support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones Heads up Cheap Tenor @ Pawnshop

Ads

Cashconverters Lewisham have a cheap Tenor up for grabs and are probably up for ofrers by now as it`s been there a while, it`s labelled "Rosehill" but it`s really a CORTON and they`re very a serviceable tenor indeed (kinda like a Paupers SX90 in a prehistoric kinda way) .. the Rosehill name is found on Chinese generics now and probably what is putting people off (who wants an OLD Chinese horn?) but it`s really an Amati :D

Great buy even at £159 , you could probably get it for £125 to the door .

http://webshop.cashconverters.co.uk/auction-item/789061/rosehill-saxophone

The black case could be that it`s a stencil export, I think the B&H powertone badged ones had it too, you can tell the case is original by the central clasp .. the one I had was an ordinary Corton labelled one (earlier without the fancy stamping on the bell guards) , the case was the usual light brown suitcase with vaguely sax shaped insides and a flip up compartment with the weird leather fastner which doesn`t .

It was a fantastic player, blew effortlessly end to end and had an SX90 type sound but lighter . those czech pads seem to last for ever from reputation. I`d still have it as a kickabout if it wasn`t for the left pinkie table, I got it to do the carolling last year to save the Silver 62 .. Jeremyjuicewah has it now, it even survived the trip to Spain !!

I remember those - the Lafleur case, same style but looked a lot better than the Diarrhoea brown lining corton one . if these saxes could be cheaply modded to have a Selmer style left table, they`d be killer second horns for next to nothing.

70s Corton

Corton-T-Sax-4.JPG

Great buy even at £159 , you could probably get it for £125 to the door .

Nope. I tried, they declined my kind offer.

They're probably still miffed at me since they sold me those two mint Sakkusu tenors (one with a superb Lebayle mouthpiece) for £100 each.

LOL ... Maybe they`ll accept the offer in a week or so . I really liked the Corton I had bar the LH table, it was cheap and very very cheerful, not in the least Boring . With CC (on anything) I usually ring to see what they`d accept , try and talk them down with "sale today" tactics and if successful, give them a lecture on how to pack the item in question (essential with a Sax let alone Synths, guitars etc )

Ads. I gave them a ring, to try and get a inkling to an offer price. I put a £110 cash offer with pick- up On the phone. End result. He said that that's about what they paid for it. Looking for the full amount at the moment. BTW . Did you mention in a previous post re. A Metal Clarinet on Preloved advertised as a Sop. I bought it for £20 with the idea of making it into a lamp. After stripping it, it cleaned up so well also had little wear, so I decided to re-pad it. Bought a set of leather pads for £21. Have agreed with Steve the seller to share some of the profit of the sale, as I told him I wanted it to make a lamp. Keep you posted.:)

Lafleurs play very well. Good intonation. They used to be the best of the rest in the 80's and were all that were available to the less well endowed financially. They are well put together with good metal. I busked & gigged one for years. However they feel like a Tractor compared to a modern Chinese. I wouldn't part with mine but they're a collectors piece or for the skint hobbyist imo.

The tenor I had was a "super" according to the neck, as you say it was a Label .. and Yup., the grey fergie of tenors . reliable like one too ! .

I`ve not seen a silver plate one before, looks better than the very basic lacquer they used on the brass ones.

Lafleurs play very well. Good intonation. They used to be the best of the rest in the 80's and were all that were available to the less well endowed financially. They are well put together with good metal. I busked & gigged one for years. However they feel like a Tractor compared to a modern Chinese. I wouldn't part with mine but they're a collectors piece or for the skint hobbyist imo.

Yup, a bit crude in the keywork, but blow well and as tough as old boots. I've found the tenor ones to be better than the altos, but that might have been just the ones I had.

More of a gentleman than someone who buys and sells and will quite happily rip off a lady to make a profit.
Which lady ? But I think it's prudent to give Steve ( the seller) a few more Quid. £20 for the Metal Clarinet is OK if I would have made a lamp from it, but to re- pad it and sell it on eBay for £100 + would be taking liberties, after telling him I wanted it to make a lamp.
And as it turned out Steve mentioned that he sometimes comes across interesting old wind instruments in his search for guitars, so it's worthwhile to be prudent. BTW. I made a lamp from an old ebonite Clarinet I have kicking around. Perhaps I'll post a pic.:)

PS. It just sunk in. The point you were making. Apologies :):thanks1:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom