support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones How much is a Yamaha YAS280 worth

My opinion for what its worth...Its the same with cars, very much a case of diminishing returns, with the improvements probably not being fully appreciated untill you drive/play a lesser model

I thought all the 275 and 280 series Yamaha saxophones were manufactured in Indonesia...

Check by the serial number by the thumb rest should say where it is made...

Greg S.

My YAS 275 has "made in Japan" on it. I was told a while ago that they moved production for the 275 from Japan to Indonesia somewhere mid cycle. Presumably, the Japan made 275s don't have the glued bell.

Well I tried a new rental model that was less than a year old and the A to B was sticking and so was the Ab. The salesperson said he would look at it and said sometimes they stick and took out some special paper which helped it some but I still found the spacing for the a, b & c too close together and even after cleaning it with the paper ,the smooth flow from b to c key just wasn’t there. There was no smoothness and I don’t know if the saxophone wasn’t set up properly OR it could have very well been that I wasn’t use to it.

The overall sound was very nice and I loved that it was light but I had a difficult time getting the lower notes, compared to mine. I had to add more air to get the notes.

When I brought my old saxophone in to find a new case for it , a new geeky sax player came over and became interested in it. He basically told me that I would be best off refurbishing my old saxophone than purchasing the model of Yamaha I was trying out. He said that with a good tune up my saxophone would be the equivalent to a Yamaha 480 model not a 280.

Note: Not that it would not be worth the equivalent in monetary value but sound wise , it would , ( was what he said.)

He also instantly noticed that my saxophone was missing notes that the new saxophones had which surprised me. It also made me realize why perhaps there was more space for fingering on my old sax than the newer models. That makes sense.

So I didn’t purchase a Yamaha Yas 280. Instead I bought myself a brand new case, a saxophone stand, a new strap and some cleaner / disinfectant spray.

I’ll add some pics of my old case which was literally falling apart and the new things I purchased today. It was a very interesting and educational day for me. I learned a lot.

Attachments

• 3C65B407-13AB-41C1-8851-B887E6A17DDD.jpeg
    3C65B407-13AB-41C1-8851-B887E6A17DDD.jpeg
    60.7 KB · Views: 120
  • 4448BC5F-392F-4060-804B-273E91E24767.jpeg
    4448BC5F-392F-4060-804B-273E91E24767.jpeg
    171.7 KB · Views: 117
  • F51AFA45-8DF2-4B69-B379-2E4F77D4BBC8.jpeg
    F51AFA45-8DF2-4B69-B379-2E4F77D4BBC8.jpeg
    102.3 KB · Views: 120
  • C8B00BC9-AE0B-491C-8032-CB56E0578239.jpeg
    C8B00BC9-AE0B-491C-8032-CB56E0578239.jpeg
    156.3 KB · Views: 117
No doubt you've made the best decision there. Now you can get on and make some music. :thumb:

I think it was more that I was possibly expecting a lot more from a Sax that cost twice as much as my 280. Not so much that I didn't like the sound of the 62 but that it was really quite similar to the 280 (sound and feel). I have to say I felt the same about the other horns from Yanigisawa and P Mauriat that I played in the same £2.5 - 3K mark in that I was underwhelmed that I didn't get that sense of 'speciallness' from such an expensive instrument.
My opinion for what its worth...Its the same with cars, very much a case of diminishing returns, with the improvements probably not being fully appreciated untill you drive/play a lesser model
I agree there are diminishing returns. There are also no returns where a more expensive horn doesn't beat or isn't even as good as the horn you already have

I've found new tenor Yamaha in it's various forms, P Mauriat, even the much revered TJ Signature RAW and a Lupifaro Platinum didn't tickle my fancy over my old SA80ii. Not the same comparison as starting with a Yam 280, but my feeling of underwhelm might still be worth voicing

I was excited by R&C Two Voices, but it's a prime example of diminishing returns given that it retails a £7000

The other sax that made my heart sing was(is) Sequoia Lemon

I agree there are diminishing returns. There are also no returns where a more expensive horn doesn't beat or isn't even as good as the horn you already have

I've found new tenor Yamaha in it's various forms, P Mauriat, even the much revered TJ Signature RAW and a Lupifaro Platinum didn't tickle my fancy over my old SA80ii. Not the same comparison as starting with a Yam 280, but my feeling of underwhelm might still be worth voicing

I was excited by R&C Two Voices, but it's a prime example of diminishing returns given that it retails a £7000

The other sax that made my heart sing was(is) Sequoia Lemon

I'd be interested to hear about your experiences with the Sequoia. Despite plumping for a Yamaha (I think, if I was in the same position again, knowing very little about the Saxophone, I would make the same choice), being a bit of a contrary person, I find myself attracted to smaller brands, especially if they happen to give great bang for the buck. I think if I were to change my horn, and knowing what I know now, then both Hanson and Sequoia would be on my radar.

I'd be interested to hear about your experiences with the Sequoia
I keep meaning to do a write-up, but then a little bit of time to become properly acquainted doesn't hurt
both Hanson and Sequoia would be on my radar
I forget to mention the Hanson LX which I thought very fine when I tried it

But the Sequoia had more for less

I d still like to find a nice playing Yamaha to try out.

Wow! You’re a seriously loyal Yamaha user.
Three saxophones and one you’ve had for 32 years. That’s impressive. So you’re basically saying that even made in China it could be a great instrument.

I’ve got a Roland keyboard but I don’t know where it’s made. My car is Japanese made and I drove a Suzuki and Kawasaki which sound Japanese made but most likely made in the USA. Lol. Loved my Ninja.

I’m one of these people that research something quite extensively before I purchase it and I read many a review written by professional players who’ve had both Japanese Yamaha models and Indonesian made models , specifically , and they say they don’t notice any difference and I believe them because the reviews weren’t advertisements. They were written in forums like this from other honest members so I’m impressed. My instinct tells me I’d like the 280 and I think it would be nice to have two instruments.

Does the lighter fluid technique work on leather pads?
You know, I looked at the bottom pads and they don’t look that bad at all. I don’t think I need a total overhaul. I think it just needs some serious TLC which is what it’s going to get.

You’ve got a 62
A tenor
And what other one ? If you don’t mind me asking? You clearly like the sound Yamaha produces. Cool.

Yamaha YAS 62 alto purchased brand new Feb. 1986 with a Peter Ponzol Gold Plated Custom Neck and a C.E. Winds Five Spot Jazz 8M Aluminum Fusion Mouthpiece (based on a New York Meyer)

Yamaha YTS 62 tenor purchased second hand circa 2012 serial no. 16,ooo series probably 1985? with a Phil Barone Silver Plated Custom Neck and an Otto Link Super Tone Master 7* mouthpiece (tried many mouthpieces currently using)

Yamaha YSS 475 soprano purchased circa 2014 probably very earlymodel late 1990s early 2000s serial number 1700 series using Rousseau Studio Jazz SJ6 mouthpiece - I've been using this mouthpiece for over 10 years on various soranos.

Greg S.

I'd keep the sax out of the bag and on the stand to aid with the smell dissipation and not 'contaminate' the new case. I would also suggest getting some lavender bags and putting those in the case for when you do transport or store the sax.

Gently polishing the sax using a furniture polish can help rid the surface of any mustiness.

It took me a month of working on my Mark VII before the whiff had gone.

I'd keep the sax out of the bag and on the stand to aid with the smell dissipation and not 'contaminate' the new case. I would also suggest getting some lavender bags and putting those in the case for when you do transport or store the sax.

Gently polishing the sax using a furniture polish can help rid the surface of any mustiness.

It took me a month of working on my Mark VII before the whiff had gone.
Thank you! That’s exactly what I’ve done and to my surprise my saxophone doesn’t smell that bad at all any more. I aired it out and have been cleaning it. I didn’t want my saxophone contanimating the new case.
This weekend I’m taking it in to be fixed.

Would I be best off asking if the pads need to be replaced or just assume that they need replacing? They were last done 20 years ago. I supposed that’s a long time ago.

Thanks Matt

Yamaha YAS 62 alto purchased brand new Feb. 1986 with a Peter Ponzol Gold Plated Custom Neck and a C.E. Winds Five Spot Jazz 8M Aluminum Fusion Mouthpiece (based on a New York Meyer)

Yamaha YTS 62 tenor purchased second hand circa 2012 serial no. 16,ooo series probably 1985? with a Phil Barone Silver Plated Custom Neck and an Otto Link Super Tone Master 7* mouthpiece (tried many mouthpieces currently using)

Yamaha YSS 475 soprano purchased circa 2014 probably very earlymodel late 1990s early 2000s serial number 1700 series using Rousseau Studio Jazz SJ6 mouthpiece - I've been using this mouthpiece for over 10 years on various soranos.

Greg S.
What beautiful instruments you have. Clearly VERY selective in your choice.
How difficult did you find the soprano saxophone to learn?

Thank you! That’s exactly what I’ve done and to my surprise my saxophone doesn’t smell that bad at all any more. I aired it out and have been cleaning it. I didn’t want my saxophone contanimating the new case.
This weekend I’m taking it in to be fixed.

Would I be best off asking if the pads need to be replaced or just assume that they need replacing? They were last done 20 years ago. I supposed that’s a long time ago.

Thanks Matt
Any tech worth his salt would check the pads and advise if they need replacing. If they don't mention that they'd check the pads, I would ask at that juncture

One thing to note is that that do harbour some whiff so even after it's gone from the sax body it can remain on the pads but if aired properly it will dissipate.

Any tech worth his salt would check the pads and advise if they need replacing. If they don't mention that they'd check the pads, I would ask at that juncture

One thing to note is that that do harbour some whiff so even after it's gone from the sax body it can remain on the pads but if aired properly it will dissipate.

Thank you very much. Some people suggest using lighter fluid to clean the pads. Should I wait to see what the technicians say before I dabble in that direction first? If I don’t have to get a complete overhaul I’d rather not since it is quite costly.

The instrument is actually not smelling too bad lately. It’s improved substantially. Like chalk and cheese difference.

Back
Top Bottom