Tutorials

M/Pieces - Ligs Is a modern 'Selmer Soloist' that bad?

Phil

Commercial Café Supporter
Yes, some of the finish work is not so wonderful. The old ones are finished better but still, often not great.

You also cant really open the new ones much on a reface. The ones I have seen have little material in the beak.

Phil

They can be fine refaced but you will never get the reface price in resale...but its worth it if you play it.

OP
Alexandra

Alexandra

Subscriber
I've just recieved my Soloist D and it's actually pretty good. Nice flat table, even looking rails and decent sound so far. I'm using Vandoren Blue 2.5 reeds, which don't fully meet the table edges; the reed is about 1mm short on each side, but I don't see this as a problem.

I'm not wowed yet but I'll see how it goes!

Going to spend a few days with the Soloist and compare it with an AL5 that's coming tomorrow. It'll be a battle of the mouthpieces, back to back Bach.

nigeld

I don't need another mouthpiece; but . . .
Subscriber
I had my modern Selmer Soloist alto mouthpiece refaced and opened up a small amount by Ed Pillinger, and it's a very nice mouthpiece now. But as Phil said, I won't recover the cost if I sell it.

OP
Alexandra

Alexandra

Subscriber
I've had a play of the Selmer Soloist D (modern) and the AL5 on my Yany AWO10:

AL5 - Lovely subdued, warm & mellow tone. Minimum resistance and good across the range of the horn. For me it was too subdued; perfect for blending, but this piece isn't going to stand out in a crowd. I also had to push it to the very end of the cork to get it in tune which wasn't ideal. Not for me, though I can see it being a perfect fit for many. It's gone back.

Selmer Soloist - Loved the tone, dark and warm with the focus I was looking for and certainly living up to it's name. This piece can take centre stage if you want it to. It looked and felt well-made, and I tried a variety of reeds but struggled to get a good tone at the very low end (low C, B, Bb). This was the deal breaker, I had to work too hard for the low notes. It was also very tight on my cork. Not an issue if it was my main piece but my Meyer wasn't happy when I switched MPs.

I've sent both back but I'm still tempted by the D. I think I'll try several more D's and maybe hit on 'The One'.

Would a refacer be able to help the lower notes speak better by increasing the facing length and widening the shank a tiny amount (if that's doable)? I don't want to go much larger in tip opening, certainly not an E.

Alex

Nordbo

It's not difficult to enlarge the shank diameter - a dowel, sandpaper and 15 minutes will do the trick. Do not use power drills.
\Bo

OP
Alexandra

Alexandra

Subscriber
It's not difficult to enlarge the shank diameter - a dowel, sandpaper and 15 minutes will do the trick. Do not use power drills.
\Bo
Thanks for the tip @Nordbo However, I don't think I'd be confident doing this on a new MP. If I got one modified I'd ask the refacer to do to be on the safe side!

OP
Alexandra

Alexandra

Subscriber
Would a refacer be able to help the lower notes speak better by increasing the facing length and widening the shank a tiny amount (if that's doable)? I don't want to go much larger in tip opening, certainly not an E.
@Phil Is this possible? I'm asking as I know you're a master MP maker and refacer! Thanks.

Phil

The low notes should speak easily. That does not mean automatically that the facing length needs to be longer. It may be other areas of the curve that are the issue...not to mention that I find Selmer curves to be resistant and sluggish. But to answer more directly, there is no reason the piece cannot be made to voice properly.

Saxholder Pro

Members OnlineStatistics

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom