support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones hawkes and son alto

crippin

Hi,
In the late eighties i came into possession of an old Hawkes and son alto sax wich was in need of a major overhaul. It was mothballed until i found the time (and the cash) to have the work carried out. Alas that time never came around and i still have an old alto that needs repairing. I have no idea of the date of manufacture as there are no markings, apart from the makers name and address "Hawkes & Son Denman St. London". I wondered if anyone could shead any light as to when this instrument was manufactured and maybe some other details that may be usefull. I no longer plan to repair this instrument as i don't think i could do it justice. I will, however be selling it on a well known auction site in the near future, hopefuly purchased by someone that will give it the attention that it deserves. I will try and include some pics if i can.
Thank you in advance for any info, it wil be greatly appreciated.
Ian (crippin)

Does it have anything else on the bell?

Hakkes and Son were active in the early 1900s, and much of their output is high pitch (HP). The modern standard is A=440hz, or low pitch (LP).
If there's nothing else on the bell then you probably have a high pitched horn - ditto if it says Excelsior. If it says XX Century then you're in luck.
A XX Century will be worth a few quid - a high pitched horn will only be of use as an ornament.

http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk/Reviews/Saxes/Tenor/XX_century_tenor.htm

Regards,

Hawkes & Son had a factory in Edgware until the merger with Boosey.

Is there an image of a boy skipping along while playing what looks like a recorder?
Rolled tone holes?
The low pitch horns generally have a 'b' stamped on the body between the D and E tone holes.

Last edited by a moderator: