Saxophones How much is a Yamaha YAS280 worth

What should I expect to pay for a Yamaha YAS 280 that’s a couple of years old and in great shape. It comes with a sax stand, case, reeds etc. but has already had two owners.

Apparently the boy who owned it before never got into it and never had this one so it’s sat in the case like mine for a couple of years.

It’s a 10 hour drive for me to look at but it’s a brand and make I’d really like.

I asked why it hadn’t sold yet and the seller said because he hasn’t been offered what he’s asking yet.

Do you think I’m crazy? Lol... ok you don’t have to answer that one.

I don’t know how to add pictures.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pete Thomas

Chief of Stuff
Cafe Moderator
Bear in mind this is the entry level horn, I'd get your SML fixed up instead. Plus whatever the 280 is costing, I wouldn't pay the extra on petrol and time driving 10 hours.

For value on the Yamaha I'd check what they cost in a local shop and take off 40 - 50%

Rob Pealing

sax in a kayak (apprentice sax tamer)
Subscriber
I have a YAS 280 and am very happy with it. Long and McQuade price for a YAS 280 is Ca$1700 excluding tax. I bought mine on a month long visit to the UK , reclaimed the UK sales tax, paid the import duty and saved about Ca$500.

jbtsax

old and opinionated
Subscriber
According to my Terapeak Ebay research service, 7 used YAS 280's were sold in the past 12 months in the U.S. The prices ranged from $600 to $990 with the average at $744. There were also quite a few new ones sold by stores, those prices ranged from $1100 up to $1450 for silver plated ones. Hope this helps.

According to my Terapeak Ebay research service, 7 used YAS 280's were sold in the past 12 months in the U.S. The prices ranged from $600 to $990 with the average at $744. There were also quite a few new ones sold by stores, those prices ranged from $1100 up to $1450 for silver plated ones. Hope this helps.
Current new price for Yamaha YAS280 here in New Zealand is a staggering NZD3295.00 which at the current exchange rate equates to USD2230.00. For an extra NZD700.00 you can get the latest Yamaha YAS62 alto...:w00t:

Greg S.

I have a YAS 280 and am very happy with it. Long and McQuade price for a YAS 280 is Ca$1700 excluding tax. I bought mine on a month long visit to the UK , reclaimed the UK sales tax, paid the import duty and saved about Ca$500.
That’s a great price. The one I was looking at is $950 and here are some pics of it

Attachments

Yes that helps a lot. Thank you. That sounds about right then. Apparently this sax is only two years old. It looks so tempting but it’s a 10 hour drive.

Current new price for Yamaha YAS280 here in New Zealand is a staggering NZD3295.00 which at the current exchange rate equates to USD2230.00. For an extra NZD700.00 you can get the latest Yamaha YAS62 alto...:w00t:

Greg S.
Holy smokes. So maybe $950 Canadian isn’t too shabby. It is a nice looking horn.

Halfers

Finger Flapper
Subscriber
I understand the need to be pretty certain before starting out on a 10 hour drive for a second hand instrument! :oops: The cork looks sparkly new (if cork can sparkle!?) so it's either been replaced, or it's had a very short life out of the case with its two owners.

If it's still on the cards, don't let the student horn tag put you off. I don't have the experience of playing lots of Saxophones, It sounds as if your SML is potentially a great horn with a bit of work, but my 280 (Tenor Version), is lovely and the only real reason I'll look to upgrade it is because often we make irrational decisions to justify a purchase ;) Previous Yamaha models are probably higher regarded, but there is always something better out there..

But that 10 hour drive, though...

I understand the need to be pretty certain before starting out on a 10 hour drive for a second hand instrument! :oops: The cork looks sparkly new (if cork can sparkle!?) so it's either been replaced, or it's had a very short life out of the case with its two owners.

If it's still on the cards, don't let the student horn tag put you off. I don't have the experience of playing lots of Saxophones, It sounds as if your SML is potentially a great horn with a bit of work, but my 280 (Tenor Version), is lovely and the only real reason I'll look to upgrade it is because often we make irrational decisions to justify a purchase ;) Previous Yamaha models are probably higher regarded, but there is always something better out there..

But that 10 hour drive, though...
I actually DO believe that two young musicians owned this instrument for a very short period of time so it just sat in the case. That’s what it looks like and that’s what the man said. I’m thinking I believe him.

