• New!

    Try our new Social Feeds, look out for the navigation icon: . You can now set default social feed view in your account preferences.

Saxophone beginners Going to jam session tomorrow night

ok, well...good...bold of you...so the sesh is tonight.

Hopefully this is a friendly session, not a shred session...the latter actually turned me off to jazz jams at venues, permanently.

How are you at soloing go changes on the fly ? As in...you aren't familiar with the tune someone calls. Depending on the session, that is often a required skill.

Then again, you can always just say 'I'll sit this one out, thanks'.

Hopefully they will let you call a couple, that should be the norm. So have a couple or three which you feel you can solo over backwards and forwards with little problem...

Let us know how it goes...
 
I just got back from the jam. We played Blue Bossa, Watermelon Man, My Foolish Heart, Misty, Blue Monk, and Autumn Leaves, that I can remember. It was definitely a valuable learning experience. I think soloing with the other musicians was exciting, and I was learning to communicate a little bit as I riffed off things I heard the other musicians doing, rhythmically or whatever. I plan to go back to this jam session and there's a "workshop" I want to attend happening over the weekend. I definitely had issues with losing my place, but part of this was because I had to have my iPad on a table instead of a music stand. (I need to bring a music stand!)
 
Get a stand that is sturdy, don't cheap out.

You might try to play this transcription.
"Slowly" at first or all the time, as Autumn can be a bit on the sad side, to get your hands moving in a direction that you are not yet thinking.

Memorizing tunes, and your solo ideas, to bring to the sessions, even though you may vary the solos, shows a level of musical maturity, that is appreciated by the more advanced players.

Workshops are great.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mx2sxZmL5Io
 
Memorizing tunes, and your solo ideas, to bring to the sessions, even though you may vary the solos, shows a level of musical maturity, that is appreciated by the more advanced players.
Indeed. I am aware that these days music stands are OK for some jam sessions, but I’m sure there are definitely other situations where you really do need to play without. Plus you will probably play better if you are improvising and using ear/memory rather than reading.
 
Last edited:
Yeah, if you gotta bring music to a jam session, you're not ready.
I’m an old timer now and that’s exactly the way it used to be in my experience whether it was a jazz jam sessions, prog rock, funk or blues. But it’s fine to me that things change and there are jams for beginners as well.
 
Not me. I'll yell at the wind. But also to be clear, my comment isn't to discourage Alon. It's to inspire him.
I realise that, the deep end needs reaching whether you get thrown right in (as happened to me) or you
work steadily towards it from the shallow end. But whatever sooner or later you get more out of it if you ditch the water wings.
 
Well, the problem with the "gotta play without paper" idea is that it comes from a time when guys in their 20s lived in NYC, four to an apartment, lived on peanut butter sandwiches, and did NOTHING but play music all day long; AND they had a restricted repertoire. In the golden days of jazz, say 1928-1955, you played all the tunes your set of musicians played. So in '55, it would have been all the bebop favorites - probably a hundred tunes.

Now, most of us have to work for a living. Even if it's in music, it's teaching lessons, or band directoring, or writing arrangements, or sound engineering.

And most of us don't really want to do the four guys in an apartment, nothing in the fridge but a couple beers and some ketchup, living off the kitty.

And then, there's just SO DAMN MUCH music.

For me, for example, as a saxophonist and bassist, I'm expected to be ready to go on jazz from 1917 to last week, rock and roll from Louis Jordan on, country and western from the Carter Family to Blake Shelton, bluegrass, folk, etc., etc., etc., - it's thousands and thousands of tunes.

What makes actual sense is to have a quick reference, so I can look at a lead sheet, or chord chart, or hell even just some handwritten notes like "In Eb, first chord is the 4, first note is G, rhythm changes on the bridge". The much-derided supposed phenomenon of "head in stand, not aware of anything going on around him" doesn't apply to me, or to any of the other experienced musicians I play with who look at a chart. We see how it's laid out, and once the head's played, look away and play the music; but it prevents train wrecks.

Sure, if you are going to a jam session where the model is that you get up, call two tunes, play on them, then sit down, yeah, it's not unreasonable to have them by memory. If the model is different, like almost always with me, where you don't know what the heck is going to get called next, then a reference is handy. Even then, of course, there's going to be tunes that aren't in the book - but at least you reduce the number of trainwrecks.
 
Well, the problem with the "gotta play without paper" idea is that it comes from a time when guys in their 20s lived in NYC, four to an apartment, lived on peanut butter sandwiches, and did NOTHING but play music all day long; AND they had a restricted repertoire. In the golden days of jazz, say 1928-1955, you played all the tunes your set of musicians played.
Maybe things were different in London though as I remember many jams when you were expected to not have sheet music well later than 1928-1955 - I wasn’t going to jam sessions until the 80s and 90s.
 
Count me in with those who say it's not best to bring in sheet music (ipad) to a jam session. Far better to go home and learn the tunes that were called. Certainly, tunes like Watermelon Man, Blue Bossa, Blue Monk, and I could add a lot more to the list (ie. Sonnymoon for Two, Cold Duck Time, etc.) should be in your memory bank. Tunes like that are likely to be called at a jazz jam, but also at some 'blues jams'. And of course, there is a long list of blues tunes to know for a blues jam, where sheet music is even less of a good idea.

That said, Alon, well done getting out there and jumping into the fray. But yeah, lose the written page and learn the tunes likely to be called asap. Once you've memorized and internalized a tune, you'll play it much better than you did reading it. Especially after you've played it from memory on the bandstand a couple of times. You'll also find yourself improvising better on a tune you have memorized.
 
Maybe things were different in London though as I remember many jams when you were expected to not have sheet music well later than 1928-1955 - I wasn’t going to jam sessions until the 80s and 90s.
yes, but the attitude was forged in the earlier time.
 
Indeed. I am aware that these days music stands are OK for some jam sessions, but I’m sure there are definitely other situations where you really do need to play without. Plus you will probably play better if you are improvising and using ear/memory rather than reading.

Yeah, if you gotta bring music to a jam session, you're not ready.
Just my view on it.
Disagree, that is a bit of a silly litmus test, sorry , but...

Unless nobody had charts, this including the rhythm section players (and I would doubt HIGHLY that nobody else who participated used charts)....it's perfectly fine to bring a stand and a pad or phone.

The 'no music' thing is just one of those 'yardsticks' which jazzers, in particular, employ to make themselves feel superior to one another. It has no place in an open jam session.

I have seen it employed, but it serves no real purpose besides exclusivity. They will whitewash it as 'but it forces you to develop memorization skills' but that is, again, a whitewash. No such 'necessity' exists for a large number of players...and the skill will come with time and experience.

So, @AlonW , if others used charts, and didn't get sh#t for it, then bring your stand and pad next time.

The suggestion that 'if you go to jams you gotta have heads and chord changes memorized'...at your particular stage of development....and most members who reply to your threads have a fair grasp of where you are in your jazz development....

.....is just bad advice (sorry to say it bluntly). It takes a LONG Time to get to the point of no charts needed, for some. Nothing 'wrong' with that...nothing 'lacking' in that...and certainly no reason to 'avoid' diving into a jam session. Such thinking is actually counterproductive, IMHO....

Sounds like it went quite OK, honestly...why some of you guys find the need to throw in a 'but you gotta do THIS' to it, considering he really just dove in and the result was NOT a train wreck, but rather quite OK....is a bit baffling to me....
 

Trending

Latest Song of the Month

Forum statistics

Topics
32,261
Messages
575,982
Members
8,083
Latest member
Reedswinds
Back
Top Bottom