Taming The Saxophone

How long have you been playing?

How long have you been playing your main instrument?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

randulo

Europe
Subscriber
I would be interested to see how many people are in which group. I ask you to choose one instrument you consider main so we can have a fairly accurate count.

Wonko

I started in 2001, I remember that the day I had to go for my first lesson at the music academy, was the day the twin towers were attacked.
But since that day I had a few periods of non-activity.
Still, I think that the active periods add up to at least 10 years.....

nigeld

I think I need a different ligature
Subscriber
@randulo - By "main instrument" do you mean main saxophone or can I include a non-saxophonic blowy thing?

Ne0Wolf7

Ive been playing since fourth grade, now I'm just about off to college. I remeber the band director told me I was going to play trumpet, but I cried becasue I wanted to play saxophone like my grandpa

saxyjt

Loosing my job led me to start this amazing adventure. I had no idea it would become so important in my life.

OP
randulo

randulo

Europe
Subscriber
Yes, although I didn't choose guitar. I think what is interesting is wind instruments because I'm curious to see the average experience in years and I think others might find it interesting, too.

BigMartin

Not sure how to answer

Saxophones: 9 years
Baritone (which seems to have become my main sax without much conscious choice on my part): 7 years
Clarinet: 50 years on and off, but don't play it much now

OP
randulo

randulo

Europe
Subscriber
Yes, we'll see if anything changed after 9 years. Except, there's no poll, so unless you have the patience to do thae tally...

MikeMorrell

Netherlands
Subscriber
Good poll, @randulo! I just want to note there are many members who've played for less years than I have but play much better than I do. Either through more diligent/regular practice, longer tutoring or both. Talent plays a part too ;).
My point is that the 'number of years' is interesting. The progress that members make during these years may differ widely
Mike.
(Little tuition or practice)

thomsax

I started just before Christmas 1968 when I was 12 years old. But in the mid 70's I didn't play more than 2 times/week. I had a short football carreer with training 5 days a week and one match day. I consider myself being more a sax owner than a sax player. I will Rock On and Keep On Blowin' as long as I can.

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
@MikeMorrell makes a very valid point, I am reluctant to tell people how long I have been playing as I would expect me to be much better than I am. But in that time I lost a year to tennis elbow, I've had periods at work where I've been too tired to play much and last autumn spent more time on theory than playing....

Jx

GCinCT

Seeker of truth and beauty
Subscriber
Good poll, @randulo! I just want to note there are many members who've played for less years than I have but play much better than I do. Either through more diligent/regular practice, longer tutoring or both. Talent plays a part too ;).
My point is that the 'number of years' is interesting. The progress that members make during these years may differ widely
Mike.
(Little tuition or practice)
Excellent point. I think, not only in saxophone playing but in any endeavor that requires the development of skill, there is a big difference between 10 years experience and 1 year of experience 10 times. Sometimes an individual will reach a plateau and never grow beyond it.

Caz

been a sax owner for a long time - But only been truly dedicated for about 2-3 years

Top Bottom