alto andy

Locality
Southend on sea
Updated picture :)
image.jpg

alto andy

Locality
Southend on sea
Ok so it's the first jazz workshop night out for my zephyr tonight I hope it blends in and I'm in tune ha ha

alto andy

Locality
Southend on sea
Hope it goes well, report back won't you?

Jx
It was far louder than my Cleveland my clevleland also sounds more mellow . I think the zephyr has got to be controlled a bit more and I'm Having problems with the lower notes but it will all sort itself out . I would say the zephyr plays better on high notes and has more edge to it :) .

alto andy

Locality
Southend on sea
I just played my zephyr again tonight and wow something seems to have changed I'm really loving it . I tried it out on st Thomas a song that I haven't tried before and it really made it easy to add colour to the tune :)

saxismyaxe

Honored SOTW Ambassador
Locality
Native of the Lone Star state.
Zephyrs respond really easily down low when all is adjusted properly. If your issue doesn't sort itself out in a reasonable amount time playing your new horn, make sure it is sealing 100% and that the mouthpiece setup is a good match.

alto andy

Locality
Southend on sea
Zephyrs respond really easily down low when all is adjusted properly. If your issue doesn't sort itself out in a reasonable amount time playing your new horn, make sure it is sealing 100% and that the mouthpiece setup is a good match.
I will be on the look out to buy a new mouthpiece next year I will have to battle on until then :) I think I will try a vintage meyer New York bros next I listened to a student on youtube playing one and it sounded fantastic :)

alto andy

Locality
Southend on sea
I had a go tonight I think some of it was the fact I was tired from work but I had problems sounding a couple of notes I have had my Alexander reed for a couple of months and seems like it is loosing power :( so I will grab A new one see if this helps I did do a lot of long tone and scale exercises tonight I'm using the jackie Maclean book at the moment as an extra to what my teacher gives me to practice .

alto andy

Locality
Southend on sea
I have been having so much fun with my zephyr it makes everything More fun to play and I think I have it under control but will be changing mouthpiece very soon I am having one made by ed pillinger well actually 3 but I will pick my favourite . I chatted to ed for some time and he was very happy to help such a nice guy :) . I can't wait to see what happens because I love this alto and it already has amazed me with what it can do .

Reed Warbler

Locality
Marciac, France
Great that you have found a horn that suits you and really good news that you will have three top quality m/ps to choose from. Take your time choosing and have a selection of reed strengths to try, they can make such a difference. Reed variation poses the hardest part of the equation. I bought my first tin of Alexanders recently and 4 out of 10 were perfect, 2 seemed dead and the others were somewhere in between! There's a right reed for every m/p, one hopes, but it's not always easy to find.
Best of luck.

Locality
australia
hel
My zephyr is in for its overhaul it's going to be out of action for a month or maybe longer but I know it will be worth it .This is how it looks at the moment :)
hello there...i love zephyrs too,and have had a few in my time,alto,tenor and baritones....
the one you have would be the second of the series as the first series had a single socket neck,yours has the double socket....
i love the engravings on those early zephyr's,all art-deco.....
hope it goes well for you....
cheers,philip

alto andy

Locality
Southend on sea
Great that you have found a horn that suits you and really good news that you will have three top quality m/ps to choose from. Take your time choosing and have a selection of reed strengths to try, they can make such a difference. Reed variation poses the hardest part of the equation. I bought my first tin of Alexanders recently and 4 out of 10 were perfect, 2 seemed dead and the others were somewhere in between! There's a right reed for every m/p, one hopes, but it's not always easy to find.
Best of luck.
Cheers I can't wait for the mp to be finished as for reeds I'm going to buy one or 2 to see what is best funny though really I used to think the jazz reeds made a lot of difference but I had a new Rico orange box that my wife brought accidentally for my sons clarinet and it plays really good :)

alto andy

Locality
Southend on sea
hel

hello there...i love zephyrs too,and have had a few in my time,alto,tenor and baritones....
the one you have would be the second of the series as the first series had a single socket neck,yours has the double socket....
i love the engravings on those early zephyr's,all art-deco.....
hope it goes well for you....
cheers,philip
Have you got any zephyrs at the moment my one plays fantastic sometimes I can't believe what comes out and yes they are fascinating to look at a Beautiful sax :)

Locality
australia
Have you got any zephyrs at the moment my one plays fantastic sometimes I can't believe what comes out and yes they are fascinating to look at a Beautiful sax :)
gidday...yes i have an alto at the moment,not sure of the series but around the 350xxx serial# range....still has the double socket neck,but has the simple engraving and the "eye-brow" guards......great little alto and reasonably cheap...
also,just sold a baritone which was one of the best vintage bari's i have ever played sound-wise....lovely....it made me even think about looking for a big-band to play it in...sold very quickly and the guy loves it...i think he took it to papua/new guinnea....he also bought a zephyr tenor from me a few years back....
the zephyrs,even though i have never,"had one of my own",i think they are great horns and will always try to have all 3 sizes in stock....try....
good luck with yours....
i personally don't play alto...i play a conn 10M tenor....
enjoy it andy...
cheers,philip

Locality
australia
Hey Philip, nice to see you over here.
gidday mate....yes,i am on holidays,so i have some time for a forum or three....
i hope i find the time to visit them all...
i was listening to a soprano players utube link,ava maria,or something like that,made me want to get out the sop and give it a go too,get back to practice,but i am still on my butt here typing....
anyways,have a great day and talk soon...
cheers,philip

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Café Supporter
Locality
Just north of Munich
Orange box are jazz/all rounder reeds, slightly different cut though, and not as lively as some.

Top Bottom