• New!

    Try our new Social Feeds, look out for the navigation icon: . You can now set default social feed view in your account preferences.

Saxophone beginners Having problem with my sound (Alto Saxophone)

I am having a similar issue, but when I blow, all I hear is my breathing, what’s wrong?
If all you hear is a "breath" sound it means the reed is not vibrating. It could mean a reed that is too stiff for your mouthpiece and/or level of experience, insufficient air, or a poorly formed embouchure where air leaks out the corners. My best advice is to read through this thread and follow the advice given.
 
I see you've just joined the café. Welcome!

I agree with @jbtsax's comment that the reed is not vibrating (responding) as you would wish. Good reed vibration is IHMO mainly a result of a combination between mpc tip opening, reed stiffness (and position), embouchure strength and control, breath support/channeling. Finer adjustments can me made in the positioning of the ligature and reed on the mpc.

So there's no easy answer to your question.

In addition to @jbtsax's tips, I would add the following questions:
  • have you recently changed you 'setup' (mpc/reed strength)
  • have you previously experienced the same problem with the same mpc?
  • have you previously experienced the same problem with the same mpc and reed strength?
  • have you recently changed your practice schedules that may result in a weaker embouchure?

FWIW, 5 cane reeds out of a box often differ in terms of terms of strength, tone and and 'playability'. Most new cane reeds become more pliable (playable) after a few days.

My response is basically that you are the best person to assess what's changed so that you (now) get 'breathiness' when you play.
 
I am having a similar issue, but when I blow, all I hear is my breathing, what’s wrong?

It could mean that you are pressing too hard on the reed with your bottom jaw and stopping it from vibrating, or simply blowing too hard.

Try taking the neck off the saxophone, put the mouthpiece on the neck and try to get a tone. Then put the neck onto the saxophone and blow the same.
 

Similar threads... or are they? Maybe not but they could be worth reading anyway 😀

Trending

Latest Song of the Month

Forum statistics

Topics
32,260
Messages
575,945
Members
8,083
Latest member
Reedswinds
Back
Top Bottom