Goals for Year Three?

Pete Effamy

One important motivator is to define why you play. Why do you play? I play saxophone because I can. I need a musical outlet to express myself and saxophone fits the bill. I've tried piano, guitars and various strummed things, woodwinds, mouth organ. Saxophone suits. I get more out of saxophone with the least amount of conscious effort.

Don't set yourself technical goals or performance goals. Set yourself musical goals. You'll acquire the technical skills to accomplish your musical ambitions and you'll know why you want to succeed. Find pieces that motivate, move and inspire you. When you've mastered them, you'll be asked to play them.

Listen to lots of different genres. players, composers and follow what moves you. Anything played, can be played by you, given practice and dedication.

We never feel any improvement in ourselves and this can be demoralising. Many players are surprised how far they've come when answering questions from raw beginners.

It's a voyage of exploration. Launch a probe. Follow your heart. Take a break. Have a think. It may be time to listen for a while to find a new direction or to raise your game or both.
Yep, I like this Colin. Good points.

Pete Effamy

This to me would be a musical goal, taking a scale and making it sound musical
View: https://youtu.be/i51rNkIZtUE
Yes Nash is a terrific player. People often talk about talent. For me, talent is picking up the horn day after day, like dragging yourself to the gym when it’s dark and snowing.

It has become obvious to me in my time on here that if you ask a question about improving or a technique or whatnot, you’ll get two types of answer - structured and unstructured.

The structured/schooled way is only concerned with the best way of accomplishing A to B, B to C etc. The unstructured way is concerned with enjoyment and specific interests aside from or alongside moving forward.

My main lack of talent, like many is to not have the discipline to practice every day of my life.

To be good, you need to put in serious hours. To be world class you have to double it, every day.

I fear many will dismiss what Ted says here as he is coming from a point of knowing how much work it took to get to his level. Life isn’t that long, and it takes long enough to get to be a good standard so most pros will just answer a specific question with “just do h, i and j... but you already did a to g right?”

Dave E

For the last 3 or 4 months I've mostly neglected technique practice and concentrated on being able to passably reproduce various tunes for busking and gig goals. 'Bout time I devoted some proportion of time to technique practise again as per Ted Nash's advice; or the great Youtube clip advice on the Saxophone Standard which is quite nicely split into technique goals so you can follow it in small doses. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EE8c_Z4g0-s I'm sure I can find a suitable split ratio between technique time and tune time which will hopefully keep me happy without getting hung up/frustrated on technique problems..

OP
Zugzwang

Zugzwang

Subscriber
Thanks @Pete Effamy , for waking this thread up - strange to reread it almost exactly a year since I posted it.
I feel I should make a catch-up post: Goals for Year 4?
Current position
Still attending the Jazz Workshop and Family Orchestra, both currently on summer break.
Have given up on the street band - the tenor parts were so-so, and I reeeally cannot walk and play, (I saw them 3 times as a static band before joining, so the significance of the name escaped me :doh:)
Still haven't taken my horn to my local jazz club - I originally gave myself a year to do so, but it has become like 'sailing to the horizon' - always the same distance out of reach.
I have joined an online saxophone 'Virtual Studio' (though I have had to temporarily step out to rebuild funds to continue attending) - oh boy, the level is so much above me, I hesitate to name it further for fear of lowering it in prospective students' eyes. I thought there would be some other dummies (I mean beginner types) in there to huddle in a corner with, but oh my, no.
So my what-to-do next? questions of a year ago are silenced for now. Just need to keep on keeping on.:D

Pete Effamy

Thanks @Pete Effamy , for waking this thread up - strange to reread it almost exactly a year since I posted it.
I feel I should make a catch-up post: Goals for Year 4?
Current position
Still attending the Jazz Workshop and Family Orchestra, both currently on summer break.
Have given up on the street band - the tenor parts were so-so, and I reeeally cannot walk and play, (I saw them 3 times as a static band before joining, so the significance of the name escaped me :doh:)
Still haven't taken my horn to my local jazz club - I originally gave myself a year to do so, but it has become like 'sailing to the horizon' - always the same distance out of reach.
I have joined an online saxophone 'Virtual Studio' (though I have had to temporarily step out to rebuild funds to continue attending) - oh boy, the level is so much above me, I hesitate to name it further for fear of lowering it in prospective students' eyes. I thought there would be some other dummies (I mean beginner types) in there to huddle in a corner with, but oh my, no.
So my what-to-do next? questions of a year ago are silenced for now. Just need to keep on keeping on.:D
I admire your energy!

Colin the Bear

Wow! I should take my own advice. I can't even remember writing that. Nurse... my tablets are wearing off. Oh! That's right. I'm not on tablets and there is no nurse. Where's my saxophone?

Top Bottom