My SML IS a great horn and I don’t think I’ll ever sell it. I’d love to refurbish it but I’d also LOVE to own a Yamaha. It’s a very nice make and I might just make the trip myself. My husband won’t like it but it does look like a nice instrument. That would also mean I’m going to some strange man’s house by myself which is quite risky in itself.

Decisions! Decisions.! :popcorn:

I don’t look at this as a student grade only model. I regard it as an intermediate which is about where I am so it’s very suited for me.

Thank you for your input Halfers
Much appreciated

Last edited:
CAD950.00 is about NZD1050.00 so it sounds like a bargain to me...get the SML alto sorted and get yourself a Yamaha tenor and let the G.A.S. (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) begin...:thumb:

Greg S.
Oh hell no. Can I say that? :confused2:
If I get another saxophone it’s going to be another alto. I’m not doing the multiple instrument thing. I play keyboards and do killer vocals. I’m looking to be the best I can be on one brass instrument and that’s the alto. The tenors TOO BIG!!!:sax:

Thanks all the same though.

Halfers

Finger Flapper
Subscriber
I actually DO believe that two young musicians owned this instrument for a very short period of time so it just sat in the case. That’s what it looks like and that’s what the man said. I’m thinking I believe him.

My SML IS a great horn and I don’t think I’ll ever sell it. I’d love to refurbish it but I’d also LOVE to own a Yamaha. It’s a very nice make and I might just make the trip myself. My husband won’t like it but it does look like a nice instrument. That would also mean I’m going to some strange man’s house by myself which is quite risky in itself.

Decisions! Decisions.! :popcorn:

I don’t look at this as a student grade only model. I regard it as an intermediate which is about where I am so it’s very suited for me.

Thank you for your input Halfers
Much appreciated
I imagine lots of Yamahas get bought for aspiring players who don't get to grips with the instrument and decide to pass it on. At least you know that if you buy a good condition second hand Yamaha, you could be pretty certain you will get your money back if you decided the SML was everything you needed.

Good luck with your decision.

I imagine lots of Yamahas get bought for aspiring players who don't get to grips with the instrument and decide to pass it on. At least you know that if you buy a good condition second hand Yamaha, you could be pretty certain you will get your money back if you decided the SML was everything you needed.

Good luck with your decision.
Absolutely. It’s totally believable. I’m sure that not everyone in my music classes stayed playing their instrument. I can relate to that in other circumstances.

My husband knows I want this so has said I could purchase one brand new but I’d also want to fix up my old one and would feel far too greedy putting that much of a financial drain on our family.

If I drove to get this used one then the money I saved getting a used one I could put towards fixing my old one. I’m a good driver and fairly independent but I’ll absoluteky have to take my dogs with me but it’s doable.

Yep! I think I’m doing a ROAD TRIP! I totally want this saxophone. >:) Lol

Targa

Among the pigeons
Subscriber
This Yamaha is in very good condition at a cheap price but he hasn't been able to sell it.
He gets stroppy when you asked him about it.
Is it in a 'less populated area' and have you told him you intend to collect?
Could be a Yamaha in the Yukon is like a Selmer on Skye.

I know. The more I think of this the more I’m thinking of getting a brand new one. My biggest question is that the ones off amazon . com ( USA ) get imported from Japan and the shipped to Canada so they are actually made in Japan.

The ones from Canada seem to be made in Indonesia.

Ivan

Undecided
Subscriber
If you can be patient, more Yamahas will come up for sale... they are a common make after all

I wouldn't drive so far to get one, but that's not down to patience, it's because I find the Yamaha sound too clean

The Yamaha sounds too clean? :confused2:
I have so many answers for that but I’ll just say I like the sound of it. I’m not sure about driving that far either; especially not by myself in this weather. :doh:

I can wait. I’m just excited to play at Christmas time. Christmas music is always fun to play. :happydance: I found the faces. Lol

There's a YAS-280 in the Café Yardsale. Even with shipping charges, it should be cheaper than a new one.
For Sale - Yamaha YAS-280 Alto Saxophone setup by Stephen Howard
Yes it would be cheaper but I can’t try it out before I play it which I find crazy on so many levels but thanks all the same.
It’s from UK so shipping would be crazy to where I live and then what if I don’t like it?

I’m going to have to be more patient and really think this over more.

Top Bottom