• New!

    Try our new Social Feeds, look out for the navigation icon: . You can now set default social feed view in your account preferences.

Saxophones How will Tariffs affect Sax Prices?

No reason, except I thought fritattas was more specific as a type of omelette. I'm no eggspert.
I say frittata, you say fritatta, let's call the hole thing off.

1753200253526.webp
 
But, I've recently been in the market for an alto sax and watched the price, new, of a particular make and model rise over a few weeks, even before this week's tariffs were initiated. Given that sax parts for country-specific makes are often sourced from China, it looks to me that even the humble sax might be affected in price or availability, in some, or perhaps all countries... But I ain't an economist, so any informed discussion appreciated
@Ivan , you posted your question in April, several months ago. Has the sax you were thinking about change considerably in price? Did you purchase it?

What are your impressions now, with 3 months Café community discussion on it?
 
@Ivan , you posted your question in April, several months ago. Has the sax you were thinking about change considerably in price? Did you purchase it?

What are your impressions now, with 3 months Café community discussion on it?
The price has edged up 5% in three months which is faster than inflation and if it continues over a year, might reflect 10% to 20% tariffs... Though it's a tiny sample

No I haven't made a purchase... It's surplus to requirements... But GAS might take control in the future
 
True, but being a pensioner for the past 13 years, it is getting harder for me to tell the Mrs., "Look what followed me home!" 😉
You need to get more practice at making excuses. Oddly my wife often encourages me to buy things that I’m dithering about although if it was a sop or a bari she might not as she doesn’t like them. I could probably get away with an alto or a clarinet especially a bass.
 
Last edited:
Or, sneaking things into the house. :manicure::optimistic:
I practice in an outbuilding... Where never the twain (spouse and GAS object) shall meet

That worked well earlier this year for a new alto. The crunch came when The Better Fraction attended a gig where I was playing the obviously new instrument

I was banking on her level of indignation being soothed by the location on the misty banks of Loch Fyne, and the provision of a particularly refreshing beer on tap in the bar (Jarl)

I got away with a light telling off
 
I practice in an outbuilding... Where never the twain (spouse and GAS object) shall meet

That worked well earlier this year for a new alto. The crunch came when The Better Fraction attended a gig where I was playing the obviously new instrument

I was banking on her level of indignation being soothed by the location on the misty banks of Loch Fyne, and the provision of a particularly refreshing beer on tap in the bar (Jarl)

I got away with a light telling off
When you get another tell her it was a present from your mistress.
After a few hours she'll laugh when you tell her you bought it yourself.
Then you get to buy lots of new saxes to replace the ones she's destroyed.
 
Interesting as this is it doesn't really tell us much, either about the effects of tariffs in general or their impact on saxophone players in the US. There are plenty of other baris to be had tariff free. The effect on reed prices might be more interesting as they rely heavily on imported raw materials and finished goods. You might be able to get by without a new bari but it won't be long before you need a reed.
 
I practice in an outbuilding... Where never the twain (spouse and GAS object) shall meet
This is why in our man caves, "What is spoken here remains here." 😉

There are enough factors entering in to complicate matters and we have no control over the market. Basically when the need matches the right pricing opportunity (and with the Mrs. concurrence of course 😉 ), it is time to press, "Buy it Now". 😀
 
The Jean Paul AS400 is going for $609.99 on Amazon today. That's the lowest price that I've seen on it since the tariff question was raised. Since the original question is regarding saxophones, I just don't see much of an impact at the opening price point level. The "premium bundle" at $729.99 and the Glory brand at $209.99 are unchanged from my last check.
It could be like the automotive market runs or at least used to run. The economy cars didn't give the car manufactures much of a profit. It was the luxury brands that paid the bills.
 
The Jean Paul AS400 is going for $609.99 on Amazon today. That's the lowest price that I've seen on it since the tariff question was raised. .... I just don't see much of an impact at the opening price point level. .... and the Glory brand at $209.99 are unchanged .... It could be like the automotive market .... luxury brands that paid the bills.
Thanks for the info and observation, @ESJohn . Ergo us paupers will still be playing. :thumb:

Back from the shop, cleaned the brass corrosion from scratches on back side then put a protective coat of Maguiar's auto polish over those areas to inhibit further oxidation, it also filled in the minor scratches. My Vito 7133T (Jupiter stencil) tenor now looks sharp without a worry of tariffs. 😉

2025-06-31 mi Vito Jupiter trasero2.webp
 
New sax new sax, you posted it twice.
New? Only for a grandchild. 😉

I bought it used in 2010, $400. (I posted that photo once, then using the BB Code for image, referenced the photo URL in another thread. Stored once, referenced twice.) 🙂

After my Army contract expired, I went to college on my own quid. Back in the 1970's, a high school grad into college showed me his new $400 HP scientific calculator, asked me why I didn't have one. ($400 in 1976 is $2,272.37 today or £198 in 1976 is £1,337.05 today). I bought a $100 TI-58 scientific calculator, did the same thing.

My aged Vito 7133T Jupiter stencil will do the same thing as a new Selmer STS301 ($3,359.00). Worried about tariffs and inflation? Not me. :sax:
 
News article in the Grauniad predicts the 15% European tariffs haven't yet percolated through to US consumer prices, yet. US importers are hit by increased tariffs and pass the cost down the supply chain

So maybe it's still to early to tell what impact will be made
 
Nothing much has percolated through so far, it's supposed to start in earnest today. Assuming there aren't any further changes it will take a couple more months I think.
 
Looking at the change in price of a Jupiter bari is not as exiting as looking at soaking ramen.

Day before new tariffs start juli 31

JBS 1000 Jupiter bariton prices in $ (1.1453 exchange rate Reuters)

Thomann nl $4.253
Sweetwater us $6.579

7-10-2025

JBS 1000 Jupiter bariton prices in $ (1.1639 exchange rate Reuters)

Thomann nl $4.304
Sweetwater us $6.579

The only thing that changed was the exchange rate. Still $51.
 

Trending

Forum statistics

Topics
32,295
Messages
577,003
Members
8,094
Latest member
nilocssss
Back
Top Bottom