All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians

Accessories Mouthpiece mods for facial injury?

Doodah

Locality
Ireland
Hi
Someone I know had a bike accident a few months ago and had quite severe facial injuries. He is a long time clarinet and saxophone player and has been trying to get back playing.
He has been having some difficulty and has done some research and come across this https://www.saxontheweb.net/threads...l9m1lafofYpg191NZdzK0AH4C2tJrhcnZIWkQtHlX8c-8
This is an old article, so I was wondering if anyone here has had any experience or knowledge of current accessories to help some get back to playing after a facial injury?
TIA

Pete Thomas

Commercial Supporter
Locality
St. Mary's
Without knowing the exact nature of the injuries or, more importantly, being a medical professional, this is probably going to be difficult to answer.

I think easing back gradually into playing, maybe with a softer reed, could be the way to go but only if advised by the doc.

Similarly any facial exercises could be useful and doable when it isn’t practical to actually attempt playing. For example the alternate smile/whistle exercise is great. But again only if advised by doctor or physio.

Vote:
Upvote 0

Dave Dunn

Locality
South Australia
I think you'll have to give a little more detail on his injuries and the limitations they cause. The thread you linked was interesting, where there's a will there's a way!
I've just had all of my teeth pulled out, so A: I'm wondering if anyone has played with no teeth, and B: I'm interested to hear about any aids that might help me too. I was thinking about trying to make some makeshift dentures for sax playing from mouth guards, but maybe I should be looking at modifying the mouthpiece, not my mouth.
It'll be interesting to see if you get some good suggestions.
Best of luck to your friend. :)

Vote:
Upvote 0

Phil

Commercial Supporter
Locality
France
Ive seen various mods in pictures. Most were self made. As said, it really depends on what kind of problem as well as size and type of disability. Ive seen a guy who added to the body of a mouthpiece due to Bells Palsy. Also, on the net there is a player who worked with a tech to heavily modify a sax due to him only having one arm. Like Dave, Im pretty optimistic that most things can be accomplished as long as you are still alive and kicking.

Vote:
Upvote 0

jonf

Locality
Betelgeuse
@Doodah I had a bike accident when I was 17 and landed very heavily on my face, causing a fair but of damage. By that time I'd been playing sax for a couple of years and clarinet for six or seven. I lost a tooth straight away and severely damaged loads more. My upper lip was badly damaged, I chipped my jaw and was in a lot of pain. After a few weeks the pain subsided and I got my teech fixed, and I found I was able to resume playing without to much change to my embouchure. I'd always favoured the wider opening, softer reed option which I stick with now. I took it quite gently at first and eased into it again, and I think that actually helped my recovery.

@Dave Dunn I subsequently lost most of my front teeth as a result of the earlier accident, and I now have upper and lower dentures. At first I had plastic, basic NHS ones, which felt very clumsy when I was playing. I subsequently got some better quality chromium cobalt framed ones, which have been great, they're very comfortable and playing the sax feels totally natural. I couldn't play at all without my dentures - I'd need a lot more lip strength to play without the support of my teeth. I am sure it can be done but it would be like having to learn to play again.

Vote:
Upvote 0

Doodah

Locality
Ireland
Thanks for the replies guys. I don't know the exact nature of the injuries. I don't know the guy well. We have depped for each other in various bands and there obviously hasn't been any opportunities to meet, so I was trying to put out some feelers. I have seen the modifications for one-handed saxophone, and have vague recollection of reading of long waiting list and rather high price.

Vote:
Upvote 0

Colin the Bear

Locality
Burnley bb9 9dn
Softly softly catchey monkey. Back to basics with an easy blowing beginner set up and see how it goes.
As far as toothless playing goes, dentures seem to be the way to go. A trumpet playing friend of mine glues them in for playing and smiling but removes them for eating. :D

Vote:
Upvote 0

Members online

Popular Discussions

London
Paris
New York
Los Angeles
Sydney
Moscow
New Delhi
Top Bottom