All profit supporting   special needs music

Beginner high notes

allansto

Locality
Frankston Victoria Australia
hi guys
I would like to refer you to a you tube clip.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2j3-lYm1gmM
Toward the end of the clip brian does a run up to like a high A
Or it seems like an A , my tuning jigger tells me its an A
Is he playing a Bflat tenor or an Eflat tenor
How does he blow those high notes????
I can blow a higher D ,an octave above high D but not all the notes in between.
so if he is playing an A how does he get the G ????
The best I can play above C, are C# D D# E F.
Regards
Allansto.

Pyrografix

Senile Member
Locality
Sunny Aberdeenshire
Hi Allansto,

As none of the usual suspects have answered your query, I'll give it a go! I think you'll find that he is playing in the altissimo range of the sax (which is a Bb tenor). If you do a search for altissimo, you'll find various fingerings for the notes outside the normal range - different ones work for different people/saxes. From my limited experience, it takes loads of practice to get these notes to sing clearly!

jbtsax

Café Supporter
Locality
Beautiful Springville, Utah USA
It seems a bit counter intuitive but the G is one of the most difficult of the altissimo notes to master---especially on the tenor. One technique* that helps is to adjust the opening of the front F to about the thickness of a paper match. This can be done by moving the adjusting barrel and removing some or all of the material between the lever and the bottom of the F palm key. This will make the front F a bit stuffy, and the front E impossible, but makes the high G easier to play with the fingering:

OK
Front F
Bb side key

To practice, blow a strong and loud high F with the front F fingering and then raise the back of the tongue a bit and lift the C key and add the side Bb. Once you can comfortably hit high G every time with this method, gradually put the front F back to its normal key height while continuing to practice high G. Once you have learned the "taste" of high G with the help of using the front F as an octave vent rather than a key opening it becomes easier to do it the regular way.

* From Saxophone High Tones by Eugene Rousseau

Reed Warbler

Locality
Marciac, France
It seems a bit counter intuitive but the G is one of the most difficult of the altissimo notes to master---especially on the tenor. One technique* that helps is to adjust the opening of the front F to about the thickness of a paper match. This can be done by moving the adjusting barrel and removing some or all of the material between the lever and the bottom of the F palm key. This will make the front F a bit stuffy, and the front E impossible, but makes the high G easier to play with the fingering:

OK
Front F
Bb side key

To practice, blow a strong and loud high F with the front F fingering and then raise the back of the tongue a bit and lift the C key and add the side Bb. Once you can comfortably hit high G every time with this method, gradually put the front F back to its normal key height while continuing to practice high G. Once you have learned the "taste" of high G with the help of using the front F as an octave vent rather than a key opening it becomes easier to do it the regular way.

* From Saxophone High Tones by Eugene Rousseau
My sax is just back from an overhaul. At first it seemed greatly improved, then I noticed the front F sounds flat. It doesn't lift the pad as far as the four palm key fingering. Should I take it back to the shop? Another question: some folk complain that long Bb sounds stuffy. Mine has become more so. Is this because the link to the Bb bis key is not well adjusted? Another reason to take it back?

Nick Wyver

noisy
Café Supporter
Locality
Minster On Sea
It doesn't lift the pad as far as the four palm key fingering.
It's not supposed to. The F is only acting as another speaker key. Try adding the G# key to raise the pitch a bit. Alt F fingering often seems to be rather flat on tenors. No idea why.

You should be able to check yourself whether the long Bb is operating correctly. Does the bis key close completely when you press F or F#? It's easily adjustable with the screw on the linkage (unless it's a vintage sax).

Reed Warbler

Locality
Marciac, France
It's not supposed to. The F is only acting as another speaker key. Try adding the G# key to raise the pitch a bit. Alt F fingering often seems to be rather flat on tenors. No idea why.

You should be able to check yourself whether the long Bb is operating correctly. Does the bis key close completely when you press F or F#? It's easily adjustable with the screw on the linkage (unless it's a vintage sax).
Thanks Nick. It is a vintage horn so I need the front F to play F#s. Will get in the habit of adding G#.

Reed Warbler

Locality
Marciac, France
Where do I find the screw on the bis key/ F linkage on a King Cleveland '59?

Popular Discussions

Top Bottom