support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Is it cheating to go to a softer reed?

I seem to be getting a fair noise according to my tutor and I still have a box load left!!! Think I shall wade through these ones and then change to a better brand when they need to be replenished. If nothing else if they are stiffer to use it should help me to build my chops. Shouldn't it?

If they're working for you, stick with them. No point in messing things up by going on a reed hunt without a good reason.

Dawkes probably recommended them cos they know they work well with your mouthpiece.

In fairness they haven't even seen my alto or tenor. They just recommended them to me as a beginner. I am happy enough as I know no different as yet! So I shall just plod on until I am more experienced or they have all been used!

I found the Gonzales 2 3/4 to be made from good density quite consistent cane. Quite firm for the number. I cant remember atm which mouthpiece I was playing them with. Like all reeds that I get they needed varying degrees of adjustment to get them to work for me. Once adjusted I recall they played well, with good tone and lasted as expected.

I am still in the reed search mode. Mostly I play a Legere Signature 2 3/4 and am bouncing around with Rigotti Gold 3 S and Hemke 3 with my early 1950's Personaline on alto. I still slightly prefer cane but the Signaure is so much easier and others dont seem to notice.

A couple of the teaching pros that I know transition their students up to stronger 2 to 2 1/2 reeds as soon as students are producing notes. They seem to think it is better for the embouchure development too. Play til you get the burn and then relax for 10 min or so and then play til the burn comes again. The more frequently you do this the quicker the muscles develop and the longer the play time before the burn.

FWIW. In y current reed experiments with the above mpce a 2 1/2 is too bright when pushed a 3 is too subtonish when not subtoning and a 2 3/4 seems to be just right. Those impressions are based on traditional strength ratings a la Hemke and Vandoren trad

Last edited by a moderator:
Play til you get the burn and then relax for 10 min or so and then play til the burn comes again. The more frequently you do this the quicker the muscles develop and the longer the play time before the burn.

If your reeds are burning you need to spit more.

Fortunately, with plastics, they only get warm and droopy, i just cant seem to play enough notes fast enough to really burn.

Dave Leibman recommends practicing on scales and exercises til the eighths are clean at 300 bpm.............

The burn is the feeling one gets in a muscle when exercising it ...start doing situps until you cant do any more..... The last few the pain in your stomach muscles is the burn.

in music burning is generally nailing an improvised solo with lots of intensity and often lots of notes.

No, I quite trust Dawkes. However I cannot remember what I paid. I am playing notes and I don't find myself labouring so I think I shall just persevere.

Wasn't meant as a criticism. Online the Gonzalez is the cheapest reed they sell and I am sure they suggested the one they thought was most suitable to start with and coincidentally saved you a few quid...

Aaah. Understood. Yes, I agree with you. Have you tried them?

Aaah. Understood. Yes, I agree with you. Have you tried them?
No I haven't I use Rico Royal 2's and have tried the Vandoren 2's. I find the Rico's a bit brighter but yesterday when I tried out the new Windcraft mpc they both worked brilliantly.

TomMapfumo and Sam at Dawkes suggested possibly trying the Rico Jazz Select 2H.

I will probably give that a go with the discount I have been given for reviewing the mouthpiece :) :)

It's hard to judge quality by price. Some cheap reeds are great, some expensive ones are useless. I've been having some sucess with Chinese white crane on tenor.

Chinese sax, Chinese mouthpiece, Chinese reed. What's my favourite number? No7 with fried rice. Cantonese style. Ying tong ying tong ying tong ying tong ying tong tiddle eye po.

In my quest to find the perfect reed, I've spent way too much cash over the years. I've tried all sorts of reed/mpc combinations and I just suit a softer reed. I now prefer synthetic and have settled on Leger Signature 2 1/2 for alto and Fibracell med soft on soprano.

Be guided by your ears and what you like. As you develop your own sound you will want to try different combinations and it is a fun journey. You may never reach your 'reed' destination or you may arrive at it quite quickly but enjoy the ride and get off when you like what you hear. Good luck

or perhaps because they are the cheapest reeds they stock?

They are the only stockists of Gonzalez Reeds in UK apart from Reeds Direct that I'm aware of - combined with the lower price it could be a sales pitch, though Dawkes is a decent shop. I'd not recommend them for a beginner. They have similar hardness to the Vandoren Traditional reeds, and are quite dense.

What a quandry! I am just about to practice! Do you recommend that as beginner I change reeds? Do you believe it would be better for me to be on a softer reed? I am also going to try this fibracell that I have bought.