there is a small part that is broken. I forgave the seller. But I can see it is up to us to fix the part. I do not think a replacement will be found, so we are attempting to do so. What I can see thus far of the rest...so happy with what I see. Also, what I never expected to see in a tenor saxophone was at the top, looking inside with a high power flashlight, is just some inches down a roundish metal thing with a smaller hole. I just never knew tenors had something like this inside of it. Looking down the bell, it is all quite beautiful. Although due to the broken issue I still have not played it, I can see that the rest all have great action, I believe...well worth it in so many ways.

TenderLambs

Dear thomsax, When I received it, the "shift lever" was stuck to the saxophone body....per your pdf chart (and thank you very much! I don't think any charts in all the books I have have that much detail, and particularly no name or identification for that part--that is broke). Online I did discover in my searching there are more names for this part, like octave rocker or octave pin, but really most charts do not name this part. Thank you so much for this very useful chart! I thought it was frozen per screws, rods, etc., so I immediately got the oil to let it do its thing. Then I realized that was not the issue. I have conversed with the seller, but I realized it is a mystery on what happened, and one of his photos show this part against the neck...I thought it was just adjusted to have great release from coming back down off the octave thing, like have great action there. But there was a glue blob and a tiny strip of cork behind there on the body, but more glue on the body to the left of the cork. Anyway, I do not know what happened, or if I am to blame either, but this piece was broke, rebroke, or became very faulty in shipment or broke on my watch or what. But it was stuck to the saxophone body--clearly before he sent it. So, seeing this part broke revealed an interesting part, by the way. The break is at a place on this curvy corner as it bends to go to the rod, like an angle shape - but molded three dimensional of course, but the break interior there like a perfect square metal wrapped around stuff in the inside, I have no idea what it is inside. It is truly like a work of art, but I do not know what the filling is made of. Perhaps some sort of cast was made. So, we went to the hardware store and bought JB Weld for metal (5020 PSI)(first time using it), and I got it glued together. Today, it looks good, but I am thinking about reinforcing it. Somewhere in my stash is a roll or two of embossing metal, possibly brass or silver coated, strong and thin, so I might try to make a type of cover for that area with more of this metal glue to hold it. I am told the longer the curing times are, the stronger the hold will be, and this one is long. I also learned it does not require air to dry; it is a chemical reaction only--to make it hard. By the way, another issue, there is a piece missing, at the end of a rod...I think it must have been missing for some time, but this whole piece works perfectly fine without it...but well, if I find a replacement, I will definitely do so...grin. Hopefully, I won't find anymore issues...grin. I had bought a box of five Vandoren reeds for tenor that are completely sealed even the box outside with plastic all over it, waiting for me...can't wait to use them!!!!

stitch

A picture (or two) is worth a thousand words!
Please show us the damaged (and/or repaired) parts, so that we can better understand.

TenderLambs

Greetings everyone! No I do not live in Australia. The neck does appear to be bad in the photo, but actually we looked at it again, and it is beautiful and super well made; it is awesome. I cannot complain about that at all. It has also a super support/brace below the curve. So, here is a photo---with one of my many questions...I was actually able to get a photo of the inside of the saxophone from the top and a few inches down inside is the dome with hole I inquired about. Is that normal for a tenor saxophone? I have no idea if that is normal overall for saxophones, but I just never realized or explored the possibility that it could have something inside. So, is this normal? The yellow/greenish rim inside is not a true thing at all...just the flashlight. It just looks like brass down there. Thanks bunches Also, I could not get a photo of
IMG_1780.JPG
the shift lever where it was broken but now glued together. Still waiting to work on it more after curing time is completed, that is, hopefully to strengthen it some more as I had previously mentioned.

TenderLambs

Dear Stitch, You are also probably wondering about the cork situation on this mouthpiece?? I definitely realized I was in for a cork replacement necessity, and it is true. I hope I have the correct size cork to replace it, and I do know how it is done. Before removing old cork and whatever was wrapped on top of it, though, I hope to see where it has been tuned to, as I am curious. The mouthpiece is now cleaned in various ways, and then a good wipe down with rubbing alcohol inside and out finished it. The ligature has a screw which has sludge so screw won't budge (and I am working on it as well to un-sludge it), and I can see whoever used this pulled it off and on as there are tons of resulting scratches on the mouthpiece. But after cleaning the mouthpiece, it does look usable. It does not have any brand name or number on it.

TenderLambs

Dear Thomsax, Your photos are beautiful! Wow, the mouthpieces look awesome. I am so happy for you. We are planning to buy the pads. People might ask...what about a music store? There is only one for miles around. Last time I was there, I was shocked! There were two saxophones to look at! It was amazing. I mean really, it was delightful to look at them.

Saxholder Pro
Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom