support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones How much should i sell it for?

Hi all,

I am thinking to sell my bronze alto bauhaus walstein. Wonder how much i should sell it for?

Cheers

tom. :confused:

Hi Tom,

To be honest I can't tell you how much your sax is worth any more than I can work out how much mine are worth, but off the top of my head here are some of the things that you might want to detail that would help others advise you on price:

• Which version is it?
  • How old is?
  • What condition is it in?
  • Has it been regularly serviced?
  • Does it need servicing?
  • Any extras being thrown in with it?
Best wishes,

Chris

I bought my Walstein bronze alto from Nachoman / Jules for £200 in November 2007. It was used but just as good as new and I thought I got a very good deal.

Rhys

Hi Tom,

To be honest I can't tell you how much your sax is worth any more than I can work out how much mine are worth, but off the top of my head here are some of the things that you might want to detail that would help others advise you on price:

• Which version is it?
  • How old is?
  • What condition is it in?
  • Has it been regularly serviced?
  • Does it need servicing?
  • Any extras being thrown in with it?
Best wishes,

Chris

Hi Chris

I am not sure which version, i bought it about 3 years back and it costs around £350. The condition is good, i only use it once a week. It has never been serviced, i think it is still pretty new and in good working condition. Nothing extra as i need all my Mpcs back :=)

Anyway, just wanna get a rough idea of what it worths at the moment. Am thinking to get a Yamaha.

cheers

tom

My rule of thumb: (hold your thumb up while reading this, lol) Used horns in excellent condition are usually worth 20% of original retail price. (please don't throw things at me, besides its too far it would never hit me, hah!) An individual may give you more due to condition of the horn, etc. But selling a used musical instrument is not usually a winning proposition, I speak from experience.

I trade quite a bit on eBay, and in the UK at least you can get more than 20% of the original retail for a relatively new horn in excellent condition, particularly if it's a desirable model. 20% of the new cost of a BW alto would be just £70, and you'd always get way more than that here. Usually 50% or maybe a bit more. For a well regarded budget instrument like a Walstein you should do OK, and you're helped by the fact that, now they've established their UK market presence their prices are going up. £200 is a pretty fair guess, I reckon. The key to selling well is to use eBay, have some good photos and a very well written advert, with good written English. Be honest and clear, and point out what the current new price of the sax is. If there is a level below which you don't want to sell, set a reserve.

If you do get £200 for it, it means the sax has only cost you £50 a year. A quid a week, which is pretty good value.

The key to selling well is to use eBay, have some good photos and a very well written advert, with good written English. Be honest and clear, and point out what the current new price of the sax is. If there is a level below which you don't want to sell, set a reserve.

If you do get £200 for it, it means the sax has only cost you £50 a year. A quid a week, which is pretty good value.

Sell it on here and you will have a potential market of enthusiasts who know about B-W, probably know a bit about you and Pete's charity benefits. And you save the eBay and/or PayPal fees.

I bought my B-W here on Cafe Saxophone (or whatever we were called then) and it worked for me.

Rhys

It would be realy good if you could sell it on here, for all the reasons Rhys mentions, and it's certainly worth a try. However, Cafe Saxophone currently has 320 active members, whereas eBay has a vast audience. Much as I think Cafe Sax is a great resource, in my expereince it's not as effective for selling as the Devil's Junkyard (eBay).

Hi Tommy!

One of the members is advising a friend on what alto sax to get, below £450. He has been recommended to try a BW alto, so may be worth sending him a PM in case he is interested in yours - he is called "we'll meet again" or similar - in a thread in "Support & Suggestions".

Kind regards
Tom:cool:

I agree that if the horn has been looked after, then 50% - 60% of original retail is realistic.

The problem comes if there is damage or wear & tear, as tech costs are about the same whatever value of horn and can't be factored in as a percentage.

Back
Top Bottom