support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

How to make backing tracks in BIAB - Band in a Box

Thomas, http://www.pgmusic.com/ is the best place to buy BiaB. The new 2013.5 version is due out soon. They always offer it at a large discounted price for a short time.

As for bells and whistles, the basic version does everything the largest packs do. It is just the Realtracks and Realstyles that would be missing. There are ways round that by buying just the extra tracks you need for your style of music. eg the basic version plus the jazz Realtracks. If you are making lots of backings then you will find out that you need more choice of RT's. The advice given is talk to customer support, you can do that live btw, see what they suggest. Or just buy the biggest version you can, all that does is buy more Realtracks/Styles.

Excellent, thanks Chris, that's very helpful.

Still not bought BIAB but getting very close now. I've ordered a MacBook. Should have had it last night but PC World let me down. I know I've asked some of this before but now that some of you guys have had more experience with BIAB I wonder if I could ask again and get some views...

Is the quality and variety of tracks you can create with just the basic edition sufficient or do you think its best to buy loads of real tracks packs up front? I'm really confused by all the configurations and add ons on offer.

Any views on Mac version versus Windows PC version?

Also any one heard when 2013.5 might be released?

I've tried to chat to PG Music online but possibly its the wrong time of the day for the states right now as unable to get any response. Will try again later.

Oooh just had a call from PC World to say my MacBook is ready for collection - exciting! Looking forward to delving into GarageBand tonight.

Unless there's some financial advantage to buying the add ons with the basic package I'd go for the basic package and see what you want to add when you're a bit more familiar with it.

I made some pretty decent tracks with Biab 2007. Some of the instruments are a bit naff but keyboard bass and drums are fair enough. It may take me years for me to explore and benefit from the full potential of this software. It really is great. I mainly use it for writing backing tracks for my own entertainment/practice but I have plans lol

I believe Chris has 13.5

I chatted to PG Music this evening and asked about pros and cons of Mac v Windows version of BIAB. This was what they said...

"The
program works equally as well on either platform; however, there are some differences between the Mac and PC versions. The main
differences are the Mac version does not have an audio track; Repeats, Codas and 1st-2nd Endings;and the Mac version doesn't support plugins."

I would imagine that the lack of Repeats, Cods, and 1st and 2nd endings would be quite a pain. Not sure what they meant by lack of an audio track. Any ideas?

Bit of a disaster as I think I may have wasted my money on this macbook (and they ain't cheap). Also found that SessionBand which I want as looks impressive and costs peanuts doesn't run on the macbook and is only available on iPhone and iPad. Not a good first day as a Mac User!

Thomas it means you can't record audio eg your sax playing. Not a problem in itself as not many do, preferring to export the individual tracks to an external DAW. In your case GarageBand. As for repeats etc just means you have to enter all the chords for any given tune but copy and paste can come in very handy. Plus once again most of the older guys like songs laid out as one single chorus anyway. It is still the only product that handles audio files from inputted chords to create full tunes.

Chris..

Thomas it means you can't record audio eg your sax playing. Not a problem in itself as not many do, preferring to export the individual tracks to an external DAW. In your case GarageBand. As for repeats etc just means you have to enter all the chords for any given tune but copy and paste can come in very handy. Plus once again most of the older guys like songs laid out as one single chorus anyway. It is still the only product that handles audio files from inputted chords to create full tunes.

Chris..

Thanks Chris. I hate the idea of having missing functionality so will have to do some thinking. Can't let the macbook go to waste though and don't think PC World would take it back now.

Undecided on Garageband. I might just see if I can install Audacity on the Macbook. I probably just need to invest the time to learn how to use the Macbook and Garageband properly but I don't have much time (or patience) unfortunately.

Thomas yes I know you can't record your playing BUT BiaB is not a DAW, never was and never will be. It is arranging software for want of a better word and there is nothing that can do the same. It all depends on what you want to use any of the software out there for?? Answering that question will point you towards certain products..

Thomas yes I know you can't record your playing BUT BiaB is not a DAW, never was and never will be. It is arranging software for want of a better word and there is nothing that can do the same. It all depends on what you want to use any of the software out there for?? Answering that question will point you towards certain products..

Its not the missing audio recording functionality that bothers me although always bugs me when one version has something and another doesn't. No idea whether the lack of plug ins could ever be an issue. I just have to choose whether to go Windows or Mac now. Sounds like Windows is a more rounded version but then I do have this white elephant mac to use for something.

Hi Chris, following on from your comments earlier (different thread) re waiting for BIAB 2014 before buying. Is this because the full year releases are usually more new feture rich than the half year releases? Or the discount/launch pricing is better? Or something else?

For the wedding (which is now 2 and a half weeks away) I'll play probably about 10 tunes. Some jazz standards and a few slightly more recent pop things (maybe Stevie Wonder's "You Are The Sunshine Of My Life" and Adele's (originally Bob Dylan's I think) "To Make You feel My Love"). Any suggestion on what sort of Real Track package bundles I'd best go for to cover those kind of things? I'm thinking maybe I get the minimum now, and then if I'm really into it upgrade and update when 2014 comes out. I'm never good at decisions! lol

If memory serves me right each half yearly release is heavily discounted. Both have a lot of new Realtracks/new features/ etc. But you would be buying in August and December. I think you would find the basic 'Pro' package limiting, I don't think it would do your wedding tracks. The 'Mega' pack now then the Everything pack update would be the best option but not the cheapest. PGMusic's customer service is live so you could have a chat with them and see what they recommend.

If memory serves me right each half yearly release is heavily discounted. Both have a lot of new Realtracks/new features/ etc. But you would be buying in August and December. I think you would find the basic 'Pro' package limiting, I don't think it would do your wedding tracks. The 'Mega' pack now then the Everything pack update would be the best option but not the cheapest. PGMusic's customer service is live so you could have a chat with them and see what they recommend.

Hi Chris, thanks for your reply. Just had another chat to PG Music. Still no sign of 2013.5 and they say that the Mac version won't be until "fall" (usually about 3 months after the windows version). They recommended the UltraPlusPak which is the version I was thinking I might go for. I asked if there was any way if I bought it today they could include a free upgrade to 2013.5 when it comes out and they said no as it will be more than 30 days (til the Mac 2013.5 version). I think I'm going to have to make do with a combination of BT's bought over the net and from iRealB for the wedding I'm playing and look at BIAB again when the Mac 2013.5 version or 2014 (Easter 2014) come out to get the latest features and a discount. However their parting shot was to tell me that "first time packages/buyers" don't usually get discounted on new releases i.e. its just the upgrades that are discounted (but that things can always change).

PS Their final final parting shot was a recommendation to keep an eye on the website over the next week or so for details of 2013.5 (meaning the windows version).

Last edited by a moderator: