support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Big band Glenn Miller's birthday

Lovely thanks, I do like a bit of Glen Miller:)

Jx

I've played lots of Glenn Miller tunes over the years. It is interesting to realize that his music was the "pop music" of that era that people listened to and danced to. I was born just as that era was coming to an end. I know that it was inevitable that jazz had to progress and lose its popular appeal, but a lot of the music that has been created to fill the void is sorely lacking in my view demonstrating once again that I am just old and opinionated.

I've played lots of Glenn Miller tunes over the years. It is interesting to realize that his music was the "pop music" of that era that people listened to and danced to. I was born just as that era was coming to an end. I know that it was inevitable that jazz had to progress and lose its popular appeal, but a lot of the music that has been created to fill the void is sorely lacking in my view demonstrating once again that I am just old and opinionated.

We are all getting old and certainly entitled to an opinion. :)

Jx

I have tried very hard to get into jazz but it just ain't happening for me. I can certainly appreciate how well most of the musicians have mastered their instruments though.

I have tried very hard to get into jazz but it just ain't happening for me. I can certainly appreciate how well most of the musicians have mastered their instruments though.
Jazz is such a broad term. Isn't there any form or style of jazz that you are fond of listening to?

Jazz is such a broad term. Isn't there any form or style of jazz that you are fond of listening to?

Kenny G plays the music of Glenn Miller by any chance...?:rofl:

Many different styles of jazz - jazz, fake jazz, fake fake jazz, fake fake fake jazz, jazz-rock, dixieland jazz, bebop, hard bop, smooth jazz, jazz fusion, progressive jazz, jazz pop, avant garde jazz,... this is doing my head in...:(

Greg S.

That reminds me I need to find a definition for my music.
Post jazz? You can buy it by mail order.
Cool modern jazz? I like the sound of the word "cool" but it might be not fashionable anymore
Telly jazz? If it is on the telly it must be famous.

What I mean by jazz is Mr Coltrane "type" jazz. I just can't get into it. However....Earl Bostic, Gerald Albright, Dave Sanborn I really love.

What I mean by jazz is Mr Coltrane "type" jazz. I just can't get into it. However....Earl Bostic, Gerald Albright, Dave Sanborn I really love.

Welcome to the club - I really struggle with anything by and after Coltrane. My loss, I grant all you Coltrane buffs.

I was not a big fan of Coltrane's later "sheets of sound" improvisations. However I fell in love with his playing once I heard Miles Davis' Kind of Blue album and later John Coltrane Quartet Ballads. Coltrane is a musician of many sides like Miles Davis. You just have to search to find the side that appeals to you, kind of like Picasso.

I was not a big fan of Coltrane's later "sheets of sound" improvisations. However I fell in love with his playing once I heard Miles Davis' Kind of Blue album and later John Coltrane Quartet Ballads. Coltrane is a musician of many sides like Miles Davis. You just have to search to find the side that appeals to you, kind of like Picasso.
Will always listen......

That reminds me I need to find a definition for my music.
Post jazz? You can buy it by mail order.
Cool modern jazz? I like the sound of the word "cool" but it might be not fashionable anymore
Telly jazz? If it is on the telly it must be famous.

What about Italiano Euro Post Modern London Jazz? Has a nice ring to it...:rofl:

Coming from New Zealand and a diverse ethnic background I like to call my music Downunder Mongrel Funk Jazz...that about covers it...:thumb:

Cheers,

Greg S.

Great call for Kind Of Blue - a good introduction to Coltrane...you get the intense focused brooding playing of Coltrane with the joyous alto playing of Cannonball...I have a love / hate relationship with Coltrane, I love pieces like Naima and Alabama...but some of his playing...:headscratch:
Ironically a lot of my favourite tenor players are Mike Brecker, Ernie Watts, Jan Gabarek and John Klemmer - all influenced by Coltrane...
in this thread we've gone from Glenn Miller's birthday to Coltrane...:rofl:

Happy birthday Mr. Miller where ever you ended up...:(

Greg S.

I've been troubled by the often expressed view that John Coltrane isn't listen-to-able but then I hadn't heard much of his late career playing

My first exposure was a single album of his later playing then I worked my way chronologically backwards towards the Miles Davis era and in so doing I reached a state of unabiding admiration

I've just watched a good youtube documentary that covers the basics of his musical career and finishes with his utterly disassembled performances. Now I am less ignorant I realise how hard work he can be if one hasn't heard his more melodic early career

Back
Top Bottom