support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Injury of the month

jeremyjuicewah

Locality
Costa Blanca Spain
Last months was a bit gruesome, when the beagle bit through my bottom lip, so I have tried to make this months
more slapstick and suitable for all ages. On Saturday I got out of my chair (dont often do that so was a bit out of practice) crossed the room and tripped on the rug. My spectacles fell off my head, I fell onto them on the floor, broke the arm off them and got a black eye. If only there had been someone around with a vat of custard to pour on me and to kick me in the butt as I struggled to rise, I think, though a tad late, it would have gone very well for the end of the panto season. But I have often observed that there is never a custard carrying kicker around when you want one. When you dont, why, you are liable to find three all at once.

Cost of new frame for specs, 150-00 euros, glazing free.

Cannot wait for February.

Best wishes Mike.

Blimey Mike ...

You sure seem to be rather prone to accidents lately ... :shocked:

It was certainly a good move for you to stay in bed all day long on Friday the 13th, the day before you broke your glasses ... ;}

Cheers mate ... :old:

oh im beside myself .
Broke 2 ribs . Anyone ever had this issue?
I don't know how long it will take for me to play again?
:blush:

I am sorry for you. Some years ago when breaking up from work for xmas in Prague, we adjourned to a hostelry and got slaughtered. I came out of the bar ready for anything but the effect of ice under my leather soles. The fall was pretty heavy, two ribs gone. I went home, tore up a sheet longwise and wrapped myself up in it nice and tight. It took weeks for the pain to go altogether and a few years before the ribs stopped moving when I pushed on them.
I did not play the sax then, but I reckon you will be ok soon enough for music that does not rage, screaming devil music may take a while longer.

Good luck and stay as still as you can.

Oh yes, commiserations. Last time I did it, I has a lung infection as well which made me cough a lot.

I'd put the sax away for a while, shouldn't be forever.

It'll be a few weeks - you have to resist the urge to press to 'see if it hurts'

oh im beside myself .
Fell while mountain biking up Glen Clova, high above Loch Muick, which is near Balmoral. Hurt my hip and had to struggle to bike back down. Didn't realise until later that day that I'd also broken a rib. Two days later I got really bad food poisoning. Strenuous vomiting and a bust rib made for a pretty painful combination.

Was back playing after a couple of weeks.

Last edited:
A colleague was once knocked off his motorbike by a car turning across in front of him, on his way to work.
He was a "big" chap, in both dimensions, flew through the air some distance before hitting the Tarmac! and amongst a leg and an arm, he also broke some ribs.

Because he was a workaholic, he "worked from home" for a while.
One day, I was on the phone to him, passing on information, taking instruction etc for a piece of work we were working on, when the air turned blue - expletives everywhere!
I waited for him to calm down, and asked if everything was OK.

Turns out he has just adjusted his sitting position slightly to get more comfortable, but in doing so, the broken ribs had objected....a lot, apparently!

I broke a rib in the sequel of a nearly sinking sailing boat experience on a lake. The keel broke and boat went over with my 3 crew mates. I was sitting on the windward rail and climbed on the hull while my friends took a bath. I don't like fresh water so I stayed dry, at least that far. Later on as I was trying to bring the mast back from the depth of the lake by pulling on a rope while leaning on the side of the rescue boat and I felt a crack!

Since I was the only one that didn't enjoy a forced cool bath in the adventure, I had to volunteer to dive and collect our belongings in the half sunk boat. Luckily, it was non submersible. I can't tell you the faces at the hotel reception when later on the owner of the boat and I checked in to take a well deserved shower and dry some of our clothes. All our stuff were on the boat, therefore soaking wet! My phone had a lovely bubble floating in the middle of the screen. :eek:

I wasn't playing the sax back then, so I can't relate to how long it would be to return to practice. But 10 years later or so I made an attempt to get back to surfing as we went for a holiday on the atlantic coat near Arcachon. It didn't take long before I had to retire with serious pain in the very same rib area! That was the end of my already sketchy surfing career! :confused:

It's probably time to work on your diaphragm breathing technique! ;)

Ribs, yes. I broke a few of mine in a climbing accident once (1988). Not sure how many, my mom asked the Dr's how many and they said they gave up counting after 5. Apparently shoved some of them into one of my lungs, which deflated. Along with a broken pelvis and fractured skull, can't remember but I think that was it...neway, the point of the story, is that the only pain I remember, is when the nurses used to grab me under the arms and sit me up in bed...yes, broken ribs hurt :)

Before that, broke my collar bone (not too bad if you keep it still). Afterwards, broke my other wrist snowboarding (not really painful at all tbh, although was when the lady in the clinic tried to set it (twice) without painkillers...although the sound of the bone grinding was strangely worse than the pain itself. Snapped my lower leg in 2 skateboarding, (tib and fib) didn't hurt much tbh, quite painful when the Dr took my shoe off, but I had gas, so it still hurts, but you didn't care much :)

As long as you keep them still, broken bones don't hurt much, problem with ribs...you can't reeli keep them still

oh im beside myself .

Ouch - ribs hurt like hell and take a while to heal. I recommend you not read any jokes for the next few weeks.
Best wishes on your recovery - perhaps take a chance to brush up on your music theory / listening.

I am sorry for you. Some years ago when breaking up from work for xmas in Prague, we adjourned to a hostelry and got slaughtered. I came out of the bar ready for anything but the effect of ice under my leather soles. The fall was pretty heavy, two ribs gone. I went home, tore up a sheet longwise and wrapped myself up in it nice and tight. It took weeks for the pain to go altogether and a few years before the ribs stopped moving when I pushed on them.
I did not play the sax then, but I reckon you will be ok soon enough for music that does not rage, screaming devil music may take a while longer.

Good luck and stay as still as you can.

thankyou for your sharing.
2 weeks into it and im feeling so out of whack not practicing nor evercises. Rather usless.
Hate being unproductive

Last edited by a moderator:
I broke a rib in the sequel of a nearly sinking sailing boat experience on a lake. The keel broke and boat went over with my 3 crew mates. I was sitting on the windward rail and climbed on the hull while my friends took a bath. I don't like fresh water so I stayed dry, at least that far. Later on as I was trying to bring the mast back from the depth of the lake by pulling on a rope while leaning on the side of the rescue boat and I felt a crack!

Since I was the only one that didn't enjoy a forced cool bath in the adventure, I had to volunteer to dive and collect our belongings in the half sunk boat. Luckily, it was non submersible. I can't tell you the faces at the hotel reception when later on the owner of the boat and I checked in to take a well deserved shower and dry some of our clothes. All our stuff were on the boat, therefore soaking wet! My phone had a lovely bubble floating in the middle of the screen. :eek:

I wasn't playing the sax back then, so I can't relate to how long it would be to return to practice. But 10 years later or so I made an attempt to get back to surfing as we went for a holiday on the atlantic coat near Arcachon. It didn't take long before I had to retire with serious pain in the very same rib area! That was the end of my already sketchy surfing career! :confused:

It's probably time to work on your diaphragm breathing technique! ;)

ohhh I very sorry to hear about your retireing surfing.
With me I suppose it would help too if I were younger to speed up healing.
Any input on this is welcome too!
Thankyou

Last edited by a moderator:
My first broken rib came when I fell from a tea chest bass. My boot got stuck on a nail and I crashed into a stove. Didn't put me off music!

ohhh I very sorry to hear about your retireing surfing.

Oh, don't worry, once I get the guilty ribs silver soldered, everything will be back in order. :cool: I will be nicknamed the 'silver surfer', unless it gets some other pillars loose and then I'll be in very serious trouble... :(

Back
Top Bottom