All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

Great Funk and Rock Bari or Alto Players?

DyerA12

Hey guys, I'm looking for some fun new music to play and people to listen to. Who's your favorite funk, rock, or alternative of some kind bari sax player, alto player, or band that incorporates either?

- Allie

Jules

Formerly known as "nachoman"
fave bari players.... in a funk and or rock vein- Dana Colley from Morphine for his lyrical feel and blues-iness, The guy from Fela Kuti's band (don't know his name, sorry) for being seriously funky and powerful.. and, I suppose, you can't discuss funk bari without including The Doc from Tower of Power.... all great and all very different

MMM

Yes, I like Dana Colley a lot too! I quite enjoy Eric Leeds (Prince) on bari and of course the great Maceo Parker on alto. There's so many good players out there...

Cheers!

Mack

For funk it is has to be Maceo Parker - saw him in Exeter recently - great night. Not sure I could tell his playing from Candy Dulfer's in a blind test mind you.

For rock sax it's not how fast or complex that counts, but feel - I like Kirk Pengilly from INXS - all solos short, to the point, varied and suit the song. Like a drummer who can just keep the beat without filling every gap with another pointless fill.

David Hillyard from The Slackers was also good live at the Beautiful Days Festival last year - effective mix of ska/rocksteady with jazz soloing.

814jazzer

It's hard to go wrong with Sanborn on alto. Of course, he came out of Hank Crawford.

Although really a 'jazzer', Ronnie Cuber has a great sound and approach on bari that translates well to funk.

thomsax

Beside the players there are already mentioned, I also like: Steve Berlin (Los Lobos, The blasters), David "Woody" Woodford .... and in New England you can listen to Doug James (Duke Robillard), Crispin Cioe (CT!, Cracked Ice, Up Town Horns), Scott Shetler, Gleen Shambroom (The Love Dogs) ... . These players are good samples how a baritone can be used in the Rocksax field. There are lots of capable bariplayers out there .... .

Thomas

Top Bottom