All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
PPT Mouthpieces

Saxophones Alto Saxophone Advice Needed!

Ponce Julius

Its been awhile since I posted and I need a little advice. I been playing saxophone for only a couple of years and I was taking lessons on Tenor (My dad's King Super 20). Recently I got my dad's alto back from my nephew. It's a Cleveland King Alto Saxophone and based on the serial number, I date around late 1940's or early 1950's. I'm playing with a Jody Jazz HR and Rico Jazz Selects and my Saxophone teacher loves my sound and says I should stick with alto cause he thinks I'm more talented on alto and I don't have to fight it like I was with the tenor. After doing some research on the horn, I discovered that its a student horn! I really think I found my voice on alto, but I'm wondering if I'm going to have to upgrade and buy a professional alto sax now. Both my horns have sentimental value because they belonged to my father who passed away two years ago. That was my whole reason for starting to play the sax because I wanted to keep his memory alive and play the same instruments he played. By the way, my father never played that alto. He had it in his possession, but he was a Tenor man. So anyway...opinions please...would I need to upgrade to a professional instrument eventually?

sushidushi

Mine's an espresso
I wouldn't worry in the slightest if the saxophone you are playing is regarded as a student model, if you enjoy playing it and it's working properly...

Andrew Sanders

Northern Commissioner for Caslm
If the sax means that much to you it would be a sin not to play it.
It's not the sax that makes the music it's the heart behind it. (Thank you Patience Strong!!)
Blow up a storm and think of your Dad.
Andy

thesaxman71

just play the alto you have now, no need to change and i understand 100% the sentimental value also, i had my tenor (YTS-62) over 20 years and and it is sentimental to me cos it was my teachers, i bought from his widow 20 years ago and i know he would of wanted it to be played...my sax aint the best in the world and i had many chances to buy top range models of sax but i always stay with my yts-62 and i am a pro sax player, played with many top world artists etc (not bragging), so it is possible, the sax is just a tool, YOU make the voice
p.s.
if it needs work doing to it then just get it done instead of getting a new sax, cheaper to do and probably better for you :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Ponce Julius

Thank you all for those words and advice! I feel a lot better now. I just didn't know if I had to upgrade to get a better sound. Now I feel better about continuing to play! Thanks again

Tenor Viol

Full of frets in North Shropshire
Café Supporter
The majority of the sound on any instrument is the player - this is as true on sax as violin or piano. Ignoring real duds, the only real reasons for upgrade are either mechanical/logistical, or you want a change of sound.

In the world of GAS, this is of course heresy :mrcool

sushidushi

Mine's an espresso
The majority of the sound on any instrument is the player - this is as true on sax as violin or piano. Ignoring real duds, the only real reasons for upgrade are either mechanical/logistical, or you want a change of sound.

In the world of GAS, this is of course heresy :mrcool

Well, yes indeed. Wanting another sax or several in the future is quite another matter, though nothing can replace the provenance of this one, of course.

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Café Supporter
Hi Ponce. I'd been wondering how you were getting on. Lots of good advice above. No need to upgrade. I've an old Buescher 23A. Student. Monster sound.... Maybe the fittings aren't as fancy as the pro models, but it roars.

Isaac Agyeman

Its been awhile since I posted and I need a little advice. I been playing saxophone for only a couple of years and I was taking lessons on Tenor (My dad's King Super 20). Recently I got my dad's alto back from my nephew. It's a Cleveland King Alto Saxophone and based on the serial number, I date around late 1940's or early 1950's. I'm playing with a Jody Jazz HR and Rico Jazz Selects and my Saxophone teacher loves my sound and says I should stick with alto cause he thinks I'm more talented on alto and I don't have to fight it like I was with the tenor. After doing some research on the horn, I discovered that its a student horn! I really think I found my voice on alto, but I'm wondering if I'm going to have to upgrade and buy a professional alto sax now. Both my horns have sentimental value because they belonged to my father who passed away two years ago. That was my whole reason for starting to play the sax because I wanted to keep his memory alive and play the same instruments he played. By the way, my father never played that alto. He had it in his possession, but he was a Tenor man. So anyway...opinions please...would I need to upgrade to a professional instrument eventually?

The majority of the sound comes from the player. Then the mouthpiece and neck. The rest of the horn you can forget about. I wouldn't worry about changing horns. A good player can get a beautiful sound out of any decent horn.

Ponce Julius

KevGermany....How you doing bro? Thanks for adding some advice to my question..You always had some good advice and encouraging words to say. I've been hanging with it bro. Just a constant hunger to get better. I've been driving myself up the wall trying to get these scales down. Learning scales and modes on bass guitar was so simple because its all a pattern. Learn the finger pattern and you can play major or minor scales in any key. On saxophone, there is no cheating the system! I have to learn my scales and be proficient...so, it's a learning curve!

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Café Supporter
I'm doing well thanks. Just wish I had more time for the sax. This forum eats into it too much. That and earning a living, looking after my kids.....

Staff online

Popular Discussions

Top Bottom