PPT mouthpieces

Harmonics, partials, overtones & fundamentals

Silliness is fundamentally strong within the human species, and it's overtones are quite well distributed. But to be fair, just as with art, harmonious minds fundamentally need it... life would be quite tragic otherwise.

Let me digress a moment. Let it never be said that I let things go easily. :) Looking through my files of acoustic studies I found this chart that compares the harmonic spectrum of F#2 played using different fingerings. It should be noted that F#2 played as the 3rd harmonic of low B has a spectrum quite similar to F#2 played on a "shorter tube" FWIW.

1581526049366.jpeg

It has the came harmonic components, as you would expect, but the relative strengths are very different, which you'd also expect since they are tonally quite different.

It seems to me that in addition to fingerings, it is the particular relative strengths of the harmonics that gives various saxophones their characteristic sound.

Let me digress a moment.
Me too.

Here's a previous chart you posted:
B1test.jpg

While staring at the chart, it occurred to me that the peaks resembled a sort of scale. So I played a chord made up of just B1 harmonics (rearranging and changing octaves):

B C# D# F# A

Not sure what the significance of this is, if any, but the chord sounds interesting.

@jbtsax may I ask which software you use to analyze and chart the sound spectra? Your graphs look nice and clean.
Virtins Technology If I remember correctly I purchased the "Multi Instrument Standard". I haven't used it in a long time and it appears I will have to purchase a new code if they don't have proof of purchase in their records.