All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

How to achieve 'Funk'

ellinas

Locality
Athens, Greece
@Malachi his name is john willmott. I know him from the Acid Jazz era band called the James Taylor Quartet.

As a hammond b3 organ player I always admired the work of Mr Taylor.

randulo

Playing alto 2 1/2 years
Subscriber
Locality
France
Wow, I was worried about my left hand fingers jumping too far away from the keys, maybe it's a funk thing?
Great playing by John Willmott. I see he plays a lot of straight jazz, too, nice.

OP
Jmoen3

Jmoen3

Locality
Colorado
@ Jmoen3. Hi:
These " Eastman St. " tenors have always interested me. If you get half a chance , your opinion of them and maybe a shot or two would be be great.
Many Thanks , ( if you get time )
Best
M
Hey Malachi,

I wrote a pretty thorough review of the horn here: Eastman 52nd St Tenor - Review and Experience!!

Let me know what you think!

On topic- I haven't gotten super funky just yet, but I'm working my way there - I'll share my new recording in another thread!

OP
Jmoen3

Jmoen3

Locality
Colorado
Also to note, one of my favorite musicians and the first pro sax player I ever saw was Eric Marienthal with Gordon Goodwin's Big Phat Band. It was amazing, and I still plan to play this tune one day:

Adrian63

Formerly Malachi
Locality
United Kingdom
@Jmoen3 ; it's going to take me time to go through this lengthy reveiw but I just wanted to thank you for your time. Looking forward to getting into it.
Have a great day
Best
M

sizzzzler

Locality
London
funk is all about the rhythm. Turn off the backing track and play as if you’re tapping out a funky drum rhythm on 1 note. Then add another note. Then another. Keep the rhythm. Pretty soon just open it up. Take this simple approach on to funk backing tracks and it will fall in to place.

Saxholder Pro

Members OnlineStatistics

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom
test6