support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

How many musical instruments do you have?

How many musical instruments do you have?

• Just the one

Votes: 6 8.5%
  • 2 or 3

Votes: 11 15.5%
  • 4 to 10

Votes: 27 38.0%
  • More than 10

Votes: 27 38.0%

• Total voters
Hey Nachoman,

I love them, I've played a lot of harps in my time, including marine bands and all the old fave's, but for me the ally comb takes them a significant way closer to being much more like a Jo Filisko custom harp, the metal comb gives them much more projection.

I kind of prefer the unvalved model (grey case) because intonation is much more on the button. I find that using the valved model (beige case), you get the flexibility of being able to bend almost any of the notes, but the intonation can go a bit awry in enthusiasm, if you're not careful when banging out a serious solo.

Add to this that they look the biz and have a nice weight to them, they feel good in the hands, the plastic or wood comb harps always feel a bit light and delicate to me.

It's well worth investing in one, for what ever key you find yourself using the most. I did, never looked back.

Cheers

T.

I'm just a beginner compared to you serious hoarders, so here's my list

2 tenors (1 restoration project)
1 alto
1 keyboard
1 twelve string acoustic guitar
1 clarinet (another restoration project)

previous instruments
Ukulele banjo
Trumpet cornet
recorder
electric guitar

I should've read the posts before voting in the poll....think I need to join "instrument hoarders anonymous" :D

1 Bari
2 Tenors
1 Alto
1 Soprano
1 flute
1 clarinet
1 violin
2 acoustic guitars
1 electric guitar
1 McCartney bass
Ludwig drum kit
Kurzweil studio grand piano

If I put in the recorders, piccolo recorder, tin whistle, bongos, harmonicas, kazoos, I will scare myself.

:shocked:

Don't worry Luluna, there's plenty of time yet!

Here's my list of shame:
Saxophones (various), clarinets (various), flutes (2), fife, piccolo, oboes (3), Uillean pipes, small pipes, recorders (various), penny whistles (various), low whistle/flute, occarinas (various), harmonicas (various sets), swanee whistles (various), trumpet, cornet, banjolele (don't ask!), acoustic parlour guitar, electric guitar, acoustic bass guitar, folk harp, cabasa, djembe, spoons, tambourines, guiro, bodhran, claves, jaws harps and a didgeridoo :( - keyboards, drum machine, Stylophone!

It was a lot worse ... I've moved on 2 trombones, a zither, an autoharp, a few C Melody saxes, some large saxophones, Anglo-German concertina, 3 accordions, a bassoon, a baritone horn, a tuba, 2 trumpets, quite a few guitars, a banjo, a ukelele, a mandola, a mandolin, several bodhrans and quite a few shakey/hitty things and, erm, a set of Scottish bagpipes.

Really I should have a lot more room in my place than I do :( ...

P.S. any instrument burglars should be aware that 1) the gaff is alarmed and fences electrified (broken glass on top of walls spiced with anthrax); 2) anything valuable is indelibly marked, serial numbers lodged with authorities and possible outlets and covered with radioactive substances; 3) I have a Rottweiler with a bad attitude problem; 4) the Rotty is more scared of my neighbours than I am, with good reason as they never sleep, always know everything that happens and eat Jehovah Witnesses for breakfast; 5) You can win the didgeridoo, darn thing, just write on a postcard ''I deserve a didgeridoo because ....'' in less than 35 words, make a £20 donation to Pete's charity/Shelter or the Musicians' Union Benevolent Fund.

*the winner will be the first picked out of the hat on April 1 2009 or once £10,000,000 has been raised for charity, whichever is the latest.
** the winner agrees not to reoffend until he/she has mastered the instrument enough to play The Yellow Rose of Texas with all the notes in the right order.
***the winner agrees to submit their NI number, Bank account details and pin number, a recent photograph, a specimen signature, their mother's maiden name, a DNA sample, their inside leg measurement, their correct date and place of birth, ethnicity and religious preference.
****all details will be held on my secure database and only sold/given away/left on a train at my whim

Just for you Chris!

Ian,

Sorry it took me so long to respond, especially as you set this thread up for me!

So here you go:

1 x 1930’s Original Tin KaZoo - it came with a useful information sheet, I note with interest the following statement,
‘Also Kazooists food intake must be considered. Beer, Garlic and chilli have a strange effect on the sound. Some people have been known to prefer this effect!’
I’m contemplating putting in a wedge baffle to see if that will create a more focused tone.

2 x Tambourines - One with steel jingles the other with brass Jingles. I have to say I’m very particular about my tambourine sound and have found that recording both and mixing them together, but favouring the steel jingles, sort of a 60:40 ratio produces the desired tone, warm with some edge and a chunky bottom end.

2 sets of claves - One dark wood set and one light wood set (honestly you can hear the difference)

1 x Cowbell - I nearly went for the fully annealed one piece hand hammered custom version but actually found the standard version was better, who would have thought it? I’m still considering contacting Inderbinen to see if they are interested in making a custom cowbell.

3 x Pairs of egg shakers, blue, day-glow orange and black - All sourced from different manufactures and tested prior to purchase, you’d be surprised how many you have to go through to find a matched pair.

4 x Hand shakers of varying size, shape and colour - Again hand selected for unique tonal qualities, one has subsequently been customised to exacting standards with the replacement of the two generic rubber band with two Royal Mail rubber bands - RM rubber bands have a higher rubber content that produces a warmer tone.

2 pairs of drum sticks (one pair being the Steve Gadd signature series) High quality sticks are needed for hitting the cowbell otherwise the tone suffers.

1 x Cabassa - I’ve removed the rubber handle as it dampened the tone and articulation suffered as well. I’m still not quite achieving the sound I have in my head though and might investigate some custom beads to see if that gets me any closer.

1 x Bongos - A new addition so I’m still discovering what they are capable of.

2 x Antony Dannecker harmonicas - a while back I’d just discovered Jerry Portnoy and the idea of a portable instrument to entertain my work colleagues seemed appealing, it ended up being a short lived venture.

Other than that I’ve a few saxophones and the odd guitar and a ukulele.

Best regards,

Chris

P.S. Thank goodness you didn't decide to ask us how many mouthpieces we own!

1 x Bongos - A new addition so I’m still discovering what they are capable of.
!

Bongos are quite capable of anything: Wikipedia quote ...
''Bongos are characterised by a striking reddish-brown coat, black and white markings, white-yellow stripes and long slightly spiralled horns. Indeed, bongos are the only Tragelaphid in which both sexes have horns. Bongos have a complex social interaction and are found in African dense forest mosaics.''

New Thread Alert!!!

Ian,

Sorry it took me so long to respond, especially as you set this thread up for me!

Other than that I’ve a few saxophones and the odd guitar and a ukulele.

Best regards,

Chris

I was disappointed that you hadn't replied and 'Other than that I’ve a few saxophones and the odd guitar and a ukulele' just isn't enough detail. Shame on you!

6 tenor saxes, 1 soprano.
Yamaha keyboard. (Can't play)
Harmonica. (It was my Dad's, but I don't think he ever played it, and I've only tried once. What an awful racket!)
Kazoo (from the "I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue" roadshow).