PPT

how long have you been playing

MandyH

Sax-Mad fiend!
Café Supporter
Locality
The Malverns, Worcs
I started playing descant recorder aged about 6-13, then I murdered the violin for about 2 years, aged 9-11, then was better with the trombone aged about 14-16. I started having Alto sax lessons 2 years ago come January. For me it was a relatively easy instrument to pick up after the recorder (very similar fingering) and I could easily read the treble clef. On Monday, my teacher suggested entering for March's round of exams - grade 6 this time. I'm somewhat petrified at the thought of the impro again, though :-(

thehunt

Locality
Studham Bedfordshire
2yrs nine months. Playing tenor. Have dabbled with a soprano but not for me, so sold that, also have an alto which is not played much.
learning the blues harp alongside the tenor.
Due to health reasons had a six month hiatus last year but back in full swing again, play in a band and doing my grade four ABRSM jazz exam next week.
JUST LOVE IT!!!!!!!

dooce

Locality
Daventry
Flute for 7 years, sax for 14. Long, long gap in between.......

TomMapfumo

Locality
Skabertawe, South Wales
Sax for 4 1/2 years (mainly Alto, then Soprano), Trumpet/Cornet/Flugelhorn for 4 years, Tenor Trombone for 1 1/2 years..........

Lewis.S

Locality
Hertfordshire, England
hi,

I've been playing four years on alto, played clarinet two and about half a year on piano, (still play all of 'em;}) did play recorder "/ and have had about two years on baritone sax, (still haven't got one though :shocked:)

Lewis;}​

JTMaul

I've been playing since 6th grade, so about 6 years. 1 on alto, 5 on tenor, and a bit of dabbling in Bari in between.

Cyprimole

Locality
Paphos, Cyprus
Hi All

Since April this year on Alto. (thanks again for all the advise we got from here) Trumpet in teens (nearly 50yrs ago!), remembered the reading music side of things which helps a lot!

Just started playing in RAF Volunteer band out here in Cyprus, which is helping a lot. Still having my weekly lessons.

LOVING it!!!!!!

Cheers

Baz

gladsaxisme

Try Hard Die Hard
Locality
manchester
started playing at fifteen so all in all 40years (am i really that old)

yep but not as old as me and OG and quite a few envious others;}

I'm a baby at it 3 yrs just, but really coming on now my only problem is putting the damned thing down and I'm starting to worry if the house can stand the lack of maintenance.Play or practice depending on how you look at it approx 5 hrs a day,it's a bit addictive isn't it:w00t:

Last edited by a moderator:

stefank

Locality
Hobart, Tasmania
45 years on flute. I can't remember when I started dabbling with sax (probably about 15 years ago) but I actually purchased one and started doing some work 5 years ago.

kostas

Locality
Chrisoupolis Outside Kavala northern part of Greec
Hell I don't remember when I first picked up my Dad's old Conn Alto. It was somewhere in the 80's:confused:, when I accidentally found it in a forgotten closet!!! My first days with a sax teacher were in 1990, for 5 months!!!:D He actually taught me things that helped me for several years, but since then I try to teach my self, it's a very tough road but I enjoy every step I make!!!Back to my story, in '91 I bought my first student class alto and made big progress with it. In 2000 I selled it and bought me a Yamaha YAS 62 wich I play till today, mostly rock ballads, but for the last 9 months I bought me a Cannonball Tenor Sax and started playing with a Jazz Quintet lately. This is the epitomy of my saxophone career I guess and enjoy it the most!!!!!!!But there were several time outs in my playing in all these years because of my work, that was taking literally all day from my life!!!:(:crying:
But now I'm back!!!!!!!!:w00t::w00t:

Locality
kent
yep but not as old as me and OG and quite a few envious others;}

I'm a baby at it 3 yrs just, but really coming on now my only problem is putting the damned thing down and I'm starting to worry if the house can stand the lack of maintenance.Play or practice depending on how you look at it approx 5 hrs a day,it's a bit addictive isn't it:w00t:
it sure is adictive, but what a great feeling when you feel you are moving forward, dicovering new phrases etc

Clivey

Locality
Edinburgh/Hot Rock off African Coast
Well here is some Arith for everyone to chew over.

Charlie Parker claimed to be playing/ practicing about 15 hours a day which over a year makes out about 5460 hours a year.

Now I`ve been playing for 30 years but only about an hour a day if I`m lucky, which equates to only about 11000 hours in total.

When we compare this to what Bird Might have done in the same time, about 163800 hours. It is very obvious to me that it`s not how long you have been playing that counts but how MUCH you play.

The good news is that we all still have a little time God willing. So let`s all up the anti and play a little bit longer every day. :welldone

BigMartin

Locality
Manchester, UK
When we compare this to what Bird Might have done in the same time, about 163800 hours. It is very obvious to me that it`s not how long you have been playing that counts but how MUCH you play.

Well, yes, but I really believe it's also a matter of quality in your practice. If you really listen to yourself and can be constructively self-critical, half an hour of focussed practice can be better than 2 hours of going through the motions while thinking about what's for tea. I don't think anyone should be using Mr C. Parker as a model for how to live any aspect of their life, and I'm including saxophone practice in that. I'd claim that nobody can practice usefully for that long in a day. He was clearly using it partly as yet another drug.

I've known some seriously good musicians in my time, and none of them was that driven.

Luluna

Café Supporter
Locality
Vermont, USA
Yikes :) Started in 1973 and played daily until 1985, then married, had 4 kids (not all at once) and picked it up again 3 years ago and have been playing 4-5x a week ever since and will NEVER stop EVER again ;)

Stephen Howard

Locality
UK
About 36 years for me, sax and clarinet. Flute a little less...say 33 years.

I'm notorious for not practising...or so I thought, until someone pointed out that I do about an hour a day at least due to testing clients' instruments.

Regards,

Latest: Members' Recordings