support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

High Notes on Soprano Sax

Micheal Murray

Hey guys, wanted to ask you all about the soprano saxophone and playing the very high notes. Right about now I can get up to palm key D and play it in tune, but when I get to Eb and E, they are almost a half step flat! If I open the previous key ie Eb and D, E and Eb, they play in tune fine, but I was hoping there was some techniques/exercises. I could practice to get my away from that habit as it seems slightly impractical. Im on a Selmer S80 D and a Bauhaus Walstein Bronze soprano and 21/2 rico reserves, but I highly doubt its the setup, just thought I'd mention that extra detail. Cheers guys, so any techniques/exercises you could give me to get those high notes in tune would be much appreciated!

Regards,
Mike

Are you using the right hand side key as well as the palm key when fingering E? How does F sound?

Yes we add the palm keys one after the other and holding the three lefthand palm keys and the right hand E key we add the F# key with the right hand third finger and then on the sop, the G with the second finger if you have one.

Yes we add the palm keys one after the other and holding the three lefthand palm keys and the right hand E key we add the F# key with the right hand third finger and then on the sop, the G with the second finger if you have one.
I presume you mean key, not finger ;).

That's what you're supposed to do (on all saxes).
Not just the previous key, but all of them, so for E, you hold open the D as well as the Eb.

And for F, you hold open, E, Eb and D.

F# and G are notes I don't play on soprano. Well I did once and maybe that's why the cat peed in my saxophone case.

Not just the previous key, but all of them, so for E, you hold open the D as well as the Eb.

And for F, you hold open, E, Eb and D.

F# and G are notes I don't play on soprano. Well I did once and maybe that's why the cat peed in my saxophone case.

When I tried I peed in my own saxophone case.

Laughing so much, nearly just did it myself!